WEGO vs RT-Is it age related?

Arnoldio's description is precisely why I don't play R/T.

I've played CM for 12 years now (42 yrs old), and always felt (as others have in this thread) that:

A) Your role as a CM battlefield commander, is to issue (ultimately imperfect) orders to your troops via the control system. The AI (also not perfect, but Steve et al. works on it incessantly) acts as an interpreter for all the events that occur in that 60 second time frame. I am the 'general', and ordering my Tiger tank up that path was a bad decision...

B) The replay value - all those little & big dramas that I would have missed in R/T - is a large part of the battle/game experience for me.

C) Waiting for my older brothers' WEGO PBEM drives me nuts! (The same guy who intro'ed me to ASL as a kid). Patience, young Jedi, patience...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to play RT succesfuly, you have to pause every 2 seconds.

I completely disagree with that statement ;) It's certainly like that when you start playing in RT. The control freak in you wants to stop the game and see what's going on. But after a while, the delays between pauses grow, and grow, and grow to the point where you rarely pause at all. Playing RT requires a bit of practice to get comforable with, just as WEGO did for me when I started playing CMBO when it was released.

For the record I pause the game when...

Reinforcements arrive and I need to issue them orders,

Performing the call-in routine for artillery or airstrikes,

I have completed Phase A of my plan and I am thinking about Phase B,

And, of course, when it all goes utterly pear-shaped. :)

Other than that, I'm completing a 1 hour mission in about 1 hour 10 minutes after pressing START.

Other than that, I'm completing a 1 hour mission in about 1 hour 10 minutes after pressing START.

Yes, completing a game quickly is definitely a benefit of RT and for small battles CO(-) I do enjoy it but the thing is for a new player that is not familiar with the system I would definitely suggest WEGO to start with.

To play RT effectively you have to be able to let go of that urge to micromanage your troops. To do this you need to have some confidence in how to give orders and expecting what your troops are going to do when they execute those orders. This means you have to have a feel for what the tac AI is going to do in any given situation.

For a new player this can be frustrating because often your expectation doesn't match what actually happens. WEGO for the new player allows you to slow down and learn what your troops will do under certain situations.

Once you develop a comfort level for the game and if your willing to forgo the absolute enjoyment of replay, then RT is a great way to play CMBN.

Wego all the way for me. Each turn is a game in itself, where you form and then test your hypothesis of the situation. If I wanted to play real time, there's plenty of other games that have simplified the battlefield enough for better tactical awareness, either by working on a smaller scale, with more predictable ai, or by simplifying unit types. Playing combat mission real time I feel I miss it's subtleties.

I think having both options is wonderful but IMHO the different play styles are hard to compare as they depend on the person and the scenario. In the future I would hope BFC would consider consolidating into one single play style--RT with anytime pause for orders with a 30-60sec replay option.

I play in WEGO warrior mode. I have been using this mode since 2000 and CMX1. I do not consider this an age related issue. I tried playing a couple CMSF missions in real time and just could not keep track of all that was going on. I just like the way WEGO allows me to take more time to plan every move. For example I am currently play the Collosal Crack[mega units]battle. There are sooo many units in this battle that I have spent up to an hour planing 1 turn and reviewing the previous turn,and having and absolute Blast I must add! I have been playing this battle for over 10 days now just playing 3-7 turns per day.

Hi,

From Moon...

“When playing RT next time, simply slow down a little. Allow your guys to rest and do nothing occasionally for a few minutes. “

Agreed... I play H2H RT, which a year ago I would not have thought within my grasp to enjoy. I and my opponent started with very small games with very long game length. Reinforced platoon v reduced platoon over a two hour game. Now up to two companies v one company over a two and a half hour game.

As Moon made clear, if you slowdown and set the game length to something along the lines such a task may have taken in the real world, with all the time to rest and re-organise between surges of action within a two hour plus assault on a village, you will be fine. You will surprise yourselves.

And H2H, live is certainly a gripping way to play. Time just disappears.

Solo, with one of these huge, magnificent scenarios that shipped with the CW module, I still play WEGO... but not human v human.

Lucky to have CM :),

All the best,

Kip.

PS am 54.

Would it be possible in a future edition to grant each player a 'bank' of pausable time, say ten minutes in a 60 minute battle? The bank functions like a chess clock; once you've drained your 10 minutes of pauses, that's it. Or five minutes. The size of the bank can be pre-configured before the game according to the desires of the players in selectable increments.