Canadian Defense - CMSF 2 BETA AAR #2 (Quick Battle)

5 hours ago, IanL said:

METT-T: Troops

As described in the earlier post this is a combined arms force created by paring back the Independent Battle Group from the force selection screen. The force is company sized, two platoons of infantry and one of tank troop plus some elements from the battle group support company, a section of Anti Armour, a batter of 81mm mortars and a sniper team.

Order of battle

D Company: Capt. Leslie

LAV Captain Team: Lt. Duncan (2IC)

FO Tea: Lt Finnegan

Also Attached to D Company from the battle group support Company:

Mortar Platoon HQ: Lt McKibbin (with four tubes of 81mm mortars)

Sniper Team: MCpl Morrison

One Section Anti Armour LAV: Lt. Golfrey

14 Platoon (Mech Infantry with no LAVs): Lt. Corhill

1 Section: Sgt Greentree

2 Section: Sgt Bellemere

3 Section: Sgt Augustine

4 Section (weapons): Sgt Calder

15 Platoon (Mech Infantry LAVs): Lt. Jackson

1 Section: Sgt Pension

2 Section: Sgt Forbes

3 Section: Sgt Wright

4 Section (weapons): Sgt Merritt

18 Troop (Four C2 Lepards): Lt Bermier

1 Tank: Sgt Aurthor

2 Tank: Sgt Laurin

3 Tank: Sgt Gagon

HQ and support elements

20180724102635-7671c734.jpg

14 Platoon

20180724102636-12ffeb49.jpg

15 Platoon

20180724102637-4aee3144.jpg

18 Troop

20180724102638-aad4a948.jpg

METT-T: Time

That battle is 2 hours long. I am sure we will end the battle before that due to casualties.

Great, thanks! :)

The main improvement to look forward to in CMSF2 is bringing the engine up to the other CM2 titles' version.   The mods that are available for CMSF1 can make that game look very similar to the improved graphics of CMSF2 (eg the vehicle shown above).  

1 hour ago, c3k said:

Did someone cut the crust off your sandwich for you?  ;)

Nobody is cutting any crusts of anything. :)

1 hour ago, c3k said:

It's time enough: your men are begging to be unleashed. They need to attack something, somewhere!

You know I'm defending right. Yes, that is a setup for you. :D

47 minutes ago, IanL said:

You know I'm defending right. Yes, that is a setup for you. :D

That's where you're wrong.  You know what they say - the best defence is a good offence!  Think about it - Bil is expecting you to sit there and take it.  Quick, decisive action is the key to victory! B)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTh_Ecv1e5BwaG9OXUX2x0

28 minutes ago, HerrTom said:

That's where you're wrong.  You know what they say - the best defence is a good offence!  Think about it - Bil is expecting you to sit there and take it.  Quick, decisive action is the key to victory! B)

Nice you beat Ken to the setup. All he is left with now is lame sandwich crust jokes ;)

While we wait for the actual shooting to start here are a few screen shots from the setup:

14 Platoon in position on Objective Lifeson

20180725072004-41d89121.jpg

15 Platoon positioned on Peart

20180725072004-81a5e315.jpg

Section of 15 Platoon and a section of 18 Troop move into over watch at KT3

20180725072005-0c874856.jpg

The view from the command post on Lee

20180725072006-d75bbdfd.jpg

Sniper team at the farm at Rutsey

20180725072002-275896ca.jpg

53 minutes ago, c3k said:

Movement into overwatch: I see crossed FAST move orders. Did you give one or the other of those two vehicles a delay?

I did to the tank. I could have cancelled move orders and moved the tank over and re did them (that would have been the correct thing to do). But they are all out of view anyway so I didn't bother.

Minute 2:00-1:59:

Capt. Leslie and his party were done with introductions and some practical discussion. They had just started on their second cup of chai and were planning to spend a few pleasant minutes on friendly chatting when the HQ sent for him and his 2IC – “Battalion command reports an enemy formation has been spotted approaching from the East”. They excused themselves from the chai and headed back to the command post to hear the details and alert the rest of the company. As they headed out the door Capt. Leslie noticed that one of the younger men who had not said anything during the meeting held back the translator, MCpl Haddad from 14 Platoon, briefly to whisper something to him.

“What was that about?” He asked.

MCpl Haddad smiled wryly as he replied “He said that if Assad’s men are coming he wishes us to kill as many as we can, so, there will be fewer for him to finish off - Inshallah”.

Capt. Leslie thought darkly to himself “Well that *is* the plan. My men do not need help from God to kill the enemy.”  It seems like this was going to be an eventful day after all.

The first turn of action was uneventful. No contacts were spotted. My team on KT3 moved up and the infantry deployed.

20180726042059-1321bd91.jpg

Minute 1:59: Orders

I corrected my mistake and moved a squad up to TK8. To avoid tiring the men out, I moved 3 section up to take 2 section’s positions and moved 2 section up to TK8.

20180726042047-d9862107.jpg

Nice screen shots. Something tells me though that the MG team on the roof isn't going to live too long if he stays there. Not much cover there on those low wall roofs from what I remember from CMSF. What is you intent with him Ian? Those roof types were death traps from recollection. The higher wall type weren't too bad though from what I recall.

