Definition of a Steiner?

I'm currently reading Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer and on two occasions he makes reference to officers stepping out of steiners.

Okay, I have to word this carefully...

I have the book and thought it was good read. However I have also read (on the net mind you) that there are concerns "out there" that the book itself could be in fact largely fiction and does not represent a coherent series of events. I can't remember specific evidence for such a theory, although I do recall that a multitude of small inaccuracies (this "Steiner" is an example perhaps?) is one of the things people point to.

I don't know either way. Does anyone have a better understanding of the arguments involved?

This was discussed quite a few times in the CMBB forum. To make a long story short, the jury is still out and won't be coming back in near future. My personal opinion is that the book is mostly fiction.

As for Väinö Linna's The Unknown Soldier, it's unfortunate that the English translation is a bastardized version of the original. The story has it that it's US publisher didn't like its tone and hired a couple of Hollywood scriptwriter to sex it up.

Okay, I have to word this carefully...

I have the book and thought it was good read. However I have also read (on the net mind you) that there are concerns "out there" that the book itself could be in fact largely fiction and does not represent a coherent series of events. I can't remember specific evidence for such a theory, although I do recall that a multitude of small inaccuracies (this "Steiner" is an example perhaps?) is one of the things people point to.

I read about the controversial nature of the book online too. No accurate dates or locations and ones that were cited are wrong. He certainly could be embellishing his role or just stringing together other ppls anecdotes ala Sven Hassel. I'll read it with a grain of salt but I like the tone, realistic descriptions of german army discipline, tyranny at home and atrocious conditions on the Eastern Front.

This was discussed quite a few times in the CMBB forum. To make a long story short, the jury is still out and won't be coming back in near future. My personal opinion is that the book is mostly fiction.

As for Väinö Linna's The Unknown Soldier, it's unfortunate that the English translation is a bastardized version of the original. The story has it that it's US publisher didn't like its tone and hired a couple of Hollywood scriptwriter to sex it up.

My copy is a dual Finish/Norwegian copy from the early 70's.

I loved that book after the first few pages.

Well, I liked the old movie from the fifties. But it seems dated, and doesn't follow the book that well. I really liked two things: Rokka was portrayed better in that one, and the effects were cool, at least for the time (satchel charges, anyone?).

The newest one (1985?) took it too far. Rokka is an old man, not a man in his early thirties.

Oh, and I really liked the Panzer IV in the old one. :P