Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy Video AAR 3, Turn Based/WeGo

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a short video of a Panther being pulled out of the garage near San Francisco - I had a laugh with all the complaints about the 'pimp-mobile suspension' we've been seeing in tyrspawn's VAARs. These guys surely aren't the best drivers in the world but seeing the Panther lurch around probably validates the CMBN modeling to some measure

Lovely video. The team must have felt very good at that moment :)

Similarly this one

of a JPanther shows it bouncing about quite a bit when it stops and starts.

I think I'm done making videos (it's a very time consuming process), the game is coming out soon, as well as another surprise ;)

"For future modules of Combat Mission, additional multi player features (i.e. more than 2 players) are already in the works, including co-op play (i.e. several players can join the same side and re-enact a real chain of command)."

page 43 CM:A manual.

Now that would be a nice surprise!!;)

"For future modules of Combat Mission, additional multi player features (i.e. more than 2 players) are already in the works, including co-op play (i.e. several players can join the same side and re-enact a real chain of command)."

page 43 CM:A manual.

Now that would be a nice surprise!!;)

I just read the CM:SF manual (demo) for the first time last week and noticed that same text. Sure would be nice to have, but some of the things said in the forum over the last month of waiting make me think that's not the surprise.

Here's a short video of a Panther being pulled out of the garage near San Francisco.

Wow, take my word for it, its frightening how close that looks to the Panthers in the game. For a second I found myself staring at the turret side wondering how the artist managed to get the zimmerit looking like that. :D;)

I just read the CM:SF manual (demo) for the first time last week and noticed that same text. Sure would be nice to have, but some of the things said in the forum over the last month of waiting make me think that's not the surprise.

I had that same feeling, but can't actually remember the post that caused it.

They've been working on this aspect of the game for awhile now, or imply so. I can't think of a better time to spring this "surprise" than with the release of CM:BN. They've come complete circle and are now ready to launch their first dream with the new engine. Pretty exciting stuff.

Keep up the good work BF, and it is almost to much to take in with a surprise on top of CM:BN. :)

RT on line is a "rush". Only tried it a couple times with the old CM series. I can't imagine what it would be like now with all the extra units to command.

Having teams playing against each other was fun, even if keeping track of the files was a hassle.

Probably will be back to QB's for me, at least till I get out of boot camp.:)

Today 02:01 PM

LongLeftFlank CoPlay would DEFINITELY get me into online play. I can't imagine playing a human in RT with no pauses while trying to manage anything more than a dozen units. I am just awful at "twitch" stuff.

what about the game on-line? Could someone in Battlefront give us more information about play on-line? Thanks!

panther vid is sweet, tis me favourite axis vehicle..

did anyone notice how the panthers were "stuttering" in the video of CBMN? near when they were both moving up on the small road?

is this a bug?

No, that wasn't a bug that was Tyrespawn setting their move waypoints awkwardly so they were both trying to carry out his orders but it was jerky because of the cramped space.

No, that wasn't a bug that was Tyrespawn setting their move way points awkwardly so they were both trying to carry out his orders but it was jerky because of the cramped space.

Hopefully with the smaller action spots it will be easier to move without getting into each others space. I remember in CMx1 how if you weren't careful in plotting your tanks move and got to close to an obstacle it would re-plot and usually do something like turn its rear towards the enemy position. Will have to learn the limitations of the new engine and adjust accordingly. On the job drivers training. :)

No, that wasn't a bug that was Tyrespawn setting their move waypoints awkwardly so they were both trying to carry out his orders but it was jerky because of the cramped space.
I have to disagree that the movement points were "awkward", and the space wasn't really all that cramped. There was easily and entire vehicle's worth of space between the two tanks. In fact, when the orders began neither of the two vehicles was even on the road. Almost immediately upon moving, the right Panther starts doing the go-stop-go dance, as does the halftrack behind and to the left. There's about 20 meters of space between these vehicles, and the Panther is well enough ahead of the halftrack that the latter shouldn't cause concern to the former.

I could buy the excuse of "awkward move orders" or "cramped space" if the vehicles were three wide, or if one vehicle was physically blocking the other, but neither of these is the case. If this isn't a bug, it's poor AI behavior. I sincerely hope (and believe) BFC will have addressed the issue before release.

