DEMO hangs when ENDing game

When I press END on the game's main menu, demo freezes (or hangs) and I have to escape the situation with ctrl-alt-del to "Task Manager" and from the 'Processes' tab I can see that CMBN demo is still on, but am unable to return to the game at this point, so I'm forced to "End Process" manually.

Any ideas, OR am wondering if this 'feature' (of mine) will exist on the finalized product?

Windows 7, 64-bit, Service Pack 1 installed

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black edition processor

8Gb RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5770 x2 (Crossfire)

The game was installed on a 64-bit hard-drive partition, not on the "C:\Program files(x86)" folder as suggested.

Hi Asmodeus,

yes, there appears to be a common problem here with Win7 x64 systems that we are investigating right now. It popped up briefly during testing but was considered solved, and we have to figure out why it cropped back in :)

I just experienced this. It appears as though the demo isn't switching to the "Buy Now" window. It's not really "hanging" the system with a hard lock where reboot is the only option. Just not going out of full screen mode without manual intervention.

Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and start Task Manager. Should take you back to the desktop where you will see the "Buy Now" window. Close that window and the demo application ends. Doesn't appear to be a need to force a close.

My specs for troubleshooting:

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (x64)

Asus G73 laptop

Radeon Mobility 5870 graphics card with latest drivers

Comparing to OP's specs, besides Windows 7 x64, maybe this is an ATI issue?

I just experienced this. It appears as though the demo isn't switching to the "Buy Now" window. It's not really "hanging" the system with a hard lock where reboot is the only option. Just not going out of full screen mode without manual intervention.

Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and start Task Manager. Should take you back to the desktop where you will see the "Buy Now" window. Close that window and the demo application ends. Doesn't appear to be a need to force a close.

Here to specify, THIS is what I'm experiencing also, just had a tad different words to use when I was describing the situation.

But PhoneyWar, have you checked the Processes-tab from Task Manager?

I ran a test, as you had described, closed the "Buy Now" window, everything SEEMS normal now, but the "CM Normandy Demo.exe *32" stays on the Processes tab. Also, still using up memory on the Memory (Private Working set) field and CPU field. So this is what I mean, "I'm forced to "End Process" here on the Processes tab.

When I press END on the game's main menu, demo freezes (or hangs) and I have to escape the situation with ctrl-alt-del to "Task Manager" and from the 'Processes' tab I can see that CMBN demo is still on, but am unable to return to the game at this point, so I'm forced to "End Process" manually.

Any ideas, OR am wondering if this 'feature' (of mine) will exist on the finalized product?

Windows 7, 64-bit, Service Pack 1 installed

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black edition processor

8Gb RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5770 x2 (Crossfire)

The game was installed on a 64-bit hard-drive partition, not on the "C:\Program files(x86)" folder as suggested.

Same issue here too.

Dell xps 420

Win7 ultimate x64

All patched up (latest ati drivers too)

ATI Radeon 6950

4GB ram

Intel Quad Core 2

Hangs on exit , process still running , have to task manager end process to continue. Not a big problem to be honest.

strange I have been testing the Demo and game on my rig which has win 7 x64/ati 4890 with no issues.

could you guys turn off your anti-virus and retry the demo?

also try it without the ATI compatibility fix in the Options. I don't use it and the game runs fine.

Same here. Definitely looks to be an ATI issue.

ATI HD6870, Win 7 Professional 64-bit

Running Microsoft Security Essentials for AV. No programs running in the background besides that...

It ain't going to stop me though as I have my handy ctrl-alt-del ;) That's computers and programming for you though. You work your butt off to make sure everything is smooth but there always seems to be one more glitch...

strange I have been testing the Demo and game on my rig which has win 7 x64/ati 4890 with no issues.

could you guys turn off your anti-virus and retry the demo?

also try it without the ATI compatibility fix in the Options. I don't use it and the game runs fine.

I tried turning the ATI option off, but then in the game, I could not select any buttons so couldn't see if it worked.

Also, for me the issue only happens when I start to play a game and then exit. If I just go into the menu and exit, no issue.

Mine keeps locking up when I use the alt function.

I don't know if it was a matter of timing or the alt function though. It seems to happen about the same time in to the game.

(Win7 - ATI card)

On one of the lockups I did get an error saying the color scheme was changed and it wasn't compatible with windows aero

OK, got home from work, and got the demo installed. I haven't had a chance to play any yet, but I did get it set up, and experimented a bit to see if any of the reported problems cropped up on my system. No problems at all so far.

I made sure to hit the options before running the setup .exe, and checked "run as administrator". From there, I let it install to the default folder, and it ran fine, no install glitches, hangups, or crashes.

Demo runs for me with all video settings on max, no hiccups, at 1920 x 1200 (desktop resolution). Looks great!

I quit out of the app at several stages up through gameplay, and had no hangup on quitting, all processes closed correctly, and the demo restarts just fine.

Basic System Specs:

Alienware Aurora w/ i7 920 quad-core (w/hyper threading turned on) overclocked to 3.2 Ghz

9Gb 3DR RAM

Win7 x64 Home Premium

Nvidia GTX260 (single)

Drivers and OS kept up to date with auto updates.

Hope this helps in tracking it down!