Allied AAR: Clearing the Niscemi Highway

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the CMx1 FOW icons, icons which seemed designed to cause incontinence episodes in the players. Up pops an AFV icon, which asks "Tiger?" Fortunately, it usually wasn't, but the pucker factor was intense until that got sorted out. Of course, if it WAS a Tiger, then you knew it was going to be a long day. It was a VERY long day in Tiger Valley!

Or a brutally short day:)

I also got a kick out of my green troops ID'ing every tank contact as a Tiger? It was quite entertaining.

TURN 9

Bil has opted to dash his force straight into the Orchards objectives, obviously aiming to get his men out of open ground ASAP and set up on the stone wall adjacent to the highway. As they enter the objective, they come into LOS of my main defensive line, and the rifle and MG fire starts up. One of my pack howitzers connects with a HEAT round to a Renault, which doesn't knock it out but causes it to start retreating.

I can see the tank contacts moving over to the west, by my last demo team. I'm guessing he is going to try a probe in that direction. If he does, he will have to go past my demo team, who are currently hiding in thick vegetation. With some luck, I can nail them with a demo charge.

sitrep.jpg

Ouch. my apologies. My grasp of UK geography is clearly slipping. I visited a pal who lived in Somerset and we went hiking on the Beacons... but I suppose we'd crossed the border without me noticing any guardposts.

Yeah, bit of an oversight, that. Guardposts would be a good idea. Pesky Welsh cattle raiders...

;)

Pesky Welsh cattle raiders...

Yeah - they steal our cows, teach them welsh - then slip them back over the border. The result - well how would you feel if you think you just eaten a nice piece of Lancashire or Wensleydale cheese then to be informed that it was in fact Caerphilly?

If it wasn't for the fact that us Anglo-saxons are such good neighbours, lord knows what would happen. I dread to think what the french would do in similair circumstances - probably test a few nuclear devices in Cardiff - or even worse flood the Welsh markets with green inedible apples.

And we'll not go into what happens to the stolen sheep.......:(

Yeah - they steal our cows, teach them welsh - then slip them back over the border.

They do?! The dastards!

If it wasn't for the fact that us Anglo-saxons are such good neighbours, lord knows what would happen. I dread to think what the french would do in similair circumstances - probably test a few nuclear devices in Cardiff - or even worse flood the Welsh markets with green inedible apples.

Yeah, we gave them their own Prince, too! Son of the monarch. And we hardly flooded any of their valleys for reservoirs at all. And built them all those lovely castles so they'd have a tourist industry. And the ungrateful nuggers burn our holiday homes...

And we'll not go into what happens to the stolen sheep.......:(

Oh, good. :)

TURN 10

And just like that, the battle really picks up. As soon as the Italians reach the edge of the Orchard, everything I have opens up at once: the infantry, the MGs, both pack howitzers, and the 60mm mortar starts firing with direct line of sight. The pack howitzers especially pump round after round into the advancing force. The Italian advance pretty much goes immediately to ground and the tanks are stopped in their tracks. They aren't routed or falling back, but they are definitely on their bellies, and that buys me more time until reinforcements show up. With return fire being ineffectual, I'm holding position, although I might have to shift if artillery spotting rounds start landing, now that he knows the center of my defense.

parav.jpg

killcu.jpg

I'm pretty sure the TacAI does not specifically aim at individual soldiers based on how they look or whatever.

Actually I do believe in the leader/gunner seeking bullet/shrapnell theory, but I don't have anything to back it up unfortunately ;)

I'm pretty sure the TacAI does not specifically aim at individual soldiers based on how they look or whatever.

I'm not. If you're right, it's just a combination of expectation bias and the leader actually leading. Though that observation too has no data to back it up, it's just that "every time" I get all "Gnyarrrrgh" about my leaders dying, if I go back and watch it, I can see why.

Actually I do believe in the leader/gunner seeking bullet/shrapnell theory, but I don't have anything to back it up unfortunately ;)

:) That one's easy. In a 4 man fire team, the gunner and leader comprise half the squad. So even on a random basis they'll get hit half the time. Add even the slightest confirmation bias effect to a slightly (but well within 1SD) above average hit to that class of pTruppe and it'll seem like it's a vastly unfeasible preponderance of the time.

TURNS 10-11

TURN 11

Bil apparently kept his Brixia mortars together, because this turn they clobber one of my pack howitzers. By the end of the turn, the crew is down to two, although it hasn't been knocked out yet. No further movement is made, although our forces continue to trade shots, with the firefight firmly in my favor, other than the howitzer being hit.

TURN 12

My surviving demolition team, stalking through the small stand of woods way out on the flank, finally becomes relevent when a Renault comes trundling right past them, followed by another. It hasn't seen them yet and is facing the other way, so I'm going to try something daring and dash the demolition at them. With luck it will be blown up with a satchel charge before it knows what hit it. The other Renault that moved past already should be moving into my second pack howitzer's view next turn. This gun is shielded from most of Bil's advance, so I should stay in operating condition longer than the other one.

Other than the Renault movement to the west, Bil's forces are completely halted for now.

sneaky.jpg

renaultsz.jpg