Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy Video AAR 3, Turn Based/WeGo

I wouldn't consider my computer to be too good.

I have an AMD Phenom 955, 4 gigs of ram, windows 7, and a nvidia geforce gtx 260.

One thing that allows me to really get smooth FRAPS FPS is to use multiple hard-drives, no one hard-drive is writing the same data. I have a windows SSD, the game on another drive and fraps writing to another drive.

Ohh OK, that could make a big difference I guess. I'm excited as it seems to run great for you and I have a better rig than that! Though I am not using multiple hard drives. You know I also wondered how big those videos must be raw recorded using FRAPS, they must be huge! It makes sense to me now that you would record them to a dedicated hard drive ;)

Thank you for the response, and thank you for the great game battlefront!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody but me think the balance of the scenario is a bit off? I mean, tyrspawn is kind of playing a la-de-da style here as he states several times during the video (no offense, tyrspawn!) - he is giving RT-style orders, not noticing his reinforcements coming in, not worrying about casualties much, he leaves his halftracks and their firepower in the setup area basically, etc....

Yet except for the (badly timed) appearance of the M10's at the end, the battle is a complete walkover, it seems. My guess is it could have been more or less won with mortars and the howitzer alone if tyrspawn had just emptied them on the village and other suspected enemy positions.

Don't know whether this is the final version of this scenario, but the way it was certainly seemed not to be very challenging to me.

Thoughts?

Does anybody but me think the balance of the scenario is a bit off? I mean, tyrspawn is kind of playing a la-de-da style here as he states several times during the video (no offense, tyrspawn!) - he is giving RT-style orders, not noticing his reinforcements coming in, not worrying about casualties much, he leaves his halftracks and their firepower in the setup area basically, etc....

Yet except for the (badly timed) appearance of the M10's at the end, the battle is a complete walkover, it seems. My guess is it could have been more or less won with mortars and the howitzer alone if tyrspawn had just emptied them on the village and other suspected enemy positions.

Don't know whether this is the final version of this scenario, but the way it was certainly seemed not to be very challenging to me.

Thoughts?

The infantry forces themselves seemed not too unevenly matched but until those very late M10s showed up, all the Americans had to do any damage to three Panthers was a few bazookas and one or two AT guns. :D Remove the Panthers and I call it evenly matched.

...he leaves his halftracks and their firepower in the setup area basically, etc....

That sounded like the best thing to do with them, especially with combat range that close! Tyrspawn did an excellent bit of generalship on the fly. One assumes the Germans were supposed to have rolled blythly into town and got their fannies kicked in the close-in house-to-house fighting. Instead he started the game by simply levelling the houses. Brutal but effective.

This was the scenario we played at the Sydney preview. The Germans also won it that time with very little trouble so am thinking it's been designed that way. Bit of reversal of fortunes as far as which side usually has the greater resources in the Normandy setting. Very challenging for the US player.

-F

As so many others have noted, it' s great to be back. Quite excited to be tossed out by the missus, etc.

When it comes to system specs - Is the new engine better served by a fast CPU (I seem to recall that multi-threading isn't in play) or by a heavy-duty video card? By this I mean, smooth video playback during WEGO battles.

Any comments on whether comparable NVidia or ATI (sorry, AMD) GPU's seem to render the battlefield better? Or whether having 1 GB vs. 512 MB of video memory effects frame rates? In the past, it seems that ATI was significantly behind NVidia in their OpenGL performance... is this still the case?

Just trying to get my kit sorted...

Sorry, I just reread your post:

In the past, it seems that ATI was significantly behind NVidia in their OpenGL performance... is this still the case?

I have a Radeon 5770 card and have had no problems with it. I did some google research and I found the quote here:

Emperus 07-17-2010 at 07:59:22 AM

Historically, ATI cards have been weak performers when it comes to OpenGL.. However, the current generation of cards (starting from the HD4000 series) have remedied most of the issues.. Doom3, counter strike, call of duty series, commandos are few very popular OpenGL based game and each one of them performs flawlessly on my 4870.

ATI has recently released the HD 6990 which, I understand, is stupidly fast.

...and stupidly loud too by all accounts!

There are pros and cons for both NVIDIA and ATI/AMD for general gaming, and CMSF has certainly had issues with both during its 4 years (4 years already? Really?). Currently, as far as I'm aware, both are playing CMSF without issues right now, so I assume the same is true for CMBN.

On an entirely personal note having had both sets of cards over these 4 years, I've preferred the way that CMSF looks when I'm running with NVIDIA.

Graphics power wise, it depends a lot on what resolution you want to run the game in. There's not much point having 2 1Gb cards in SLi or CrossFire if your monitor tops out at 1280 * 1024. It seems tyrspawn is using an NVIDIA GTX 260 to play and create these great VAARs, and these cards are a couple of years old.

