"Would be nice" feature list

* Add C2 lines (so you can tell why that squad doesn't want to listen to orders).

What do you think of my suggestion (earlier in this thread) as an alternative to C2 lines?

image: http://www.battlefront.com/community...6&d=1307041444

I'd also like to add:

1 Different floating symbol for teams (a little A or B or C) next to split units.

2. Floating Icon suppression meter.

3. AI area fire at likely targets and lost targets.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

* Add a "Target Heavy" command for tanks, mortar, and arty crews to fire main armament only and not MGs or the crew's small arms (which rapidly gives away the mortar's position).

+1 to that idea.

It would also be nice if target heavy/normal/light were "states" that units could be set to.

Being able to set other "states" too would be nice, such as move to contact, retreat on being spotted, etc – and having hunt as a state rather than a separate movement order, so that you could have the behavior regardless of the movement speed. Rather like the difference between having to use the crawl movement in order to hide versus clicking the hide command so that the unit goes into hide mode as soon as it stops moving.

So instead of setting a 3m target arc for your bazooka team, clicking hide, and then ordering it to hunt to a location, you could set hunt, target heavy, armor only, retreat on taking fire, etc as states separate from the actual movement orders and assigned targets.

I'd love a universal LOS tool unconnected to any unit. One click on any part of the map to anchor the point of origin, then moving the cursor to any another point gives you a readout of the distance between the points and whether LOS is possible or not. One more click (or a right-click) and it goes away.

This may have been requested before, but I'd like this so much that I thought I'd raise it again.

Michael

This is a very good assessment.

I would like to see;

* An option for setting the range for engagement for units, including setting the HQ unit and all subordinates, this would help with ambushes & preventing AT units from firing outside effective range.

* the option to set the number of purchase points in Quick Battles.

* More detailed information on the purchase screen.

I would like to see gridded terrain of all types as part of the actual

game itself, with a "toggle" to turn it off/on.

Given the game is tactical in nature and elevation changes

of even a minor degree can be so important to discern in order

to properly deploy one's forces, I think this should be a priority. :D

Hello Guys!

It's such a long time since my CMBO, CMBB and CMAK battles: only a few days ago I got the CMBN for the Mac, and started a few training scenarios. Great! Have you seen that!?

I subscribe to the many requests here, but especially those regarding a LOS tool and the Movable/Draggable Way Points (!); another function I'm missing is the popup Orders Clipboard of CMX1, that was very handy. Since I've just started using this new system, at the moment I cannot say much more: I also would like to gather my prisoners and shepherd them wherever I like! but they just disappear... Wouldn't be nice to have an MP appear and collect them? ;)

Nice to have features...

Movable Waypoints.

I personally think this is more important than nice to have, but some think moveable waypoints are convenience only, so I'll put it on the nice to have list, too.

More than one pre-plotted indirect fire mission per asset.

When I tackle a battle, I would like the ability to pre-plot indirect fire more than just 1 mission per asset. As it is now, I think I can only pre-plot one mission for each asset. For example, I'd like to pre-plot a smoke mission to cover an advance on Turn 1. Then I'd like to bring down some death and destruction on suspected enemy battle positions when the smoke clears on turn 5.

Unconnected LOS tool

Because plotting a spurious movement point first is just inconvenient. There could be different tools for LOS depending on how "omniscient" terrain spotting should be.

Point-to-Point LOS Tool

Pretty much what we have now w/o the bother of first plotting a movement point. Could be easily initiated using key stroke (ctrl+alt+left-click?).

Point-to-All-Points LOS Tool

Another solution is to allow selection of a spot on the map (ctrl+alt+left-click?) and then show the player what other terrain spots on the map have obstructed (dark), partially obstructed (less dark) or unobstructed (bright) view to/from that spot. This would be a pretty powerful tool for a defender - but probably mimics what would happen in a prepared defense scenario where the defender selects choke/ambush targets and then looks around to figure out out where to position defensive assets.

Non-Omniscient Terrain Spotting

Other than the defender in a prepared defense scenario, players shouldn't be able see terrain detail that their units cannot see. Even defenders should not be able to see changes in terrain caused by unit action that their units cannot see.

Expected Movement Path Information

It's kind of frustrating to plot a movement only to discover that the actual path the unit takes is silly or worse suicidal. Even worse for the WEGO player, being unable to do anything about it for 60 seconds except scream "STOP!" at the monitor.

