Definition of a Steiner?

I'm currently reading Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer and on two occasions he makes reference to officers stepping out of steiners. Google was no great help. Does anyone know what type of vehicle he was referring to?

Thanks

From reading it, I assumed it was a particular model of staff car?

I'm currently reading Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer and on two occasions he makes reference to officers stepping out of steiners. Google was no great help. Does anyone know what type of vehicle he was referring to?

Thanks

I have never heard of a "Steiner" vehicle. could it be a nickname for studabakers?

Between Opel, Horsch, Mann, Busenag, Mercedes, Krupp Protze, captured Fords, and Steyr.

So my guess is he would be referring to a Steyer, calling it a Steiner possibly, its also possible the Author has it wrong.

Thanks

It's like a makeshift mobile HQ. A truck with "box" on the back. Might have a cot and small desk inside with radio equipment, ect.

Maybe he means Steyr, which was an Austrian car manufacturer until the war?

This is a Steyr 1500 staff car. It would seem logical that the author just has gotten mixed with them funny names.

steyr1500A_e.jpg

Edit to add that here's a nice page about the Steyr cars used by Wehrmacht, in German but with lots of photos.

It's not a Steyr 1500 he is talking about. Read it again.

It's either a Horch of some sort, or a Sd.Kfz 250 (I seem to remember it was a HT at one point in the book).

The book is filled with weird names and descriptions. I think it's because it has been translated and revised many times over, and originally written for the French public (they wouldn't know that much about Sd.Kfz's or armament). In my Norwegian edition the historian that had been tasked with describing and editing some of the facts about armament and AOPs still managed to overlook the fact that the 88mm FlaK wasn't an automatic "machine cannon".

Just dig into Sven Hazel books. They are truly bizzare, and many believe they are the real deal too.

If you want a good read, check out "Tuntematon Sotilas" (the unknown soldier) by Väinö Linna.

If you want a good read, check out "Tuntematon Sotilas" (the unknown soldier) by Väinö Linna.

And check movie version(s) of it, i favor colored version, but black and white is usually liked more.

Was selected to be official training movie for Italian Army back in 50s or 60s. I believe it was used for officer training :cool:

I have a possible answer.

Car Light4x2 Kfz 2

Based on a Hanomag Garant with a large rear locker for signals equipment. Known as Kleiner Fernsprechkraftwagen. It also existed on other chassis

Car Light 4x4 Stoewer R200 Spezial

Around 13000 built but had 4 variants including a Kfz2 Signals body. Some of this class were actually built on BMW chassis

My proposal is that the author part remembered the name, or the troops just ran Stoewer and Kleiner together.

I have a possible answer.

Car Light4x2 Kfz 2

Based on a Hanomag Garant with a large rear locker for signals equipment. Known as Kleiner Fernsprechkraftwagen. It also existed on other chassis

Car Light 4x4 Stoewer R200 Spezial

Around 13000 built but had 4 variants including a Kfz2 Signals body. Some of this class were actually built on BMW chassis

My proposal is that the author part remembered the name, or the troops just ran Stoewer and Kleiner together.

That sounds very likely! They fit the description of a "jeep like vehicle".