Brits?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First module should be a "commonwealth" module (And beware, the moment anyone mentions that name this thread is going to be pounced upon by people who argue vigorously against the name "commonwealth" to group the units of the first module) Anyway, it'll include Brits, SS and other bits and bobs from the commonwealth nations.

There are a multitude of threads going into this in some detail.

I'm obliged, sire. Any idea when it's coming?

WRG312

Sometime after:

CM:BN actually comes out.

The first patch for CM:BN comes out.

The final patch for CM:SF comes out.

At the moment your guess is as good as any one else's. :)

The gap between CM:SF and CM:USMC might be a fair indicator.

Well I prefer to think of it as the other three of the five beaches.

So much fuss to date over 40% of the frontage. :)

(steps back after lighting blue touchpaper and fastens his "anti flash" safety gear as anguished "Band of Brothers" [even had to borrow that from Henry V] fans stage their counter attack).

I'd like to see the ability to place units who may not have fought in France after D-Day into the game.... Line the Kiwi Division or Aussies up against the Germans.

Yes I know its would take away any 'historical relevance' but it is just a game and it would be fun for quick battles.

Just my 2 cents. Anyway can't wait to play the game in whatever form.!!!

I am very much looking forward to seeing the Brits in action again in WW2. I know there has been a very slow turn-around in modules for CMSF but there are grounds for being optimistic about a faster turn-around for the first module at least. The Marines took much longer than expected because the game engine required a lot of work to get working. I suppose the same goes for the Brit module too especially seeing as how their platoon mortars required some special coding to get working. (I know that's a bit lame :)) As for NATO, well, work was going on on three projects simultaneously and with only one programmer.

However, with the WW2 title, we have a whole different kettle of fish. There won't be any special coding required for the Commonwealth module beyond the coding required for the vehicles. I'd expect TO&Es to be the main hold-up. I wouldn't describe myself as an overly-optimistic individual, at least when it comes to making predictions about BFC releases, but I'd be surprised if the first module wasn't out by the end of the year, if not earlier.

For me, the thinking is... how long will it be before I get bored and want another game?

Given that CM:BN is brand new, I suspect most of us could last longer between the first module and the second than between the second and third. 9-12 months would be no problem for me.

I fear it will be a while before we see the Brits.

Even if the module doesn't require substantial coding of its own it will still be delayed by CMSF:NATO and Afghanistan patches and the undoubted CMBN patches. I hope we will see the pace of modules as it was once told to us, but it will not be any time soon. Though the extra codemonkey will no doubt help BFC pick up the pace.

myself, I cant wait untill the brits is out! :)

damn the americans, let them have their war on their side of Normandy! I want the british! most of my time in CMBN will be doing scenarios to learn how to make a campaign for the british forces :)

And im looking forward to the "leftover" module where I hope churchill flamethrower and petard versions comes to to complement my british forces!

However, with the WW2 title, we have a whole different kettle of fish. There won't be any special coding required for the Commonwealth module beyond the coding required for the vehicles. I'd expect TO&Es to be the main hold-up. I wouldn't describe myself as an overly-optimistic individual, at least when it comes to making predictions about BFC releases, but I'd be surprised if the first module wasn't out by the end of the year, if not earlier.

The one big potential hold-up I can see is if they try to add flamethrower weapons and fire as an engine improvement with the Commonwealth module.

It would be nice to have Crocs and Wasps as they're pretty iconic weapons. Then again, I'm not sure I want to wait an extra 2-3 months for the module if that's how much work it takes to code the functionality.

Another possible tactic, I suppose, would be to release the CW module without flame weapons, but continue to work on the coding with adding them in with the planned final "bits and pieces" module.

There is, potentialy, a lot of content to be included in the 'Commomwealth module'

Aside from the obvious British and Canadian (and Polish and Free French?) ToEs and all the new vehicles associated with that, there are the additionally required German vehicles and weapons, the ToEs for the SS and FJ troops, and maps and scenarios for to cover all of the above conflicts (inc St Lo, Caretan etc not to mention all the British and Canadian battles)

And that is without looking at any new features, such as fire and flame weapons.

Could be a while!

I'm guessing many of the models for the next module are already done... There were many code enhancements made between the releases of CMSF, Marines, and Brits that I think will not be part of the CMBN module development cycle. Of course all of my opinions are pure speculation based on tidbits of infomation posted by Steve in the past.

I would like to see another "the road ahead" thread, once things have settled down, to have a little insight into how the development process has deviated from their original plans and what their new goals are. But I'm not holding my breath...

Does a Market Garden module mean that no Brit Airborne will be introduced until this module? No module needs a previous module to play, so it will have to offer something that's not in any previous module while not requiring any previous one to play. This will mean no SS either I imagine? Of course it could be a building/terrain module I suppose?

Sweet lord above :) Frost will link up with Urqhuart and 30 Corps will cross Arnhem bridge OMG will be a success. Although we will be 67 years too late.

As long as XXX Corps doesn't run into 88s by the side of the road blowing their leads tanks to kingdom come. That would simply turn it into a re-run.