As CMSF (and therefore I presume CMBN) do not currently use more than one core, the speed of your cpu is currently more important than the number of cores (dual, quad and whatever they call the AMD one with six!), so faster is generally better here (for this game at least). Quality over quantity and all that. CMSF is generally pretty cpu intensive as it's running a lot of calculations for LOS and LOF and tracking each projectile - I'd guess you would say CMSF benefits more from a speedier cpu than a beefy gpu. But a decent gpu will enable you to crank the model and terrain details nice a high, so it'll look more purdy! Oh, and don't forget a decent amount of system RAM too.

Still, as I have yet to get CMBN in my hands, the above is all my assumptions based on my experience with CMSF. Your mileage may vary as they say.

Apologies, I could have been more forthcoming in my post...

I currently run 1920x1080 via HDMI from a ATI 5770 1 GB. My CPU is a PhenomII 965 BE - it runs stock at 3.4 GHz - but I could invest in a better heat sink and get 3.8 - 3.9 no trouble. Sounds like a good move for CM:BN. The rest is standard fare - Win 7 Pro, 4 gigs memory (had 8 but my accursed Asus mobo fried a pair), etc.

It would be much cheaper for me to purchase a 2nd 5770 and run CM:BN in CrossFire (yes, mobo supports it) - do any of you CM:SF jockeys run SLI or X-fire? I have played around with the newest CM:SF demo, and it's pretty smooth, though they aren't huge maps...

Congrats to BF for using OpenGL this time around - that DirectX-driver bullocks with CMx1 was annoying as hell (for you guys as well as the players.)

Wow! I think you'll be just fine with that rig mate! Sorry, I assumed you were building from scratch.

I've not had any experience with CMSF running in Xfire or SLI (currently running 1 GTX570, which is more than adequate with all the bells and whistles on), anyone care to chip in?

I have a ATI 5770. Shock Force runs fine on at 1080p with the details on high. I am not sure about the frame rate: it doesn't look like 60 Hz but I find it acceptable.

I think the prudent thing to do is to wait until the game is released and see how it runs. However, from your posts (and given the force runs strong in my family) I predict three things. You are going to buy a second 5770 anyway, you won't be sorry you did and if you wait, you'll wish you had done it sooner.

Here's a short video of a Panther being pulled out of the garage near San Francisco - I had a laugh with all the complaints about the 'pimp-mobile suspension' we've been seeing in tyrspawn's VAARs. These guys surely aren't the best drivers in the world but seeing the Panther lurch around probably validates the CMBN modeling to some measure

I'm thinking about doing the tour of this 'Military Vehicle Technology Foundation' facility in the next few weeks - I just came across it by accident. It's just outside SF

http://www.mvtf.org/

Thanks for your feedback - good to hear, Ranger33, as I vaguely recall that CM:SF did not initially support SLI or X-fire configs.

User38 - we'll see, young Jedi. At my age w/two small kids in the roost, there isn't much game time. CM:BN will be my only late-night distraction, so if X-fire wasn't supported, I wouldn't bother with a 2nd 5770 card...

Another excellent appetizer, thank Chris!

While watching the vid, i noticed two instances where i didn't really understand the soundcontact questionmarks onscreen.

This moment at aprox 30:33

(did someone in the platoon fart and now they are wondering who it was?):

Contact1.jpg

And then this one where Jerry suspects the Americans to tunnel underneath the road. Time stamp aprox 58:26.

Contact2.jpg

Can anyone elaborate on how the sound contact system works? I'm sure my men will be getting very paranoid if they capture an enemy, pass him, turn their heads and then wonder what that sound is 1 meter behind them...

Those are poltergeist. It is the new surprise Tyrspawn referred to. Just because your pixeltruppen died, there is no reason they can't continue to have an impact in the game. In the TOE you will find a new unit, Papal Exorcism team. Didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition did ya?

I think i'm done making videos (it's a very time consuming process), the game is coming out soon, as well as another surprise ;)

Bummer, the next couple weeks are gonna drag slowly, but thanks again for all the effort. It is very highly appreciated.

Great now you add a new surprise to our angst. Oh you cruel cruel man.

Ohh OK, that could make a big difference I guess. I'm excited as it seems to run great for you and I have a better rig than that! Though I am not using multiple hard drives. You know I also wondered how big those videos must be raw recorded using FRAPS, they must be huge! It makes sense to me now that you would record them to a dedicated hard drive ;)

Thank you for the response, and thank you for the great game battlefront!

The raw footage is usually around 300 gigs, the encoded vids are 4.5-6 gigs.