Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy Video AAR 3, Turn Based/WeGo

Attaching an urban center with mechanized forces/vehicles is about the most stupid thing you can do tactically speaking.

Nobody said anything about driving them downtown. And obviously nobody is going to suggest putting them in a vulnerable position when you know the enemy has guns covering the area. But if there's the possibility of using them with minimal risk, then by all means put those MGs to use!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just saw the vid and WOW, the game looks pretty exciting already...

I played cm years ago and am looking forward to this with great enthusiasm

BUT I did not get any ofthe cm2 games post ww2 timeframe

fyi

great work guys

now lets get a release date! lol

Attaching an urban center with mechanized forces/vehicles is about the most stupid thing you can do tactically speaking.

Well, in real life that is mostly true. But then again, whenever I played CMSF quick battles and got handed a bunch of light AFVs, like LAVs, Strykers and such, with no infantry support to be found, I would just area fire into the closest row of buildings until demolished. Then the next row. Then the next. Granted, I was usually fairly low on HE by the time I got to the city center, but usually whoever I was attacking would start to fire back, then get hosed by 3-4 LAVs in line abreast formation. I would then hold the center of town, and usually by the last 3-5 minutes of the quick battle, whoever was left on the red side would charge toward the objective, and promptly get mowed down.

Not exactly(or even remotely) realistic, and not a tactic I would use in something like LLF's Ramadi map or anything similarly dense. But it CAN be done successfully.

It was awesome to see the Pioneers blow holes in the bocage. I'm curious, can they blow a hole big enough for a tank?

On page 43 of the now posted CM:BN Game Manual, it says under 'BREACHING BOCAGE,' "At least 2 demolition charges are required to breach a hole large enough for a vehicle to pass through (bocage is tough stuff!). The best way to ensure a large enough breach is to order two consecutive Blast commands, the first Blast command across the far side of the bocage, and the second Blast command returning to the start point."

Here's to us all quickly mastering the art of fighting in the Normandy bocage country!

À bientôt!!

On page 43 of the now posted CM:BN Game Manual, it says under 'BREACHING BOCAGE,' "At least 2 demolition charges are required to breach a hole large enough for a vehicle to pass through (bocage is tough stuff!). The best way to ensure a large enough breach is to order two consecutive Blast commands, the first Blast command across the far side of the bocage, and the second Blast command returning to the start point."

Here's to us all quickly mastering the art of fighting in the Normandy bocage country!

À bientôt!!

Hmmm...I would hope one would be able to do like in CMSF where the player could split his squad so that each team would have their own set of explosives for the two of them. That is, assuming there are enough for two separate teams.

I have a scenario queston slash concern. Did the US M-10s actually arrive close to the end of the fight, or were they sitting back on the objective exit road for minutes on end doing nothing while the Panthers chewed through the center of town? Because the second seems entirely possible, and a potential AI script or behavior issue.

Also, I'd like to ask the original player how the end scenes of tanks practically touching each other game about, tactically. I'd think one or the other would get killed before colliding like that. I realize there was smoke from destroyed vehicles and such, but it still seems a bit extreme. How long were they like that before one or the other got killed?

heh, speaking of mortars. i remember a vietnam vet telling me that mortars would get so hot you could see through em. somehow i doubt that will be modeled in game though. :-p

Doubt no more :D

Sustained fire eventually slows down RoF. The reason is crews get tired, barrels get hot, ready supply of ammo is used up, etc.

Steve