New 4 April "Road to..." Screenies

Am I the first to notice these, or are we getting jaded around here?

Great job Battlefront -- the Norman countryside and "flavor" objects really come through well here, as well as the weather effects.

no just had to run for towels to clean up the mess... no, not that! from drooling.

I must admit some of those shots were very nice. I especially liked the one that showed the Long road and the Bocage with the 2 or 3 huge fields. Gives you the empression of Normandy no doubt. Could imagine what it would have been like during that time...with Shermans and such strolling up those skinny roads only to be met with AT guns or hidden Panzers!

Say Battlefront when can we see more screen shots of the Soldiers and their different uniforms etc.

Outstanding job BF!

I really love the new shots too. The few pics of a German SP gun in waist high grass is just awesome. Ditto for the American soldiers running behind a hedgerow.

It's a shame that the power/telephone poles don't have any wires strung between them, though. They look sorta empty and incomplete just standing there.

I really love the new shots too. The few pics of a German SP gun in waist high grass is just awesome. Ditto for the American soldiers running behind a hedgerow.

It's a shame that the power/telephone poles don't have any wires strung between them, though. They look sorta empty and incomplete just standing there.

We'll pretend the wires used to be there, but they got shot down, and then the local civilians scavenged the rest for scrap.

They're absolutely incredible! I love #14, although the rain looks very artificial ... I'm really, really excited for this now :)

Err its a computer program i can't see how it can't be anything but artificail :) unless charles has developed a way of us feeling the effects as well (Might explain why we have waited so long for release)

Err its a computer program i can't see how it can't be anything but artificail :) unless charles has developed a way of us feeling the effects as well (Might explain why we have waited so long for release)

No I mean it "looks" artificial, could use a bit of downward motion blur on the textre, and be a lot more indistinct. For example: http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs4/i/2004/238/0/7/Rain.jpg Unless you have a ludicrously high shutter speed the rain will appear blurred. At the moment it has the rough shape of blurred rain (so that it's a streak) but it has real "blurring", it's like a solid rod of ice falling from the sky, I'd be worried about being impaled :D

No I mean it "looks" artificial, could use a bit of downward motion blur on the textre, and be a lot more indistinct. For example: http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs4/i/2004/238/0/7/Rain.jpg Unless you have a ludicrously high shutter speed the rain will appear blurred. At the moment it has the rough shape of blurred rain (so that it's a streak) but it has real "blurring", it's like a solid rod of ice falling from the sky, I'd be worried about being impaled :D

I'd guess that it probably looks perfectly fine when in motion, but a still screenshot gives rise to a "look" that your eyes are never going to see.

The same issue arose in the IL2 Cliffs of Dover forum with Development shots of planes on fire - people moaned about the look of the fire without taking into account the still nature of the screenshot which necessarily robs the pic of all the coding goodness that makes flames look real.

The problem with effects like that is they are usually a lot more pronounced when in motion than on a still. If you look at real rain it's certainly noticeable, take a photo of it and it's barely visible. The fact that that rain is glaringly pronounced makes me worry about what it'll be like in game, I think more and much less pronounced raindrops would work the best, to say nothing of how sharp and solid they appear.

I thought this only applied to trenches. Are you sure?

Not sure , but is a worry. I understand the need for FOW to apply to trenches and foxholes but the way other threads talked about terrain deformation slowing down frame rate suggested to me it was no longer done , which would be a real shame. Some clarification would be good , any beta testers of preview users should be able to answer quickly.

Not sure , but is a worry. I understand the need for FOW to apply to trenches and foxholes but the way other threads talked about terrain deformation slowing down frame rate suggested to me it was no longer done , which would be a real shame. Some clarification would be good , any beta testers of preview users should be able to answer quickly.

Craters deform terrain and always have since CMSF. You need a big boom to get much of a deformation, but it's there.

Craters deform terrain and always have since CMSF. You need a big boom to get much of a deformation, but it's there.

Well thats good news. CMBN threads didnt differentiate between craters and trenches so it did sound like no deform rule was the same for all.

I got a large crater from a standard rpg hit into the rear of a T72 last night , it went up in flames so maybe it was secondary rather than the rpg ordnance.

Created a senarios to test 3 x RPG teams (RED on RED) running around a village trying to take out a single armour unit , really great fun. Can see RELATIVE SPOTTING is going to be great fun as opposed to BLUE C2 in the year 2000 +. Armour unit is so much more difficult to track !!! makes me miss sound contacts though, its a tad unrealistic from that point of view.