CMRT Module 1 Bones

Steve spoke time ago, about the development of R2V and RT. It looked that the work was very advance in both cases. Now that R2V is in preorder, will we have wait  much time for the Red Thunder module? Is it coming  soon after R2V?

On 7/8/2019 at 8:08 PM, Jumpete said:

Steve spoke time ago, about the development of R2V and RT. It looked that the work was very advance in both cases. Now that R2V is in preorder, will we have wait  much time for the Red Thunder module? Is it coming  soon after R2V?

Can someone of BF answer this question please? Surely after all this time it must be possible to give an estimate of the release date. Is it realistic to expect it before the end of this year?

An update about partisans would also be nice!  Given that it seems like most of the other content (late war German vehicles, lend-lease, etc.) has already been created for other games/modules, it would sure be nice to get some unique East Front units such as partisans... 

I'd also be happy to buy partisans in a separate battlepack or whatever, as long as we don't have to wait another five years for it.

In both CMRT and CMBS I believe 'partisans' are (perhaps) being considered for future vehicle/force packs, not for the modules. Partisan fighters in 1945 is a difficult topic as their fate often involved being rounded up by their Soviet liberators and shipped off to Siberia. Partisan units in 1942/43 (in later titles) would be more significant. But then again, any scenario designer can take a Russian infantry unit and rename it 'Partisans' for the purpose of their scenario. In CMSF2 you can find 'renamed' allied Druz militia spies, Hezbollah splinter factions, foreign mercenaries, neighborhood criminal gangs, CIA spec ops troops... none of which are 'officially' in the game.

The CMRT and CMFI modules have been 'almost complete' for awhile. Much of the CMRT module artwork was finished 2 1/2 years ago. The big issue has always been scheduling & prioritization. BFC is a small company. A coworker catching a head cold or going on summer holiday is enough to throw off any schedule. Earlier this year the company went on a mini hiring spree (relatively speaking) which means there are more hands toiling away. The across-the board patches are done and released. The road is now clear for polishing off the 'almost complete' projects that have been languishing.

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

In both CMRT and CMBS I believe 'partisans' are (perhaps) being considered for future vehicle/force packs, not for the modules. Partisan fighters in 1945 is a difficult topic as their fate often involved being rounded up by their Soviet liberators and shipped off to Siberia. Partisan units in 1942/43 (in later titles) would be more significant. But then again, any scenario designer can take a Russian infantry unit and rename it 'Partisans' for the purpose of their scenario. In CMSF2 you can find 'renamed' allied Druz militia spies, Hezbollah splinter factions, foreign mercenaries, neighborhood criminal gangs, CIA spec ops troops... none of which are 'officially' in the game.

The CMRT and CMFI modules have been 'almost complete' for awhile. Much of the CMRT module artwork was finished 2 1/2 years ago. The big issue has always been scheduling & prioritization. BFC is a small company. A coworker catching a head cold or going on summer holiday is enough to throw off any schedule. Earlier this year the company went on a mini hiring spree (relatively speaking) which means there are more hands toiling away. The across-the board patches are done and released. The road is now clear for polishing off the 'almost complete' projects that have been languishing.

I'm glad to hear that, but it sounds exactly like what we've been told for the past few years. Is it realistic to say the CMRT module should be finished this year?

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Partisan fighters in 1945 is a difficult topic

Yeah, but this module was billed as not only covering 1945, but rounding out the forces from 1944, when partisans were very relevant.

Regarding force packs, as I've said I'd be happy to buy one with partisans, but honestly if I have to wait another 5 years for it, I don't think I'll care any more.  And again, the fact that the vast majority of content for this one seems like it is being recycled from other games/ modules is rather disappointing.

I remember when the CMx2 engine came out, when Battlefront said that they'd be able to put out several modules a year, etc.  Haha.  Five plus years for this one is seriously bonkers and honestly, a huge turn off for me.

Edited by 76mm

10 hours ago, 76mm said:

I remember when the CMx2 engine came out, when Battlefront said that they'd be able to put out several modules a year, etc.  Haha.  Five plus years for this one is seriously bonkers and honestly, a huge turn off for me.

Agreed,  What annoys and worries me even more is the lack of information, bones and ETA for the CMRT module. Steve told us that the module is more or less 'outsourced', so hey, we also don't have any idea when it will be finished. Totally unacceptable of course, small company or not. It's all a bit of a mess, but that's water under the bridge. To make a fresh start and restore faith we need reliable and clear information and the modules must be released asap. Yes, restore faith, because my trust in BF is not what it used to be, i'm sorry to say. And before the usual suspects will attack me on that one, I'll say that I'm far from alone in that opinion. A large part of the community feels that way. Five bloody years waiting for a module. It's ludicrous.

The Rome module doesn't make me extremely happy, personally i think it's milking the cow to death, but i'll buy it anyway. The patches and upgrades are of course necessary, but I refuse to see them as progress. Just a necessary 'evil', which has taken a lot of time and energy, on both sides. But happy to see bugs are fixed of course. I must say I like the new PR, but a new haircut doesn't mean all is forgotten and  forgiven. 🙂

The CMRT module, that's what it's all about for me. And then, another fresh start hopefully. Never mind modules and packs, just move on to CM3 and get a grip again on your own activities. Stop taking too much hay on your fork.

