Video Software to Record CM

Currently I am using FRAPS which is free to make videos of some of the action in my PBEM games.  I also us it to take screenshots.  The screenshots are fine but the video only lasts for 30 seconds so for the replay of one turn it takes two video clips.  I have seen a lot of very well done and good quality videos on You Tube of Combat Mission Final Blitzkrieg, Fortress Italy and
Battle for Normandy.  I am wondering what software is available both free and retail that I could use in place of FRAPS.  Thanks.

@Bootie, I have Win 10. I just hit the Printscreen button on my keyboard for a screenshot. By default (I guess) they are saved in my C drive, Users/(the administrator's name/Pictures.

@IanL. I didn't realize W10 had a built in video capture; I'll have to rummage around for it and try it out. Thanks for the tip.

Hmmm, anyone tried recording using this (Win10 Game DVR) and if so how have you found it.

I plan to give it a try later tonight - but have little to zero experience using video capture on PC so my impressions may be wrong/useless. :)

Ta

• 2 weeks later...

If you've got an nvidia card download the free Nvidia Experience and check out ShadowPlay.  Makes a good video and you can downsize the files using movie maker (free program /w win 7, i assume it's in 10 as well).

Nice thing about ShadowPlay besides the fact it works seamlessly is it has an option to record the last 5 minutes with the push of a button, so you don't have to leave it running if you don't want to, just hit ALT-F10 whenever something cool happened and viola, the last 5 minutes is sitting there waiting for you as a file.

On 7/26/2016 at 11:59 AM, zinzan said:

Hmmm, anyone tried recording using this (Win10 Game DVR) and if so how have you found it.

I plan to give it a try later tonight - but have little to zero experience using video capture on PC so my impressions may be wrong/useless. :)

Ta

TBH it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. I found it to be disappointing quality wise, even on the supposed "quality" setting or whatever. The video was still compressed all to hell. Here's the video I recorded with it if you want to see for yourself. The fuzzy text was in the recorded video file and not a product of youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIJNMufUSqk

• 4 weeks later...

More grist for the mill.

It seems that FRAPS is not entirely Windows10 compatible.  In my case, it worked once and then fails ever after.  Googling an alternative, I came accross BANDICAM.  https://www.bandicam.com/fraps-alternative/ and https://www.bandicam.com/support/start2/. I'm favorably impressed so far with their free download version.  I have not used the video recording tools yet but taking screenshots is straightforward and created as JPEG (.jpg) files instead of the FRAPS's free version less robust Bitmap (.bmp) files.

For those Windows 10 users now in need of a FRAPS alternative, check out and consider Bandicam.  Good luck and good gaming.

Edited by Badger73

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:12 AM, Badger73 said:

For those Windows 10 users now in need of a FRAPS alternative, check out and consider Bandicam.  Good luck and good gaming.

FRAPS works fine on windows 10, uninstall FRAPS, download a new installer and reinstall it, then set the default video player to Windows Media Player instead of 'Movies and TV', which will run the compatible codecs. Then, FRAPS should work just fine, I've been using it with Windows 10 since day 1.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...