Can the music be stopped?

Just playing the demo - love the game and it works like a charm on my system.

Big question: How do I kill the opening music? Without killing all the sound, that is.

The game loads with music I really don't want to hear and it annoys my wife - so I need to kill it. Once I know how to do that, I can order it!

Thanks

I actually sorta liked the original CMSF music. *ducks away from hurled tomatoes* But since Lon Kaiser posted his alternate tracks, I've been using those—and enjoying every bar. :D If he composes alternate tracks for CMBN, I'll be more than glad to check them out as well.

Granted, since switching to Windows 7, for some reason the music cuts out a few seconds into the loading screen anyway... :rolleyes:

Alt-S doesn't work when loading, only in a static screen. If you press Alt-S during loading, it waits until a scenario loads, then turns off all sound when the game starts. Bug?

That means having to either find the Windows volume control and use it while the program loads, or listening to the annoying, generic soundtrack. Pain in the butt either way.

If someone can point me to the location of the appropriate sound file, I'll simply delete it.

This question has been answered long ago, by a native american, construction worker, cop, cowboy, biker and soldier :

You can't stop the music, nobody can stop the music.

Take the cold from snow, tell the trees, don't grow,

tell the wind, don't blow, 'cause it's easier.

No, you can't stop the music, nobody can stop the music.

Take the spark from love, make the rain fall up

'cause that's easier to do.

:D

But... you can turn it off before you start loading anything. :confused:

If I remember before I click start.... but why should I, the user, have to turn sound on and off every time I want to play?

Having music that can't be controlled, even during load, is considered a poor design feature. Has been since the earliest PC games. I reviewed games in the 80s and 90s that had this flaw, and for the most part designers have gone past that. Well-thought-out games today offer separate music and sound controls.

It's the game equivalent of elevator or supermarket music - you can't control it; you're forced to listen to it. It's also like those annoying web sites that start music when you visit, with no embedded volume control.

It grates. It joins things like TV sets in restaurants or coffee shops as someone else's tastes being foisted on the public. Sure I can Alt-Tab to my desktop, load the volume control, mute it, let the game load then Alt-Tab back to restore the sound. But that's a user-hostile process.

For me, it's a design flaw. And as much as the game interests me, I'll wait for confirmation that the music can be turned off in the game, and for good, before I buy it.

If I remember before I click start.... but why should I, the user, have to turn sound on and off every time I want to play?

Having music that can't be controlled, even during load, is considered a poor design feature. Has been since the earliest PC games. I reviewed games in the 80s and 90s that had this flaw, and for the most part designers have gone past that. Well-thought-out games today offer separate music and sound controls.

It's the game equivalent of elevator or supermarket music - you can't control it; you're forced to listen to it. It's also like those annoying web sites that start music when you visit, with no embedded volume control.

It grates. It joins things like TV sets in restaurants or coffee shops as someone else's tastes being foisted on the public. Sure I can Alt-Tab to my desktop, load the volume control, mute it, let the game load then Alt-Tab back to restore the sound. But that's a user-hostile process.

For me, it's a design flaw. And as much as the game interests me, I'll wait for confirmation that the music can be turned off in the game, and for good, before I buy it.

Hmm making rather a big issue over something that tbh is a very small thing especially on the very long list of things to be done that BFC probably has, and considering they only have 2 programers to do all this you may have a long wait.

I hope your not becomming one of those if you don't change this feature ill never buy your product type.

Hmm making rather a big issue over something that tbh is a very small thing especially on the very long list of things to be done that BFC probably has, and considering they only have 2 programers to do all this you may have a long wait.

I really hope that BFC makes enough money to hire more people. For instance, as as been mentioned elsewhere, they really could do with a useability expert (among others).

Oh, and I recently bought the CMAK/CMBB combo as well as pre-ordered CMBN, so no threats from me.

This question has been answered long ago, by a native american, construction worker, cop, cowboy, biker and soldier

I guess someone had to acknowledge your wit: that's pretty darn funny.

I wonder if the reason no one noticed is because that movie was an infamous box-office bomb in the U.S (and for the very good reason that it's fricking horrible!). However, it was a huge hit in Australia. (We Yanks like to imagine Australians as all super-macho he-men like Crocodile Dundee or Russell Crowe, but the mere fact that very "fey" disco-musical was a smash-hit in the "land-down-under" really makes you wonder.)

• 3 weeks later...

If there isn't a switch to kill the music (yet...) can anyone point us at the file responsible so we can, um, fix it, ourselves. I find the music very intrusive too, and I haven't bought the full game yet.......

Tim

PS Oh, 'Search' is your friend. Found it. Apologies. And thanks. I'm off to buy the full game now....

I normally play with headphones and just drop them to my neck while the game is loading if I am tired of the music. I do kind of like it, but there are times when I have other things to listen too. If you normally play with speakers, is your PC conveniently placed to just pop in a headphone jack while loading? Maybe not the best solution, but quick and clean.

• 2 years later...