Mouse recommendations

Quick question for CMBN players.

I've been using a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse for years, but I've started having problems with a sore index finger from constant use of the scroll wheel. I'm considering moving to a track ball mouse.

Yes, I know how to read user reviews on Amazon like anybody else, but I thought I'd sound out my friends at the CMBN forums for anyone who has experienced a similar problem and see if the use of a trackball really helped them.

Also I'd appreciate any input on a trackball mouse someone might use that they find particularly well-suited for use with Combat Mission (buttons, etc.)

I'm a fan of the (discontinued) Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0. I find the spacing of the (large) buttons to my liking, and its size allows my hand to rest comfortably for long periods.

I just did a look at the going price for them and it seems that they're going for $80+ (some sellers are asking over $350!).

Jyri

While we are discussing it: how is game play with a wireless mouse? I tried one maybe 5 or 6 years ago and it seemed to lag when playing.

I prefer cordless mice. I don't think that mouse latence is any kind of issue unless you're playing professional Counter-Strike or something - I haven't seen any kind of noticeable mouse lag myself, and my mice haven't been top of the tier or anything. Wires just drive me nuts, I don't know why but they almost always get entangled with the keyboard or something else when I use them!

If I had a £1 for the number of times my mother phones me up panicking that she can't move her wireless mouse on screen I'd be a rich (well, richer) man than I am now.

And every time I have the same reply - "have you checked the battery?" and my mother always answers: "oh really? do you think it could be that?"

I use a wireless trackball: Cordless Optical Trackman.

It's great. I switched to trackballs from mice years ago and never regretted it. (Though it'd be nice if they were cheaper and readily available in local stores.) IMO while common thumb-operated trackballs offer worse cursor control than mice, index finger designs give better control.

I don't use any buttons on the trackball other than the basic ones with CM, so that may be a sign of the device being well suited to the game. (Lets see... there are 6 buttons I don't use that could be assigned some function.)

Ergonomically, finger problems seem unlikely with my current trackball - there's never any strain on them. The wrist sometimes, but not the fingers. I don't remember any problems with the model I used previously either (Kensington Expert Mouse - a rather different design), but I may have just forgotten.

Hmm, I use my middle finger for the mouse wheel. Shouldn't your index be on the left mouse button?

Dunno. Maybe so, but I've always used my index finger for both the left-click button and the mouse wheel. Maybe that's part of why I'm having this problem.

I use a wireless trackball: Cordless Optical Trackman.

It's great. I switched to trackballs from mice years ago and never regretted it. (Though it'd be nice if they were cheaper and readily available in local stores.) IMO while common thumb-operated trackballs offer worse cursor control than mice, index finger designs give better control.

I don't use any buttons on the trackball other than the basic ones with CM, so that may be a sign of the device being well suited to the game. (Lets see... there are 6 buttons I don't use that could be assigned some function.)

Ergonomically, finger problems seem unlikely with my current trackball - there's never any strain on them. The wrist sometimes, but not the fingers. I don't remember any problems with the model I used previously either (Kensington Expert Mouse - a rather different design), but I may have just forgotten.

Thanks, that's some specific feedback I was looking for.

I had a Kensington trackball about ten years ago that I loved...until some crud got into the mechanism and it wouldn't track accurately any more. There was no way I could clean it without voiding the warranty. I was using wireless keyboard and mouse with my new eMac until the Bluetooth chip went out. Now I am back to using USB equipment again, which actually I like better in spite of the inconvenience of the wires. The mouse I am currently using is a V7 3 button (one is the scroll wheel) optical mouse, an el cheapo that I got from Amazon for $7 last fall and it seems to be holding up just fine. No complaints.

Michael

If it helps, I have a Wireless TRUST MI-7700R (laser) . It works pretty well and the batteries have more than half a year life expectancy (it takes seconds to change them). It replaces another wireless (optical, no laser) on which the internal battery had to be kept in charge everyday if I didn’t want it to let me down.

The only problem I have found with the TRUST mouse is that I have had frequents interference when I used it during my travels. I had to close it and open it again in order to have it function.

So I use an old Ione Lynx Q-22 (laser) during my travels to avoid that problem. No wireless no batteries and no wireless dongle, that could be lost !

These have a scroll wheel and very good DPI changeable setting and I use an optical - laser mat which doesn’t slide away when I move rapidly the mouse

I´ve used a Logitech trackball like this one (http://www.logitech.com/en-hk/mice-pointers/trackballs/devices/156) for about 13 years. And I have had no wrist, shoulder or elbow problems since abandoning the traditional mouse.

However, I have recently (since may 2011?) begun to expericence some pains in the thumb (used for left clicking). Maybe that is because I use the same track ball at work and at home. But I´ll still highly recommend the track ball.