RPS Commonwealth info

Just seen this over at Rock paper Shotgun.

“There will be 2 campaigns in this module, one played from the Allied side and one from the German. They are both semi-historical, in the sense that they are close to real events and use real formations found in the area at the time. However some liberties were taken to make them more interesting and varied.

The British campaign – ‘The Scottish Corridor’ (working title) – will focus on the actions of the 9th Cameronians and the 2nd Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (ASH) during Operation Epsom. It will feature around 15 missions, depending on results.

One of the ideas behind this campaign was to include as much of the Commonwealth kit as possible so that the player could fight hugely diverse missions and get a taste of everything the module contains. With this in mind, the Cameronian outings are more combined arms and feature the heavies, Churchills and Sherman Fireflies, while the ASH missions are much lighter, infantry-centric affairs involving lighter AFVs like armoured cars and Bren Gun carriers.

The German campaign will feature the 2nd Panzer Division in the Falaise Pocket, and is semi-historical. The Falaise Pocket was chosen because it provides some unique opportunities for an exciting campaign with mixed German unit types. The player begins with a company-sized Kampfgruppe for his core force. This Kampfgruppe has a little bit of everything within it; it’s a self-contained and self-sufficient battle unit cobbled together from shattered remains of battalions within the regiment. As the player progresses, he gets the opportunity to add unique forces – a section of engineers, a Lynx, a pair of King Tigers etc.

Opposition will be diverse. The player can expect to encounter the US 90th Infantry Division, and Canadian and Polish forces. Battles will have a focus on mobility. Even defensive scenarios will require deft movement – a fighting withdrawal under crushing attack, defending a sector with too few troops, and the like.

In addition to the campaigns there will also be more than 20 stand alone missions using all the forces in the module in many different situations. We also p[the remaining text was obscured by blood]”

This is fantastic news if accurate. I was hoping for much more variation in the campaigns and it sounds like they have listened to user feedback.

....As the player progresses, he gets the opportunity to add unique forces – a section of engineers, a Lynx, a pair of King Tigers etc.

I'm not entirely sure how this will work - Do you get a chance to 'add' specific units? This isn't TOW ;)

Sounds great, especially the German campaign. When it comes to choosing those units, I wonder if it will be within the context of a mission, or along the "Choose your own adventure" lines of the Devil's Descent campaign.

Or..dare I say it? Will we now be able to make these sorts of choices in the menu?

LOL there's that "mkIII" again...I typed it right this time.

This is gonna be great. I think This Commonwealth Module is gonna be a lot like what the Brit module was to CMSF, with all it's weird and beautiful vehicles. I can't wait!

Mord.

If that is a Mk III, I would hate to see the Mk I.

As for Campaigns, I would have thought they would have tried Operation Totalize as it includes, Canadians, Brits and Poles. It was exciting, bold and included some very wacky situations.

There is a good book I just read for my Military Book Club

No Holding Back: Operation Totalize, Normandy, August 1944, Brian Reid

I would be very surprised if someone did not try to create this operation as a campaign. Too bad I suck at scenario making or I would give it a try.

If that is a Mk III, I would hate to see the Mk I.

As for Campaigns, I would have thought they would have tried Operation Totalize as it includes, Canadians, Brits and Poles. It was exciting, bold and included some very wacky situations.

I agree with you,

there was such major op. on 21st army group.

I was expecting a bit more campaings than 1 on allied side.

I wouldn't say i'm dissapointed, but with the 3-4 campaing of 1st opus I was expecting a hold the beach campaing 2 sides, push trough caen and a push trough falaise for 21st army group somehow.

I agree with you,

I wouldn't say i'm dissapointed, but with the 3-4 campaing of 1st opus I was expecting a hold the beach campaing 2 sides, push trough caen and a push trough falaise for 21st army group somehow.

It would spread the content really thin to try and cover every single major engagement of the Normandy campaign. I'm not even really sure why we should try anyways. Better to pick a few areas and do them in depth, IMO.

Better to pick a few areas and do them in depth, IMO.

IMO too :D, I totally agree with you that you need some detailed stuff and not having a bunch of campaing that got no sense. But it's probly my bias, beeing from canada :D. I"m really looking forward to see a June 7-June 9 12ss counter attack on the 3rd canadian infantry div. and Canadians attacking back after. That sounded to me like a killer 2 side Campaing.

On the other hand, I would have love to see A polish unit advance trhough totalized from 1st cdn. div.

And finaly, a 43 Essex through epsom, up to hill 112.

I`m really looking at this module as the holy grail of rts to me, so I got high expection, but i get no doubt that it will be good. Just campaing wise when I heard that it was only epsom, i tought it would be 1 cam file with a few maps and that's it. It would add like 2 more campaing to the campaing list. But if it's a few cam file, just on Epsom I'm up to to the challenge as well!

I also, understand that the price of the module is going to be half the one of the game, so I shouldn't expect as much stuff in it?

Also, if anyone is interested to make some 21st army group maps, especially the canadians, Over the last few years, i managed to gather a good collection of pictures and topo maps of the area, as i try to map for another game. Just PM me and I could probly help you out.

I agree with you,

He he. :D I am crafting the Commonweath campaign and it was originally my plan to have a second 5 or 6-mission campaign that followed the Canadian North Shore Regiment from the landings through to Carpiquet. The maps are all done but there's no way in hell I could finish the Brit campaign in good time and do that. Unless the module is delayed for a while and nobody wants that! The 'Road to Carpiquet' campaign will be uploaded to the Repository some time after the module is released.

And finaly, a 43 Essex through epsom, up to hill 112.

You mean Wessex :) But yeah, just been reading "The fighting Wessex Wyverns - From Normandy to Bremerhaven with the 43rd Wessed Division" and the fighting around Hill 112 is terrifying. I always knew the battles around hill 112 was bad, but when I read the first hands accounts of the soldiers from 43rd Wessex I was appalled over the casualtys and the hard going. :eek:

He he. :D I am crafting the Commonweath campaign and it was originally my plan to have a second 5 or 6-mission campaign that followed the Canadian North Shore Regiment from the landings through to Carpiquet. The maps are all done but there's no way in hell I could finish the Brit campaign in good time and do that. Unless the module is delayed for a while and nobody wants that! The 'Road to Carpiquet' campaign will be uploaded to the Repository some time after the module is released.

Good man, look forward to it!

Sooo ummm,Mr Tiger what sort of time frame you looking at to get that done in.

You know just wondering