Jump to content
Aquilas-ESP

Steam players for multiplayer

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, ZackTactical34 said:

For casual games, I'm fine with the auto-updates. For sims or games that have mod support, I prefer manually updating. Take Arma for example. If they were to release an update that broke a bunch of mods, you would be somewhat limited with what you can do. Instead, if the developers give you the option to choose which update you want, then you would never have to be concerned about any game breaking changes. 

Arma version control is a nightmare -- especially for compats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 11:06 PM, Raptorx7 said:

They're have been countless success stories of indie games succeeding spectacularly on Steam so I would do some research.

Like... Bad Rats... xD

I'm a heavy Steam user. But damn... most of the indie games on there are shovelware.

Edited by DerKommissar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:06 PM, Raptorx7 said:

They're have been countless success stories of indie games succeeding spectacularly on Steam so I would do some research.

Countless succeeding spectacularly?  LOL okay that needs some qualifications as to how you quantify that as I don’t believe there are countless computer games succeeding spectacularly across the entire industry.  I have a steam acccount and like @DerKommissar most of what gets advertised is similar to me emptying my cat’s litter box. 

Edited by sburke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dead Cells, Terraria, Undertale, Unturned, Stardew Valley, Stanley Parable, Player Unknowns Battle Grounds (Which is pretty crap but successful nonetheless), Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight, Insurgency, Guns of Icarus (Pretty old now with a dwindling playerbase but it was great back in the day), Don't Starve, FTL: Faster then light, Door Kickers, Cold Waters, Atlantic Fleet, Mount and Blade Series.

All of those games are just from my Steam, and I do think countless is a good word for what I was talking about. All of these games were extremely popular due to the exposure/availability they have on Steam, if you asked them what the primary cause of there success was it would probably be that there game was fun to play in the first place and Steam allowed them to promote/sell it. Especially games like Cold Waters which is a niche submarine combat game benefited from the exposure it got on Steam, people who have never played sub games gave it a shot and liked it and it was financially beneficial to the guys who made it. You can tell because they released free updated for a year and an entire new campaign in the South China Sea with new units and the like.

I'm well aware there's plenty of crap on Steam and they do a god awful job of managing all of it but the fact of the matter is that Steam helps way more then it hurts in a lot of cases. The phobia of Steam on this website is frankly hilarious and the world zips on by as all of you laugh into the wind at a service that millions of people benefit from and enjoy.

We're way off topic now, I hope the OP actually got what he wanted from this thread even after it was derailed right off the bat by a useless, toxic comment.

Edited by Raptorx7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Aquilas-ESP said:

There are 18 JoMac in Steam, if you can pass your link I can add you without problem. I sent the invitation to one who says that he lives in Virginia like you, he has a Sherman of the Men of War as a profile picture.

Yeap, that's me, and got your 'Friend Request', and already responded back...Talk Later :-)

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like a lot of things about Steam: sales, no taxes, and a lot of convenience features (mods, multiplayer, updates). It's a good platform. It's got a lot of problems and a lot of complaints at it are legitimate, not toxic phobia. It does have a quality control problem (endless RPG maker games, minecraft clones, etc). Valve can be sketchy at times (cough, paid mods). Actual cons that purposefully sell demos.

Back on topic: is there a Steam group? That'd be convenient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

I like a lot of things about Steam: sales, no taxes, and a lot of convenience features (mods, multiplayer, updates). It's a good platform. It's got a lot of problems and a lot of complaints at it are legitimate, not toxic phobia. It does have a quality control problem (endless RPG maker games, minecraft clones, etc). Valve can be sketchy at times (cough, paid mods). Actual cons that purposefully sell demos.

Back on topic: is there a Steam group? That'd be convenient.

I have a Steam group and Discord trying other games, but we can use it to support this so well. Steam group. Discord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 9:42 PM, MikeyD said:

Steam is a 'parasite' business. It gets between the producer and customer sucks all the profits from the middle.

