So is it safe to assume the Brits Module won't take 13 months?

I'm going by the time between the initial release and the release of the Marines. Much of that time was spent fixing the core engine though. Should we assume the Brits won't take as long, or will they be busy on the WWII game and we won't see the British until at least Oct '09. Maybe no one know yet.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My impression back from when the CMx2 initial discussions were started was that it would be pretty regular.

You bring up a good point though about the WWII thing because given the extensive amount of changes required for that I wonder if they have separate teams working on modules vs. larger releases somehow.

I have no idea if it's just steve and a select few others any longer like the old days.

If I remember correctly, one of the reasons given for going with the new CMx2 engine was a much quicker turnaround time between games. I'm pretty sure Battlefront said it would only be about 1 year between games instead of the 2 or 3 years between CMx1 games.

I also think they said it was a goal to get out 2 or 3 modules per year, I may be mistaken though.

CMBO -- released June 1, 2000

CMBB -- released October 29, 2002

CMAK -- released December 3, 2003

I'm not sure how much faster modules are getting cranked out under the new system (given how many more people are actually working on the game) compared to the old days. I would guess that they need to crank out modules faster than once every nine months to meet their goals.

How long can the graphics be considered current before it must be revamped to keep up with competing graphics engines? If they take too long per module then the expiration date will hit for the graphics and people will think CMSF looks as cartoonish as they consider CMx1 now.

Ok then ... Marines isn't out yet so by the most optimistic timetable the Brits won't be out until Feb/Mar (ish). Believe you me I'm biting my arm off for this module myself but I'm sure the Marines module will keep me occupied for that amount of time.

I guess also it depends on what they're planning to include in the Brits module - obviously the more they put in the longer it'll take I guess. What would your pick list be? Mine would be in order of merit:

Challenger 2

Warrior

Bulldog

CVR(T) Scimitar

Jackal

Viking

WMIK

CVR(T) Spartan

Plus some Syrian (or likely Syrian) kit:

T-80

BMD

BTR-50

Well let's assume that the "Iraq Timetable" of Dec. 11 is even remotely accurate...would that step down in US policy have any bearing on the possibility of getting Iraqi "forces" or expanded UNCOM roster snuck in with the brits?

I think some more UNCOM tricks and weapons might be interesting as well as expanding the editor options so that creating scenarios in Afghanistan or Iraq might be easier given the UK's involvement in both but particularly in Afghanistan.

I'm going by the time between the initial release and the release of the Marines. Much of that time was spent fixing the core engine though. Should we assume the Brits won't take as long, or will they be busy on the WWII game and we won't see the British until at least Oct '09. Maybe no one know yet.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

I'm pretty sure most of this time was spent patching the base game, up until 1.07/8 it seemed like the focus was on getting the base game right. Even the marines module seems like it includes a lot of patching to the base game.

Whether future modules include so much coding or are just units and TO&E and a campaign is anyones guess. But based on what BFC have stated in the distant past about the philosophy behind their new module based approach, modules are supposed to be released on a timeframe of 6 months or so, and potentially can use 3rd party resources to reduce timescales.

You'd put a Viking above a Spartan? The Viking, while having a high coolness factor, is only used by the Royal Marines, while the Spartan is a utility vehicle for Formation Recce, Armoured, Armoured Infantry and Mechanised Infantry.

I'd quite like to see a Pinzgauer weapons carrier as well.

The Viking is now in use with the British Army as well as the Royal Marines

You should see a much quicker turnaround for the British Module (and other future modules already in planning stages), not only because a lot of time spent on the Marines module really went into the v1.10 patch, but also because we have a second team on board specifically for the upcoming Modules, while the majority of the core team moves on to the first WW2 base game.

You should see a much quicker turnaround for the British Module (and other future modules already in planning stages), not only because a lot of time spent on the Marines module really went into the v1.10 patch, but also because we have a second team on board specifically for the upcoming Modules, while the majority of the core team moves on to the first WW2 base game.

and the third team on Mac Os version :rolleyes:

Music to my ears!

One thing though - will the module feature regular AND elite units, e.g. Paras and Royal Marines?

On the subject of the Royal Marines, here they are in Helmand, Afghanistan:

http://www.eliteukforces.info/video/royal-marines-8.php

Pretty good footage.

Will the engine continue to be improved with patches? Will the engine be worked on by just the module team or the WW2 team also? Will fixes made to the engine by the ww2 team be added to CMSF?

Other than fixes can we expect more improvements to CM:SF in future patches and modules - such as hit decals/visible damage to vehicles, improved effects (in particular tank cook-up), AI etc.

Much as I probably wouldn't say it to a member of one of those units, The Royal Marines and the Paras aren't really special. They are both basically infantry battalions with slightly different establishment to other regiments. Other than a different organisation, quality levels are defined in the editor.

The equipment of the Paras and Royal Marines doesn't vary much, if at all, from what might be called "Line" battalions, so including them would just be a matter of the appropriate establishment. (aside from the Viking)

They MAY be special...if BF.C allows them to use LINEAR AIR SUPPORT ATTACK AXES (http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=83192), or to HOLD their Special equipment (http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=83224), or if they don't magically have their SQUAD LMG CHANGE INTO A RIFLE (http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=83271), or if BF.C allows them to NOTIFY THE PLAYER OF INCOMING FIRE OR CASUALTIES (http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=83193).

Now, if BF.C includes the above changes into the Royal Marines or Paras, then they would be special. Or just more realistic?

Thanks,

Ken

ricky77, got a source for that?

I know that in Afghanistan the British Army are making use of the Viking, but with the original Royal Marine Crews, but I'm not aware of any Army Vikings.

http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/fighting-vehicles/1486.aspx

They have had army crews as well, the Queen's Royal Lancers is one unit I believe is using them at the moment and The Royal Artillery are getting about 20 odd for uav work

I did not take the notice from Moon that work on the Marines was slowed by 1.10 to mean that it was the last patch for CMSF & the CMx2 series. I took it to mean that it was a significant upgrade that both rectified existing issues while adding components to support the introduction of Marines.

I hardly get the impression that Battlefront isn't listening to the folks on this board...Heck isn't everyone here a Beta Tester? lol!

That's great news. I was begining to think the module after that (i.e. the tentative German/Dutch/Canadians) was just a mirage but it sounds like it just might really come about now.