Canadian Defense - CMSF 2 BETA AAR #2 (Quick Battle)

5 hours ago, IanL said:

?? not me that's for sure :)

quebec-1944-the-allied-leaders-taking-ad

hLZnyeFxr35MfiPkK1xleShlRYVHRYMlf3ivoYKy

DJHlEgXXUAA7QJX.jpg

RtN99ZxB6HiPlLoxCjHldwsNcWSggYW41YyqNrlM

And the explanation from The National Post

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/sajjan-retracts-claim-he-was-architect-of-canadas-biggest-combat-operation-in-afghanistan

Are you sure you are Canadian @IanL? You didn't know Rush band members, never watched Trailer Park Boys, missed the Sajjan meme craze... do you even know what Tim Hortons is????

6 minutes ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

Are you sure you are Canadian @IanL? You didn't know Rush band members, never watched Trailer Park Boys, missed the Sajjan meme craze... do you even know what Tim Hortons is????

LOL yeah looks bad. I ignore memes and unfollow people that share to many, I was never a big fan of Rush and I absolutely dislike trailer park boys. But I am a card carrying Tim Hortons coffee drinker. 

Hopefully that will be enough for you guys :)

Those memes were pretty funny BTW I will refrain from unfollowing you :D

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:46 PM, IanL said:

Initial situation

This AAR is being played using the Quick Battle system from the v4 engine in the new version of Shock Force. We are playing a Red probe with Bil taking the Syrians vs Canadians commanded by myself. The back story we decided on is that the NATO advance is proceeding well and the Canadian battle group has been assigned to flank protection for the main advance. D Company has been directed to take up positions around a village on the main East West road in the area.

Taking the walk through the village to meet with the local elders was something that Capt. Leslie actually enjoyed. The security situation for these types of meetings was much better here than in Afghanistan where, as a platoon commander, often had to provide security for the CO in one of these meetings. Over there it was always a nerve racking time. Here, today, his men had taken up their positions already and there was no love for the Assad regime around here. There was no love for the Assads anywhere actually – even in the enclave where his family drew the most support it was based on fear not love. So his walk today was pretty safe. Walking through the village reminded him of the last time he was in Syria. When he was just a boy visiting his father who was stationed on the Golan Heights as a UN Observer. Back then this trip to Syria was an exciting event. He got to fly on Hercules from Germany to Damascus where his Dad’s apartment was. The trip had made an impression. Not just the Roman ruins and the amazing castle Krak des Chevaliers (and having lived in the UK a few years earlier he knew castles) but it was really the people that impressed him the most. They were so friendly and open. It was this trip and listening to his father tell the stories of visiting with security guards on his way home each night that cemented in him the certain knowledge that you can go anywhere in the world and the regular people you meet are more like you then they are different.

This meeting was just a formality but an important one. They would not be here for long and the Canadians had no mandate to provide any kind of assistance this was just to introduce the force that would be on their door steps for a while and point out that most likely nothing eventful would happen today, tomorrow or the next day. Capt. Leslie had put off this meeting for a hour because he had to spend time on the radio sorting out their artillery support. They were not expecting any action and so had only been assigned only a battery of light artillery and some Battalion mortars but he wanted to make sure they were ready with solutions plotted just to be sure. For some reason there had been a delay. Usually the artillery guys were ready before his FO was but today somehow the assignments had been confused and no battery thought they were supposed to be on call for D Co.. He had the reputation not as a rising star but a solid cross the t’s dot the i’s find a solution get it done officer. And he had done so again. Other officers liked him because he did his homework and was fair even when he was pushing for something. He didn’t make a big production but he didn’t back down either. He remembered his Dad used to say “not everyone can be a rising star, those stars need good officers to get their jobs done”. His Dad’s other advice when he joined up as a junior officer was “always listen to your Sergeants and Warrant Officers, they are the ones that have the experience know how to help you find solutions and keep you from screwing up”. He had taken the advice to heart.

Great Scot! Was he about to pick some bleedin' flowers on his little walkabout for his mommy!?!?!? Where's the blood? The sweat? The hot hydraulics, the stench of which was almost overcoming the men as the pistons rammed the long gleaming rounds into the open chamber? Friggin' 'ell, mate. "As a child, he'd always wished his mum hadn't cut the crust off his sandwiches, but, despite the schoolyard teasing, he never could bring himself to ask her to stop doing it." ???

;) 

In a serious vein, I like the atmosphere. Great job on the pix and your descriptions.

Good luck on the upcoming fight.

44 minutes ago, c3k said:

Great Scot! Was he about to pick some bleedin' flowers on his little walkabout for his mommy!?!?!? Where's the blood? The sweat? The hot hydraulics, the stench of which was almost overcoming the men as the pistons rammed the long gleaming rounds into the open chamber?

LOL. I am fighting against Bil - its coming. Let the pour guy enjoy his tea before all hell breaks loose.

