Possible Upcoming Announcement

I was checking out the CM:BN posted on the announcement board. At the end of the review it says, "For more, we can announce that the next game in the series will not affect World War II and will not be either a module, but a new development engine Combat Mission..."

Not to make any assumptions, but it sounds to me the next CM will be a modern simulation based on a new engine. Any ideas?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh BFC, hiding little nuggets like this in reviews written in French. Time for even more wild speculation!

That is interesting, maybe they were talking about CM Touch? I wouldn't think that they would announce CMSF2 or anything else in a new engine before they even finish CMBN. Unless the Bulge game will also be in the new engine. Then I guess the question becomes, is this "new development engine" a totally new CMx3, or more like CMx2.5 (aka the promised UI and editor overhaul + some other improvements)? Perhaps something got lost in translation. This just makes the wait for the big announcement even worse. :cool:

I would love some Korea game in Combat Mission style, simply due to the great dynamics of this conflict.

Would be a pretty logical decision, too, I'd say, since almost every piece of equipment already exists in CMBN or could be reused for a Ostfront game.

I was checking out the CM:BN posted on the announcement board. At the end of the review it says, "For more, we can announce that the next game in the series will not affect World War II and will not be either a module, but a new development engine Combat Mission..."

Not to make any assumptions, but it sounds to me the next CM will be a modern simulation based on a new engine. Any ideas?

So correct me if I am wrong..the next game is likely to be a modern war game utilising a new engine?

If that is correct, why isn't the WW2 game side getting the engine 1st? I can only speak for myself but modern war games=yawn

So correct me if I am wrong..the next game is likely to be a modern war game utilising a new engine?

If that is correct, why isn't the WW2 game side getting the engine 1st? I can only speak for myself but modern war games=yawn

Havent seen anywhere in that french article a mention about "modern". Could be Napoleonic wars for all I know!

This is what the review says...

"For more, we can announce that the next game in the series will not be about World War II and it will not be a module, but a new evolution of the Combat Mission engine ... "

I don't think this means a completely new engine but improvement on the exsisting CMx2 engine as we saw from CMSF to CMBN. New enviroment support and new features. Fire? Basements? Destructable trees? Who knows. I guess we will find out sooner or later ;)

It has however been awfully quiet from Battlefront and that always means that they are up to something.

Havent seen anywhere in that french article a mention about "modern". Could be Napoleonic wars for all I know!

This is what the review says...

"For more, we can announce that the next game in the series will not be about World War II and it will not be a module, but a new evolution of the Combat Mission engine ... "

I don't think this means a completely new engine but improvement on the exsisting CMx2 engine as we saw from CMSF to CMBN. New enviroment support and new features. Fire? Basements? Destructable trees? Who knows. I guess we will find out sooner or later ;)

It has however been awfully quiet from Battlefront and that always means that they are up to something.

Armour covered arc?! :D

I doubt they'd postpone WWII development. The plan from way back was stated that a new Modern game would be designed along side any WWII stuff. But man, you don't know what you're missing! I kept an open mind when CMSF was announced (but not knowing if I'd like it) and man, what a blast...got introduced to all kinds of cool new vehicles and stuff. It was fun learning about all the kit and armor and IFVs...I can't wait to have that again in a temperate setting!

Mord.

I doubt they'd postpone WWII development. The plan from way back was stated that a new Modern game would be designed along side any WWII stuff. But man, you don't know what you're missing! I kept an open mind when CMSF was announced (but not knowing if I'd like it) and man, what a blast...got introduced to all kinds of cool new vehicles and stuff. It was fun learning about all the kit and armor and IFVs...I can't wait to have that again in a temperate setting!

Mord.

Agree with Mord. Modern setting is different but I like to take a break from WWII from time to time and try some other tactics. CMSF is fun in its´own way, I'm still playing it actually.

The problem with CMSF is that the Red side is restricted due to their weapons so it almost never puts up a good fight. This is something that I missed and that I hope will be present in the new game.

Combat Mission: Before Agincourt.

• It's armoured warfare (to a degree and of a kind).
  • The natural terrain features are already done, and some of the building types.
  • The engine has lots of capacity for modelling accurate armour penetration on a 1-for-1 projectile/armour interaction basis.
  • You wanted horses!

Obvious, really.

Mord.

Mord,

I purchased CMSF, Brits and the marines..played it and then put them away. Modern warfare is not my gig.