Coming soon... Forcing the La Fiere Causeway

I've been working on this map on and off for a couple of months now, and finally have gotten the time to finish it.

Forcing the La Fiere Causeway will depict the bloody June 9 American assault across the causeway. This scenario will come in two versions: a full depiction with a large map and battalion-sized forces, and a smaller "lite" version for people who don't like really large scenarios.

The map is almost complete and is made using Google Earth and especially Google Street View, with the features compared against period photos and topographic maps in an attempt to attain the most accurate map possible.

Here's a comparison:

18causeway.jpg

lafiere.jpg

Well, today isn't my day! Sgt. Schultz announced he's doing a AB drop scenario similar to one I was working on, and I've been putting together a La Fiere causeway map for 82nd/505th campaign since the downloading the game last week!:(

Nonetheless, it looks good , Normal Dude!

Well, today isn't my day! Sgt. Schultz announced he's doing a AB drop scenario similar to one I was working on, and I've been putting together a La Fiere causeway map for 82nd/505th campaign since the downloading the game last week!:(

Nonetheless, it looks good , Normal Dude!

I know that feeling...got trumped on a mod for CMA and never did get around to finishing it...but, hey keep at! The more the merrier...plus you'll get lots of insight into using the editor and working out your plans, think of it as practice for more awesome stuff you'll make later...AND It'll get played my friend, trust me!

Mord.

P.S. And nice work Normal Dude, it's lookin' good.

Thanks everyone. Also keep in mind that this is on June 9, AFTER those R35 tanks were destroyed.

I'm working off of a unit AAR conducted during the war as my primary source for the battle, but if anyone has more info on the German force it would be appreciated. The info I have found is very sketchy.

I've been working on this map on and off for a couple of months now, and finally have gotten the time to finish it.

Forcing the La Fiere Causeway will depict the bloody June 9 American assault across the causeway. This scenario will come in two versions: a full depiction with a large map and battalion-sized forces, and a smaller "lite" version for people who don't like really large scenarios.

The map is almost complete and is made using Google Earth and especially Google Street View, with the features compared against period photos and topographic maps in an attempt to attain the most accurate map possible.

Here's a comparison:

18causeway.jpg

lafiere.jpg

That is superb - been hoping someone would do a scenario on this - bit surprised it wasnt in the game actually - but then was a bit surprised at the paucity of airborne scenarios. Still who cares - what a freaking game !:D

The map looks great! But I'm curious to know your thought process on making the flooded fields all water instead of marsh?

I assume you want to restrict all movement to the causeway but wouldn't making the fields all marsh give a better impression of a flooded field as a opposed to one large lake?

I assume you want to restrict all movement to the causeway but wouldn't making the fields all marsh give a better impression of a flooded field as a opposed to one large lake?

I started off with all marsh, but moved to water so that the player HAS to use the causeway. Marsh now allows infantry to move through it. Having impassible water will also make the AI's pathfinding easier.

I started off with all marsh, but moved to water so that the player HAS to use the causeway. Marsh now allows infantry to move through it. Having impassible water will also make the AI's pathfinding easier.

Purely for the visuals (not that it really needs it, since it looks great as is) you could put in a 'border' of water, then in-fill the fields with marsh, trees, etc.

I know that feeling...got trumped on a mod for CMA and never did get around to finishing it...but, hey keep at! The more the merrier...plus you'll get lots of insight into using the editor and working out your plans, think of it as practice for more awesome stuff you'll make later...AND It'll get played my friend, trust me!

LOL, Normal Dude's one of the masters of scenario-making, so I can learn alot from him. I will still be working on mine until I complete it, since it's just a lot of fun and it neat to discover how to make things look right by trial and error. I plan on making make scenarios covering the actions all around the area June 6-15, and around Ste Mere Eglise. I can't think of a better way to spend my liesure time for the next, oh, six months or so! :) Besides, I learned how to use a lot of features in Google maps these last two months leading up to the game's release for what I hope are all kinds of scenarios for CMBN and beyond.

@Normal Dude, I used for sources Phil Nordyke's "All American-All the Way" and his companion volumes about the 504th and 505th; Robert Murphy's "No Better Place to Die"; various websites, a couple of my Dad's buddies who were veterans of the 82nd (now deceased, sadly), and various US Army maps of the period. I also used the 1999 Critical Hit Boardgame "Combat Normandy" which surprisingly had some very good research included with it. But none of those sources provided much in the way of the German TO&E on the west side of the Merderet. I don't know what might be found in German sources, do you? I figure if nothing else, I'll use the boardgame scenarios as a guide.

Would someone care to elaborate how to get detailed and reliable information about terrain, OOB, outcome etc. of historical small unit engagements? I mean ok, La Fiere Causeway is a little better known than the average battles all over Normandy, but where to get to know about them to recreate them as CMBN scenarios? How much guessing is involved in such historical scenarios?

Are there dedicated websites or special books you have to buy? It would really interest me to make historical scenarios.

Rokko,

a lot of it is based on informed guesswork. Generally it's pretty easy to find out which divisions were involved in a fight. Often you can find out which regiments. From there you need to find out what the actual composition of the regiments involved were. For instance, for the US this site provides a pretty good idea of how US untis were organised. Then - depending on which specific battle you're dealing with - it's a matter of guess work and interpreting hints. Also, once you start really loking into a battle you often find that one source leads to another leads to another leads to another, and before you know it you have a mass of paper you've got no hope of getting through this side of The Rapture, and even if you could most of it would be contradictory anyway :D So you're back to informed guess work. A map might show a particular bn in a particular location the day before 'your' battle - is it reasonable to assume that was the bn invovled in 'your' battle? Maybe. Assume it is, but keep your eyes open. Another account might mention the presence of scout cars - where did they come from? Assume the divisional cav squadron, but keep your eyes open for other references.

You also need to develop a good idea of the kinds of typical combined arms forces you'd likely find. Say an infantry bn attacks - it won't have everything in the shiop window. The AT Platoon will probably be left behind, along with the A&P Platoon. And probably one of the companys, or at least one or two of the platoons. On the other hand it'll probably have a platoon of tanks, and a battery of artillery. Depending on the objective, maybe also a platoon of engineers, and the regimental cannon company. And so on. But none of those things are likely to be at full strength, so apply a headcount reduction of some form.

Like I said; informed guess work, based on credible force allocations.

On the plus side, though; if you come across a battle that interests you in one book, it is HIGHLY likely you'll come across it in another. 29th Infantry Division, for example, has a string of really good books - by Balkoski, Johns, and Cawthon, as well as bit parts in the Green Books and Doubler - that provide multiple perspectives. The airborne division, obviously, have had a TON written about them and everything they did. And so on.

Then there's teh interwebs. The USCGSC has a huge range of documents available online. CMH has got a lot too, and then there are lots and lots of 'popular' sites that can be of variable quality but might be able to provide snippets.

For terrain, use online mapping sites. Geoportail is great for contours, and there is another French site I've linked to elsewhere that will serve up aerial photos of the whole of Normandy from 1947. Those are priceless.

Hopefully that's of some use :)

Jon