Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy Video AAR 3, Turn Based/WeGo

It is an effect of relative spotting and the C3 rules. I found it took some getting used to in CMSF (which had no sound contacts).

When a unit is selected the enemy contacts that unit knows about are displayed. These may well include question marks for old/possible contacts reported to it via the chain of command (sometimes even if another unit has subsequently destroyed that enemy unit).

Select another unit or none and the contacts displayed will be different and the question marks may well disappear.

The system actually works very well, but as I say, it does take some gettng used to. My best advice is not to worry about it at the moment, once you play the game for a while all will become clear.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Can you turn on / off the phosphorescent terrain

Alt + J does the objectives I think, at least that's how it works in SF, no reason for it to change. I always turn them off even and then flick them back on to check where I'm meant to be attacking.

Aha. Now there's something you don't see in CoH ;). I never thought about sound contact per unit...that's a great piece of realism to take into account.

Thanks for the reply!

It's not just sound contacts - the same markers indicate where an enemy unit was last spotted that is now out of LoS. So a unit might have been seen where the marker is (or it might indeed have been a sound contact) that has since moved elsewhere without being seen (or been wiped out without being seen).

Fresh sounds contacts / recently disappeared units are shown with solid question marks. The marker fades and becomes more transparent over time as the information becomes more obsolete.

There is a further complication to do with relative spotting; an enemy unit that unit A can see might be a '?' in a different location as far as unit B is concerned.

Another excellent appetizer, thank Chris!

While watching the vid, i noticed two instances where i didn't really understand the soundcontact questionmarks onscreen.

This moment at aprox 30:33

(did someone in the platoon fart and now they are wondering who it was?):

Contact1.jpg

And then this one where Jerry suspects the Americans to tunnel underneath the road. Time stamp aprox 58:26.

Contact2.jpg

Can anyone elaborate on how the sound contact system works? I'm sure my men will be getting very paranoid if they capture an enemy, pass him, turn their heads and then wonder what that sound is 1 meter behind them...

Both pictures are more than likely prior contact reports passed on to the selected units. The unit selected has yet to have visual confirmation of the report [The "contact report" being the (?)] due to a lack of quality LOS because of smoke or dust.

Sometimes the (?) is a vehicle that has been knocked out or dead enemies which LOS has been lost to as well.

Hi, long time absentee here, player of all the original CM games and delighted to see the new edition, which looks fantastic!

On watching the videos(which btw are absolutely great, well done and thanks), I noticed that when squads of Infantry are attacking they seem to group really close together, instead of spreading out a little more, especially when they have gone to ground and are returning fire. One grenade or mortar round could cause many more casualties than if they were spread out a little. Is there an option to select formations? Thanks.

Hi, long time absentee here, player of all the original CM games and delighted to see the new edition, which looks fantastic!

On watching the videos(which btw are absolutely great, well done and thanks), I noticed that when squads of Infantry are attacking they seem to group really close together, instead of spreading out a little more, especially when they have gone to ground and are returning fire. One grenade or mortar round could cause many more casualties than if they were spread out a little. Is there an option to select formations? Thanks.

There is no option to select the formation of a squad. The effects of HE is reduced to compensate for this bunching up tendency.

Outstanding video, nice to see it all happening in WeGo, thanks a lot.

My only gripe ( personal opinion and I know it's been mentioned before ) is that the tank-rocking IS too much - look at the video approx. 7:12 - that right hand Panther looks like a rocking horse !

OTOH, watching the suspension deform as the Panther crossed shellholes is really well done.

Something that has been mentioned many times with CMSF...you can split squads....however I wouldn't worry about it to much..it's no game killer...Infact as someone mentioned it's not as bad with WW2 as it it is with modern due to the tactics used...

IMHO, HE should be un-nerfed for CMBN, since bunching up is more natural among WWII infantry than modern (Western) troops... green troops, not as much training, restricted visibility (sense of "bad guys all around"). To counter it, split the squads or use the ASSAULT command when moving (assuming it's available).

I would be happy if we could tone down tracers a bit. The laser like appearance was acceptable in CMSF but now they look a bit too much imo. I know its a gameplay aid but still..Otherwise superb video once more.

I totally have to agree.

Please tone down the tracers, it looks like Star Wars in some situations.

Are they moddable?

They are in CMSF, so I am sure they will be.

Edit to add that in CMSF there was only one tracer file to change, so unfortunately you couldn't have different coloured tracers for each side, and that looks like it still holds true. But there were mods that altered the brightness and so toned the effect down considerably.

i got the bug, so i installed cmbb to give me something to play while we wait for the end of civilization as we know it(yes i believe cmbn could have that big of an impact. anyway...). having gotten used to the cmsf interface, my first reaction was dear lord, how do i do anything?! hell i couldn't even figure out how call in artillery. turns out your fo's can't be hiding. needless to say, it's been awhile since i played cmbb and in comparison the new interface is much better. definitely looking forward to it!

Chris is using a super heavy duty rig. It has to be in order to handle both the game and FRAPs (video capture). So whatever he's using is overkill for just playing the game.

Steve

I wouldn't consider my computer to be too good.

I have an AMD Phenom 955, 4 gigs of ram, windows 7, and a nvidia geforce gtx 260.

One thing that allows me to really get smooth FRAPS FPS is to use multiple hard-drives, no one hard-drive is writing the same data. I have a windows SSD, the game on another drive and fraps writing to another drive.

I wouldn't consider my computer to be too good.

I have an AMD Phenom 955, 4 gigs of ram, windows 7, and a nvidia geforce gtx 260.

One thing that allows me to really get smooth FRAPS FPS is to use multiple hard-drives, no one hard-drive is writing the same data. I have a windows SSD, the game on another drive and fraps writing to another drive.

Tyr and Moon....this is your take on these happenings:

Let's discuss what kind of vidcard has been used while recording the beta AAR vids. Hmm...4 gigs...yeah....ok...windows 7? Right..ok.....Geforce 260 yes, maybe we can add a few fps when we...

This is the take the rest of us have:

An axe wielding Jack Nicholson coming through your bathroom door, shouting: "Heeeeere's Normandy".

Waking up in a sweat from a nightmare where the full BF crew stands around your bed...dressed as pinhead grinning: "WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU".

WE CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!

GIEF!

:D

I think i'm done making videos (it's a very time consuming process), the game is coming out soon, as well as another surprise ;)

Oh you tease. Well, I guess you and the other beta-testers are entitled to a little fun, poking us on the forums and watching us run around some more ;)

Cheers