It looked to me that all vehicles involved chose the "best/fastest" route... which was the road.

In CM1 your units would attempt to obey exact move orders, allowing what Tyr was attempting.

But, it looks like the new TacAI is more aggresive in carrying out orders in a timely manner. Hence the case of "after you, no after you" we saw was an unintended consequence of the AI trying to help.

Just because they 'could' drive off-road, as long as the road was right there, they chose it.

The solution is hopefully we get pause orders to add that 5 seconds and stagger the baby elephant walk.

EDIT - I bet it is a function of the FAST command. If it was Hunt or Move they probably would have stayed off-road and on the commanded tracks. FAST means just that ... get your butts there pronto. The road is faster than the side of the road, but the units nearby do not take precedence over the FAST command until they are too close.

-

Hi to all, I don't want to be mean, especially for a first post in this forum I am following for quite some time now. Don't get me wrong I love what I see and read and there is a very positive feeling in all the comments here.

So now for the comments:

1- The name of the town is "Le Dezert", not "Le Desert", (if you want it with accent: "Le Dézert"). Not a big deal as you see.

2- I don't have picture of how the place was in 1944, but I have one from today, and it was probably quite the same in 1944. But obviously it was MUCH bigger than this small map.

http://www.cartesfrance.fr/carte-france-ville/photos_50161_Le%20Dezert.html

I read SO many people whining about realism, how many screws in the left wheel; would the radio react in 10 seconds or 20, what about the armor slope modelling or I don't now what else.

For my part, I request just one thing for realism: give us BIG MAPS!! This one is ridiculously small, the final picture of the Sherman and the Panther nose to nose shows it quite well.

If you want realistic Panther vs Sherman results (probably way more unbalanced in RL), realistic infantry casulaty rates (way lower in RL), longer battles (much longer in RL), just give us realistically designed maps, i.e. bigger ones.

If I want an arcade game, I don't play CM. If you want to give us a realistic "simulation", give us real situation. I can just imagine what would be a BF re-creation of the battle of Carentan with two companies defending a hamlet. I hope I am wrong about this feeling.

It looked to me that all vehicles involved chose the "best/fastest" route... which was the road.

In CM1 your units would attempt to obey exact move orders, allowing what Tyr was attempting.

But, it looks like the new TacAI is more aggressive in carrying out orders in a timely manner. Hence the case of "after you, no after you" we saw was an unintended consequence of the AI trying to help.

Just because they 'could' drive off-road, as long as the road was right there, they chose it.

The solution is hopefully we get pause orders to add that 5 seconds and stagger the baby elephant walk.

EDIT - I bet it is a function of the FAST command. If it was Hunt or Move they probably would have stayed off-road and on the commanded tracks. FAST means just that ... get your butts there pronto. The road is faster than the side of the road, but the units nearby do not take precedence over the FAST command until they are too close.

-

You are probably right about the TacAI doing something on its own, but we won't know for sure how to address the behavior until we can play the game. It will be part of the learning curve and until one learns what the TacAI is likely to do and how to "work around" the behavior. :)

Say Chris said I think (There were lots of explosions) that the Pioneer Halftrack with the bridging equipment will not be available in release? Is that correct and why? Anyone know?

I thought it was cool to see a completely authentic looking Sd.Kfz. 251/7 "Pionierpanzerwagen" It would be a real shame if engineering halftracks looked like regular sdkfz. 251/1.

I was hoping to see more of a variety in this new release of CM Normandy. :)

Here's a short video of a Panther being pulled out of the garage near San Francisco - I had a laugh with all the complaints about the 'pimp-mobile suspension' we've been seeing in tyrspawn's VAARs. These guys surely aren't the best drivers in the world but seeing the Panther lurch around probably validates the CMBN modeling to some measure

Rocking while moving,

rocking while firing,

So now for the comments:

1- The name of the town is "Le Dezert", not "Le Desert", (if you want it with accent: "Le Dézert"). Not a big deal as you see.

2- I don't have picture of how the place was in 1944, but I have one from today, and it was probably quite the same in 1944. But obviously it was MUCH bigger than this small map.

Oh ... so you know for a fact that le Desert and le Dezert are the same place?