Edited by Vinnart

5 hours ago, Vinnart said:

What is you intent with him Ian? Those roof types were death traps from recollection. The higher wall type weren't too bad though from what I recall.

Yes, I agree not a good permanent place. They are really far back from the non action so just there for a better view. I'll get them downstairs before anyone gets close.

12 hours ago, IanL said:

Minute 2:00-1:59:

Capt. Leslie and his party were done with introductions and some practical discussion. They had just started on their second cup of chai and were planning to spend a few pleasant minutes on friendly chatting when the HQ sent for him and his 2IC – “Battalion command reports an enemy formation has been spotted approaching from the East”. They excused themselves from the chai and headed back to the command post to hear the details and alert the rest of the company. As they headed out the door Capt. Leslie noticed that one of the younger men who had not said anything during the meeting held back the translator, MCpl Haddad from 14 Platoon, briefly to whisper something to him.

“What was that about?” He asked.

MCpl Haddad smiled wryly as he replied “He said that if Assad’s men are coming he wishes us to kill as many as we can, so, there will be fewer for him to finish off - Inshallah”.

Capt. Leslie thought darkly to himself “Well that *is* the plan. My men do not need help from God to kill the enemy.”  It seems like this was going to be an eventful day after all.

The first turn of action was uneventful. No contacts were spotted. My team on KT3 moved up and the infantry deployed.

20180726042059-1321bd91.jpg

Minute 1:59: Orders

I corrected my mistake and moved a squad up to TK8. To avoid tiring the men out, I moved 3 section up to take 2 section’s positions and moved 2 section up to TK8.

20180726042047-d9862107.jpg

quick questions about the game if you have the time to answer!

do the LAT models show up on the back of the soldier now? (AT4 M72 LAW etc)

does night vision also appear on the unit model?

also shouldnt that C9 have a C79 scope? 

Thanks!

Edited by dasitmane

8 hours ago, dasitmane said:

quick questions about the game if you have the time to answer!

do the LAT models show up on the back of the soldier now? (AT4 M72 LAW etc)

I am not seeing the disposable M72 LAW on my troops but the larger re-loadable launchers are there. I'll check what the intent is.

does night vision also appear on the unit model?

Yes. At night units equipped with night vision will wear them.

also shouldnt that C9 have a C79 scope?

That I do not know about. This is set in 2008 - were they in use on C9s at that time. I see from the Wikipedia page for the C79 that the were designed to fit on the C9. I could not confirm their use in the field though. Does anyone know about that?

Minute 1:59-1:58:

Things started to happen. The sniper team at Rutsey acquired a couple of sound contacts near the road. Looks likely to be a tank and an IFV.

20180727074113-c35e38aa.jpg

Right at the end of the turn the sniper spotted an ATGM team. As the turn ended he was taking a bead for a head shot. First blood could be mine. In the shot below look carefully in the right hand side of the upper pane of the window.

20180727074112-62d611b8.jpg

A wider shot of the sniper aiming.

20180727074112-cb99da3e.jpg

The infantry at KT3 also can hear armoured vehicles in the valley below.

20180727074114-159ba52f.jpg

Infantry moving to KT8.

20180727074114-447cf65e.jpg

One of them carrying a SRAAW.

20180727074115-4c284cd4.jpg

Minute 158: Orders

No new orders repositioning members of 14 platoon.

20180727074111-9eafc000.jpg

The squad from 15 Platoon on KT3 need to spread out more. I split the teams and have them crawling forward .

20180727074117-4bd3c5b7.jpg

To ambush whatever is coming up the valley I will move one of the C2s to a position where they can be hull down to the valley floor a head of where the contacts are. I want the enemy to move into our LOF not the other way around.

This shows a good example of how I use the hull down command. I laid down some basic move orders to get close to the location I want to be. Then I switched to the hull down command and picked a spot where I would be OK with ending up. From there I use the target command on the hull down command’s way point to pick the area I want to be hull down to. In this case it is the valley floor. The hull down way point location has hillside rising up to the left, so the location where the enemy is now does not have LOS to my new location.

20180727074116-1a7b1306.jpg

I also verify that that previous way point does *not* have LOS to the location I want to be hull down to. This is so the hull down command can work its magic – when the vehicle starts the hull down command it cannot see the location of interest and as vehicle moves along the hull down route it will watch for when I can see the location of interest and stop when it can.

20180727074117-6ab8f3a9.jpg

I was in the military at that time (well, until last month actually!) and we absolutely had C79s on our C9s.

Maybe Reserve Units didn't (set eq. to Poor maybe?) but we sure did even in the Artillery.

Also, can so-sign on LAV commanders being lower down, additionally the MG on the LAV and Coyote was not remote operated.

We carried as many LAWs as possible as it was the only way to bust up what we called "Grape Huts" which were thick mud brick agricultural buildings.

I'm happy to answer as many CF related questions as I can as one of the things I liked best about CMSF was seeing "myself" represented in a major wargame.

e: The C9s we had in Afghanistan were the improved C9A2 which has the same buttstock as the C7 and comes issued with the C79 and has green furniture like the C7A2.
c9a2-cc.png?crc=516059457

Edited by DougPhresh