Armor far too accurate...

At least it seems to me. I keep noticing tanks and AT guns for that matter getting dead on one shot one kills over and over and over (often on the move!), even at fairly large distances. I swear it feels like exactly the same as tanks in CMSF. Anyone else noticing this? BFC care to comment?

Anyways... I'm not an expert on tank accuracy/gunsights/etc. but I can definitely tell that CMx1 tanks were much less accurate. The results I'm getting now with "regular" or "veteran" tanks are similar to the results I would get with an "Elite" tank in CMBB for example.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

something is off. CMSF RED tanks where less accurate then the WW2 tanks, to compare the game to CMSF, and they had laser rangefinder and stabilizer mostly. played Closing the Pocked twice today, i cant remember a single miss from the top of my head right now, it feels like all tanks got abrams fire control but realistic armor and armament :P

Doesn't feel like it to me; I've had alot of first hits that bounce off. In general, it might be related to how the units are set up in the scenario design.

LOL, last night in Closing the Pocket, I had a Marder and a Panther on the left flank in good hull-down positions, doing shoot and scoot against an M10 at around 750-800 yards (at least I think it was an M10--I play RT Iron and don' t really know what I was facing, except it was armor and shot back!), and during the course of the duel, the Panther took 5 hits of its turret and glascis and it and the Marder fired about 8 rounds apiece before they nailed it. Good thing the M10 wasn't shooting at the marder!

Most misses I've had in the "Closing the Pocket" scenario (at last 5 plays and another one against a Human) were 3 misses from three marders against an M10 that was hull down. Each missed it's first shot (they all were a tiny bit too low and would have hit the tank's perfect centre, if the hill wouldn't have caught the shot ;))

All other shots I've seen now were 1 shot 1 hit.

I won't judge the game yet as it's only one scenario with one set of the same units that usually go to the same positions. We'll see more as soon as the full game is released. :)

After just one go on Closing the Gap played from the US side, I agree. Those Panthers were tearing me up with a quickness. They seemed too good. I'll keep playing and see if things settle down.

I had a Sherman on Fast scooting up the road and the millisecond he broke cover, that Panther was rotating almost 90 degrees to ping him in the side. I lucked out with a bounce off the turret, but I didn't think he could spot me so quick.

Loving the Demo, no technical issues with my nvidia card.

In "Closing the Pocket" i had some an M-10 hiding behind a wood firing at a Panther. The Panther returned fire and the shells exploded in the trees :-)

On the other hand i got quite some near misses and shots bouncing off. also the hit distriubition hull/turret seems ok to me.

I've had some where it took 2 or 3 shots for them to bracket something in but then they'd be pretty steady on target or on anything else in the near area. Not sure if once dialed in they make adjustment to other targets from there or what but I haven't seen to many 1 shot 1 kills so far. I've only seen a Panther shot once while on the move and it missed high before losing sight of the target. Only played Closing the Pocket once though so far and Sermans do blow up something fierce like.Tell ya what, I'm not looking forward to playing as the US and going against those Panthers :)

Tell ya what, I'm not looking forward to playing as the US and going against those Panthers :)

I played as US on this mission last night ... and yes! ... it is hell trying to take out the Panthers. I got creamed by trying to slug it out with them on the ridge at long range. ... With my remaining Shermans and later the M10s I raced down the hill and hid them in the dry stream-bed at the bottom of the valley. (3 still got knocked out on the rush down though!!!)

.... then it's just a matter of trying to score hits on the side of the Panthers at <400m range. ... but yeah ... they really make you sweat!!!!! It feels great to KO one though!!!!!!!!

Tell ya what, I'm not looking forward to playing as the US and going against those Panthers :)

I killed one with a 75mm and one with a 76mm Sherman. Usual stuff (coming from CMx1): flanking shot and some nice shoot-and-scoot. Although in my experience a Veteran Sherman needs at least 10 seconds in firing position to get the first shot out in a shoot-n-scoot which is pretty long against an experienced Panther. More than 15 seconds is deadly.

I've only messed around with the tutorial so far, but my initial reaction to my Shermans was that they kept missing their targets... eventually they connected, and they were shooting at infantry, but I really didn't think they were too accurate.

I have been playing this demo and also "the other new East Front demo" that shall remain nameless. My sense is that the Axis armour in CMBN is much deadlier than the armour modeled in the other game, which also features wooded terrain.

The question is, which game has it closest to reality and can we take a lesson from it? (I like both games, by the way).

Well, I was horrified ( but quite pleased with the game ) when 1 of my precious 2 Panthers Bogged then immediately Immoblised whilst moving Fast along the road in the rear of the German positions in Closing the Pocket, effectively removing it from the battle. :(

Since it was on the road, I assume some sort of random mechanical breakdown is coded. Which is pretty realistic I imagine.

The other Panther has scored 3 kills so far and the other Shermans are keeping out of its way. This could get very cat ( ha ha ) and mouse.

About bogging, check weather conditions in your scenarios. If its wet and muddy a country road might be the worst place you want to drive. I hear if you start out wet on a sunny day the ground will become progressively more dry, and if you start dry during a rainstorm roads become progressively more difficult. I'm not observant enough to note such subtlties, though. :)

A saw I rattled panther that the TAC AI had taken control of to reverse out of trouble KO an M10 at 750-850m (can't remember the exact range). I was playing in realtime so I didn't see what happened first.

I heard the richochet sound panned the camera and then saw the shot on the move. I smiled at first then frowned because it looks like a wasted my "lucky" shot in the demo and probably going to need that in PBEMs in the coming days.

I played as US on this mission last night ... and yes! ... it is hell trying to take out the Panthers. I got creamed by trying to slug it out with them on the ridge at long range. ... With my remaining Shermans and later the M10s I raced down the hill and hid them in the dry stream-bed at the bottom of the valley. (3 still got knocked out on the rush down though!!!)

.... then it's just a matter of trying to score hits on the side of the Panthers at <400m range. ... but yeah ... they really make you sweat!!!!! It feels great to KO one though!!!!!!!!

Feels even better if it's two player.

At least it seems to me. I keep noticing tanks and AT guns for that matter getting dead on one shot one kills over and over and over (often on the move!), even at fairly large distances. I swear it feels like exactly the same as tanks in CMSF. Anyone else noticing this? BFC care to comment?

Anyways... I'm not an expert on tank accuracy/gunsights/etc. but I can definitely tell that CMx1 tanks were much less accurate. The results I'm getting now with "regular" or "veteran" tanks are similar to the results I would get with an "Elite" tank in CMBB for example.

Perhaps this is worth repeating....

What do others feel?