There might be a couple of ways to tackle this...

Unit Cannot Enter/Unit Cannot Cross

It seems most of the movement issues occur when a unit cannot cross a terrain type. The movement pointer does show when a unit cannot enter a terrain. But as far as I can tell, the movement pointer does not show when a unit cannot cross a terrain. So perhaps one solution would be to have the movement pointer show when a unit cannot cross a terrain.

Another possible solution along these lines is to change the color of terrain that a unit cannot enter or cannot cross when plotting movement orders.

Show Expected Movement Path

Once movement is plotted, allow the player to see the path the unit expects to take to reach the various waypoints. That would allow players to easily spot anticipated silliness. Maybe this could even help with vehicle congestion since units can interfere with each others movement path.

Copy Movement Commands

Select a unit and have the option to copy the movement path of another unit beginning at a selected waypoint. For example, the player has plotted movement for Unit1. When plotting movement for Unit2, the player has the option to "copy" the movement commands of Unit1, beginning at a selected waypoint.

Combined with moveable waypoints (described above), this would be extremely powerful.

Copy Movement Commands

Combined with moveable waypoints (described above), this would be extremely powerful.

Yep! Am I missing the follow command here too? Maybe I make confusion about it, but wasn't there something of the kind in CMX1? Would be nice to have vehicle moving in column, or a squad following a tank...

I also liked very much the automatic Assault Command splitting the squad with an advance party while the rest follows: indeed a very nice feature!

Why not making an Explore Command do the same for the whole squad, splitting the Scout teams automatically while the rest of the squad follows in the proper covering formation?

In my short experience using CMBN I noticed that if you give a movement order in a general direction, in a later turn you will not see a detailed plotted path to reach the target: in CMX1 it was then possible to drag and re plot that same path to better coordination...

Oh yes: Autosave!!!

Or is there any way to retrieve the last played turn in a file somewhere on the HD?

Thanks for reading!

Cheers

Point-to-Point LOS Tool

Pretty much what we have now w/o the bother of first plotting a movement point. Could be easily initiated using key stroke (ctrl+alt+left-click?).

+1 on that - but: how should the game know at which height you are at the spot you are looking from?

Point-to-All-Points LOS Tool

That would be IMHO a bit to gamey.

Expected Movement Path Information

It's kind of frustrating to plot a movement only to discover that the actual path the unit takes is silly or worse suicidal. Even worse for the WEGO player, being unable to do anything about it for 60 seconds except scream "STOP!" at the monitor.

Steve has said in another thread that this would be costly computing power wise. But this wouldn't matter for WEGO - I would happily wait a second after each waypoint to see where my units plan to go. For RT it is, as you said, not so important.

But +2 on that for sure!

LOS and path are the only two things that annoy me in this otherwise very, very good game.

I'd love a universal LOS tool unconnected to any unit. One click on any part of the map to anchor the point of origin, then moving the cursor to any another point gives you a readout of the distance between the points and whether LOS is possible or not. One more click (or a right-click) and it goes away.

This may have been requested before, but I'd like this so much that I thought I'd raise it again.

Michael

Complete agreement

A hotkey for "select all units" - this way I could easily select all units and have bases of all my units highlighted when I need it.

Could work for me as a poor's man unit's bases, a feature which I miss so much from CMx1...

Or a hotkey that highlights bases of all known units - as well mine as enemies.

So instead of setting a 3m target arc for your bazooka team, clicking hide, and then ordering it to hunt to a location, you could set hunt, target heavy, armor only, retreat on taking fire, etc as states separate from the actual movement orders and assigned targets.

These sound very much like SOPs, which have been requested for the last dozen years or so and which BFC has consistently refused to provide. I doubt that they are going to alter their policy any time soon.

Michael

I don't know if this would be categorized as "too finicky", but I would find it very convenient. I find myself nearly always splitting squads into their component teams. Now, if you click on any member of a platoon, whether squad or team, all the floating icons of that platoon are highlighted. That's nice I suppose, although I haven't experienced a need for it myself. What I would like is for all the teams of a given squad to have a unique color to their floating icons so that I can spot all the members of that squad at a glance. This would be helpful in keeping my forces organized. If unique color coding is unworkable for some reason, such as running out of recognizably distinct colors if a lot of units are on the map, then some other method of visually cueing this information?

Michael