That is EVERY major retailer. I have dealt with large companies with Spencer's Gifts being probably the biggest. True, one will make less profit with a heavy hitter with a lot of leverage over dealing with a Mom and Pop shop , BUT you will make it 1000 fold in volume big time which will allow one to develop their product, and the exposure will develop ones brand. Example of volume difference - "I'll take dozen" vs "I'll take 3,000, but i'll pay  #" so I had no problem dealing with them making less profit per unit. It is just another line in the water, and a link is allowed on the store page on Steam to lead someone to buy it direct instead if someone wants. My 2 cents on the whole matter as a business man. Put as many lines in the water as possible and suck it up to catch as many fish both big and small as they all add up. In the end as long I got my CM i'll sleep good at night whether BF ever Steams or not. However, I do think they would make more money in the long run if they did though. Perhaps even enough to develop CM for 6v6 real time multiplayer :)

Now to the original reason for the thread.

In order to play REAL TIME multiplayer games one needs a message program to get it going unlike WEGO which email is surface. Battlefront does not have this here nor any support really for playing the game in real time, However Steam does. Hence the logic for the thread.

I'll add you Aquilas and perhaps we will get a game sometime. I prefer my CM WEGO in it's present state, but dabble in real time to break it up sometimes and for the different experience. I really only like playing real time with a platoon or two of infantry only . Anything more is just too much to mange in a game like CM compared to other RTS.

Edited by Vinnart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steam made direct download mainstream.  And companies wanted to do direct download without the overhead or owning an online store.  I do business with Walmart and Target.  For a small "independent" game company, they are much more predatory than Steam.  And you have to go through a couple other distribution companies to get to the shelf.

Just look at what it took for BFC to just update their store.  It seemed like they were working on it for years.  Is building and managing your own store and DRM more profitable than using steam?  A lot of game companies think so, but some, like BFC, don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding of Steve's posts is that the current website is a customised instance of a generic template provided by the same company that provides them with payment and fulfilment services. At several levels, it is pretty much the same that having a page about your game on Steam's site. 

What they "miss out" is the visibility and discovery services provided by the main Steam site. And also Steamworks, which provides many services that simplify enormously some "logistical" aspects which can be quite hard to solve (like matchmaking) as well as more or less intrusive mechanisms to figure out what do players actually do in your games (from passive stuff like achievement stats to more active, greyish allegedly anonymised user data collection).

Edited by BletchleyGeek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 8:54 AM, Raptorx7 said:

Dead Cells, Terraria, Undertale, Unturned, Stardew Valley, Stanley Parable, Player Unknowns Battle Grounds (Which is pretty crap but successful nonetheless), Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight, Insurgency, Guns of Icarus (Pretty old now with a dwindling playerbase but it was great back in the day), Don't Starve, FTL: Faster then light, Door Kickers, Cold Waters, Atlantic Fleet, Mount and Blade Series.

You can add Red Orchestra (only played the Ostfront one) to that list as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see us spiralling around yet again with same arguments as previous times. You guys can keep doing that if you like but Steve has said his piece and that he is open to changing his mind if conditions change. Hopefully posting his summary will quiet this down and we can get back to talking about the game:

Note the link is supposed to be to the last post on the thread - I found that my browser when to the wrong place about half the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IanL said:

I can see us spiralling around yet again with same arguments as previous times. You guys can keep doing that if you like but Steve has said his piece and that he is open to changing his mind if conditions change. Hopefully posting his summary will quiet this down and we can get back to talking about the game:

Note the link is supposed to be to the last post on the thread - I found that my browser when to the wrong place about half the time.

Bren gun tripod anybody? 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I'm secretly worried about is the passage of time. Steve and Charles are heading toward the end zone at some point (not a dig, we all pay the Reaper).

But then what will happen to "CM:BS 3 - March On Washington"?!? 

 

Edited by kinophile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kinophile said:

But, then what will happen to "CM:BS 3 - March On Washington"?!? 

 

Exactly, what will happen to "CM:BS 3 - March on Moscow"...I feel your pain bro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On September 21, 2018 at 5:09 PM, kinophile said:

What I'm secretly worried about is the passage of time. Steve and Charles are heading toward the end zone at some point (not a dig, we all pay the Reaper).

But then what will happen to "CM:BS 3 - March On Washington"?!? 

 

Perhaps a bunch of the software developers and business gurus on the BF forums will get together, buy Battlefront, develop games that always have bug-free content, and never miss a proposed date, and sell them on Steam! All while providing daily updates on their developers blog.

Edited by Vet 0369

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×