On a more serious not I got the setup turn back from Bil so I have setup work to do. And planning write up and company home for the weekend so you guys are going to have to be a bit patient - which is code for Ken, Splinty and Cpt Miller will entertain you guys by ribbing me. :D

15 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

I'm assuming you have tree foliage toggled off for this screenshot, but are we looking at a new type of tree in SF2? Looks taller than the trees in SF1. 

Sorry man now your comment looks strange. I went back and redid the screen shots with trees on and updated them on my gallery page. So, @IICptMillerII is not wrong or taking hallucinogens - I just fixed the pics on him.

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

A bit of a heads-up. I'm giving the Leopard 2s an eleventh hour reworkimg. I'll try to get it into the AAR players' hands.

NICE! Hopefully Ian can keep one alive long enough for us to see it!

Mord.

8 hours ago, IanL said:

So, @IICptMillerII is not wrong or taking hallucinogens

I'm sure many here would argue against both points 😄

No worries, looking forward to future updates! I'm a bit more interested in this battle as it is more conventional BluFor vs OpFor, force on force. On top of that, I'm looking forward to seeing the Canadian's in action, as I have not had a chance to use them much in SF1.

11 hours ago, kinophile said:

They're funny but can we keep politics out of this SF2 thread? 

Not identifing with any political spectrum, just rather not see the bad Habits from CMBS seeping over here... 

I'd much prefer to see Ian's dispositions! 

It was not my intent at all to start a political discussion but rather explain what I thought was a great joke. Sorry for derailing this thread. 

@IanL Does Bil have any advantages over you with terrain he controls at the start of the battle? In your analysis, you stated there is some high ground out of your setup areas. Is it close enough to allow you a chance to rush a small protection force there or do you have a different plan to prevent Bil from using it?

1 minute ago, Heirloom_Tomato said:

@IanL Does Bil have any advantages over you with terrain he controls at the start of the battle? In your analysis, you stated there is some high ground out of your setup areas. Is it close enough to allow you a chance to rush a small protection force there or do you have a different plan to prevent Bil from using it?

For the center and the south it could be viable to drive a force to those positions and have a plausible way to get back. For the one in the North it would be suicide. My main thought is to cover them from my high ground. The at lavs can reposition repeatedly in the village and threaten his high ground. So can the tanks or I can move to take my side of the central high ground as a surprise.

I just got the setup from Bil yesterday. I have my son visiting this weekend and a little more analysis to write up - including my plan. So i have time to mull it over.

I wonder what the Syrian Arty responsiveness is like? I assume like UKR in CMBS - c. 5 mins, with elite FO and Elite arty. 

For me, in CMBS as UKR, I often lay short preplanned linear 152mm barrages along hostile approach routes, at the given 5/10 min increments. Even if it's over before the bad guys approach up a given road, the catered surface can drastically slow them down and screw with targeting as they angle up/down while traversing the craters. Even an M1A2s vulnerable with its ass on the air as it digs in and out of a crater. 

Of course, In CMBS there's way more trees than in SF/2 but the effect would still work at choke points. 

If I was Bil I'd lay something down early, if I had the spare 152mm arty. I suppose, if he's just mortars then he'll probably keep for point strikes once he identifies your forces and resting pints. 

18 hours ago, IanL said:

LOL, I'll do my best.

You had better! Your reputation as an upstanding member of Club Canuck has already been marred by the Rush and Trailer Park Boys comments. Next thing we know you'll be talking about your disdain for back bacon and John Candy! And I'll tell you right now, I am personally offended you didn't name at least one of your objectives "Lightfoot"! In the immortal words of Bob and Doug, "Take off, eh!"

Mord McKenzie.

3 hours ago, Mord said:

.Next thing we know you'll be talking about your disdain for back bacon and John Candy!

Love John Candy and back bacon is awesome.

And I'll tell you right now, I am personally offended you didn't name at least one of your objectives "Lightfoot"!

I don't think that Gordon Lightfoot was a member of Rush :)

In the immortal words of Bob and Doug, "Take off, eh!"

Mord McKenzie.

Nice

Edited by IanL

8 minutes ago, IanL said:

Live John Candy

Actually, dead.

8 minutes ago, IanL said:

I don't think that Gordon Lightfoot was a member of Rush :)

He's a member of the Canadian race! And one of the finest troubadours to ever grace my ears.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

3 minutes ago, Mord said:

Actually, dead.

Oh man oops. He lives forever in our hearts. How's that. OP corrected.

3 minutes ago, Mord said:

He's a member of the Canadian race! And one of the finest troubadours to ever grace my ears.

Sure but the objectives are all named after Rush band and former band members.

1 minute ago, IanL said:

Sure but the objectives are all named after Rush band and former band members.

Well, since you put it that way, I guess I better keep my Anne Murray comment to myself.

Mord.