Edited by Aragorn2002

Do you guys also believe in Santa Claus still? 🙈

IMO it's very naive to believe, that a game release has been delayed for years because of a few new formations. Nobody is interessted in 4 instead of 8 carabines per squad, a few new textures with a different unit name if the game was all about simulation and depth in its glory days.

Either they have sold out long time ago or they are making their money elsewhere - for example developing cheap ****ty apps for smartphones.

IMO they are just milking the tiny fanbase and keep it somewhat on life support with empty promises and when the shop turns permanently cashflow negative, the shop will be closed and you will hear: sorry folks, after such a long time it's time to move on.

And the fanboys will believe that, too and say "THANK YOU!" for betraying and lying to us for years. 😍

Wow, CarlWAW.  That was really awful what you wrote.  I am not being 'milked'.  When they have new content, I give them money.  When they don't, I don't.  If they are scamming us they really need to do a better job of it. 

Yes, please move on.  You are distracting the developers from making new content for fanboys like me.

7 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

The CMRT module, that's what it's all about for me. And then, another fresh start hopefully. Never mind modules and packs, just move on to CM3 and get a grip again on your own activities. Stop taking too much hay on your fork.

I'm also rather curious about what's next, after the CMRT module...  As I understand, the Western Front is more or less finished, unless they move to the desert war, or France 1940, neither of which seem particularly likely. 

There is of course, a vast amount of remaining material for the Eastern Front, but, along with the five year pace for the first CMRT Module, I've seen nothing about work having started on even the "Kursk" game, much less earlier periods.  At this pace, I almost certainly won't live to see CM:  Barbarossa.  And then there are modules for CMBS and SF2, which again, at the current pace, could easily occupy the next three-four years.

I would be a first-day buy (actually, pre-order) for any Eastern Front content released by Battlefront, but given the slow pace of releases I've been forced to look for alternatives....tried to go back to CMBB, but the clunky screen resolution issues make that impossible for me.  So now I've re-installed Steel Panthers for the first time in many years, will give that a whirl again.  I may eventually have to look at the Graviteam games again, although last time I did so I didn't care much for them.

Edited by 76mm

3 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

Wow, CarlWAW.  That was really awful what you wrote.

Yeah sounds about right...

If you hover over his avatar the popup window has a "Ignore User" option towards the bottom. It sure is nice not to read some of the silliness and vitriol that some members on the page tend to spew. I highly recommend ignoring those people.

Like everyone else here, I want more content.  I want it now.  Or at least by Monday.  I want eastern front 41-43, I want the desert war.  I want 1980s nato vs warsaw pact.  I want Korean war.  But BF is just a few developers and delivering software is ****ing hard, really ****ing hard.  For those who have never had to do that it's hard to imagine how much goes wrong in the simplest ****ing thing when it's in the hands of users. 

So keep complaining about wanting more, I will too.  But attacking BF personally like that, basically calling them thieves, that's just ****ed.

2 hours ago, CarlWAW said:

Do you guys also believe in Santa Claus still? 🙈

IMO it's very naive to believe, that a game release has been delayed for years because of a few new formations. Nobody is interessted in 4 instead of 8 carabines per squad, a few new textures with a different unit name if the game was all about simulation and depth in its glory days.

Either they have sold out long time ago or they are making their money elsewhere - for example developing cheap ****ty apps for smartphones.

IMO they are just milking the tiny fanbase and keep it somewhat on life support with empty promises and when the shop turns permanently cashflow negative, the shop will be closed and you will hear: sorry folks, after such a long time it's time to move on.

And the fanboys will believe that, too and say "THANK YOU!" for betraying and lying to us for years. 😍

Sounds far too cynical for me. I've said my faith in BF isn't what it used to be, but it's still considerable. I'm very certain they mean well, are 100% honest and regret the delay even more than we do.

But you're clearly an idiot, so better not waste too much time on this answer.

Edited by Aragorn2002

22 minutes ago, benpark said:

Wrong again.

I answered this, not long ago. In response to you. So you should know the answer.

Here it is again. 

Didn't read that answer, old boy. And Steve DID say that CMRT was done by other people and that he was as much in the dark as we are. From his answer I gathered that it was a unique situation, so I stand corrected on that point. Glad to hear that actually.

Edited by Aragorn2002

2 hours ago, danfrodo said:

So keep complaining about wanting more, I will too.  But attacking BF personally like that, basically calling them thieves, that's just ****ed.

What he said.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, benpark said:

Wrong again.

I answered this, not long ago. In response to you. So you should know the answer.

Here it is again.

And that too.....Really looking forward to seeing 'that map' Ben.  B)

4 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Steve DID say that CMRT was done by other people and that he was as much in the dark as we are.

Hold up now. What? Quote please- as Steve being "in the dark" about anything around here would be most odd- particularly as we have been in contact through all these long years of development.