Kieme's modding corner

Is there any way to add our own tank names?  

I've just added 'Creeping Death'. Just open up the file in paintshop (or photo editing software of your choice) and select the stencil font. Just paint the name in the same place as the others (using Kiemes' original 'no name' bmp file). I selected the layer properties as 'overlay'.

Sure you can add your own tank names.

As a reference I used font size 20, light grey color, all capital letters.

This is a link to the (free) font I used, it's quite similar to the original used by the US Army:

http://it.fonts2u.com/browning.carattere

Follow the instructions inside the download to install it.

Be sure to name the files correctly adding progressive numbers or sbustituting the numbers of the mod.

As regarding the mods to download, you should find recalling topics with a list of released mods, for example this one: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117795-kiemes-modding-corner/?p=1585353

all these mods are compatible with each other and others' mods like sound mods, tactical icon mods, force background mods etc. 

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Great work Kieme. Will the tank nicknames also work with stock textures or can they only be ued with your other mods?

Sure they will; you will have an M1A2 with some dirt on the gun, the front and back side skirts (under the ERA) and the front lower hull, the rest of the tank will retain the vanilla textures. 

Otherwise you can use the original texture and add your own names as described before.

Sorry guys have to ask :( I love the new textures BUT so many download links. Which ones to download?

All of them!

Do what I did:  start at the end of the thread and move backwards, downloading mods as Kieme posts them.  Eventually you'll come to a post that includes links to all the mods he has posted so far, so you can stop moving back at that post--everything up to that point is listed there.

Kieme CMBS USA Bradley desert ERA add on

This is just an option.

This mod adds some ERA blocks of a different color (desert yellow). These blocks will be shown on each Bradley in a random fashion, thus making each vehicle different.

The texture for desert blocks has been imported from the old CMSF.
If you like the concept, it creates sort of a camouflage.

Download:

https://app.box.com/s/6yclcf9dq3fkeuvafb0vv2kahj9uo3sp

Preview:

6ibudi.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Kieme CMBS USA Bradley graffiti add on

This is another option for the Bradley.

This mod will add a funny hand-written graffiti on the back ramp of each vehicle. There are 23 different short phrases of various kind that will show up randomly on Bradleys in game.

Download:

https://app.box.com/s/992zusj8ika9g3a00hsi84qez2x45v4c

Preview:

16a8fq1.jpg

Sure they will; you will have an M1A2 with some dirt on the gun, the front and back side skirts (under the ERA) and the front lower hull, the rest of the tank will retain the vanilla textures. 

Otherwise you can use the original texture and add your own names as described before.

Ok, thanks, i made a mod that adds barrel names to the vanilla textures. I mostly used the names from your mod and added a few of my own, hope you are ok if i upload it anyways. Adding the names was easier than i thought. However, i do have a aproblem: 1) the game seems to only use the textures 1 to 4. 5 to 40 are not used. 2) at longer ranges the names change. At 20 meters, the tanks name is "Absolute Death, at 60 it becomes "Godfather". Any idea what i could do to fix this?

Edited by agusto

Sure you can add your own tank names.

Sweet.  I'll give it a whirl once I figure out how to make mods work in the first place! (reading manual, part of my brain just isn't quite wrapping around it!)

Tank/IFV name addendum:

1. The name is supposed to match the Company the tank belongs to.  Given that tank companies now only exist as the second two line companies in a Combined Arms Battalion, I hope you like C and D names (I went with Darwinian Selector myself).  There's H names too, but that's generally the Battalion Commander's tank.

2. Bradleys if they have names (this is uncommon) have them across the rear bustle rack under those ammo cans.  Infantry companies in a CAB (so all Bradley infantry companies) are all A or B companies (most awkward name combo goes to "Beast" and "Beastmaster" in the same platoon)

3. Tanks are rarely un-named as a rule.  Bradleys are rarely named, but there's nothing forbidding it.

4. Some units buck the names having to follow the A/B/C/D convention entirely, and especially when it comes to deploying, a vehicle might be "Dauntless" in the motorpool, but "Murder Inc" when it's about to cross the berm into crapastan.

Thanks for the info Panzer,

the only limit we must keep in mind with CMBS is that the vehicle names are 100% random, this means that if you have 2 companies, or tanks from 2 companies, the names will mix. If you have single vehicles picked they will have mix names.

If you want to try a 100% realistic combination you also should be 100% sure that you will Always have tanks from a single company. And in any case all names of one signle group, as you said, with the same starting letter.

The font I posted a link of should be very similar to the original one. As a start find out the correct .bmp file, then put the names on the gun tube using paint.. you can give it a try.

I could make a Bradley name add on too now that you gave me so valuable info about it. Only problem is that if I add A... names for A company, then those names will be on B company vehicles too, if I add A... and B... names they will mix... so I would skip the rule in this case too (as for the Abrams).

Moreover, I wonder what kind of name should the Brads have, the same generic types as I did for the Abrams, the very same of the Abrams, or something else, I don't know, female names, animal names, or city names, for example.

Guys from USA could really give good hints on this becase I am out of ideas and no native US citizen.

Agusto, sure you can upload whatever you desire. I really don't know about that problem, all I can say is try to be sure about the numbering of the files, it is possible the game could flip out if something is not in order.

About the names changing at a given distance, could be something related to the LOD models of the game... whenever a different LOD model is loaded (because you went too far with your camera) the game might pick another random texture... you don't notice this normally because vehicles only got 1 texture each, but if you add multiple options (such as names or markings) I belive the above might happen. Not Always though, could be either a very minor bug or an engine functionality.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Here's some names from my last unit's Infantry Companies

Able and Ready

Awesome

All American

Apocalypse

Bieber Fever

Baker Boys 

Beast

Beastmaster

Here's some tank ones from my company and our sister company

Canifex

Carnivore 

Chingon

Cobra King II Cobra King was a famous World War Two tank.   I'm sure there's actually closer to Cobra King XXXIII at this point

Chaos Driven

Can't Miss

Calvin n' Hobbes 

Choot em' Choot em' The commander had a super-thick  accent

Darwinian Selector 

Democracy Inaction

Darling Gray Eyes

Dr. Evil

Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Feel Good

Demented Dr Seuss

Dante's Inferno

Downeaster Alexa

Dropkick Murphy

Dracula 

Darts

Degraded

Dereliction of Duty

Dennis Rodman Note this one changed after he turned traitor and started hanging out in the DPRK

Damage Control 

Display Only This was the original name for the Company Commander's tank

Desmadre

Das Boot

Deus Irea I almost went with this, but did not want to have to explain what it meant on a daily basis

Just some off the top of my head.

Thanks a lot for your help panzer!

I'd like to make a Bradley nickname add on option as you pointed where with those names.

By the way, some are really hilarious, like demented doctor seuss.

I recognized "can't miss", which I saw before you told me from this picture: http://i59.tinypic.com/29pxeko.jpg

By the way, the real names are quite better than mine, but I went for more tv and movie stuff, guess that's the wrong way as US Army personnel has more imagination than I gave thought.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

aha remarkable to be able to talk to someone who was there. Thanks again for your support.

What do you think about this low-visibility tentative?

Ouch, found a problem! Cheap BFC used the same basket texture to cover the lower part of the turret sensor...

I shall move the text on the bolted plate above where it is now.

21pxtc.jpg

Edited by Kieme(ITA)