Question & Suggestion (Steve?)

I don't know whether this has been considered yet, but...

Firstly, while seeing the random equipment on vehicles and tanks I realised two things. Seemingly, not all equipment is shared between all vehicles, and the equipment has set positions on the vehicles. Therefore I was wondering whether it would be possible to have foliage on vehicles like the StuG? There's plenty of photos with tank camouflaged with foliage; ranging from the sparsely covered StuG: StugTram.jpg

To the driving brush of doom :

Stug+III+Normandy

Considering how beautiful the foliage in CMBN actually is, it seems you guys are well within the capacity to make this convincingly good. Of course, some form of rarity could be applied to this as I don't know how frequent this practice was.

And secondly, a small question, there are plenty of screenshots of vehicles with Skirts, and some vehicles that miss skirts. These skirts do provide protection against HEAT projectiles right? Even though, they're randomised? Also, can these skirts be blown away like the ERA blocks in CMSF?

In theory we could add foliage like that, but it chews up a ton of polygons and that's generally not a good thing.

Skirts do add protection where they are and do not offer protection where they are not. They can't be knocked off like ERA blocks because, well, there's not much call for that. Generally rounds go straight through the skirts. If they are powerful enough to knock the skirt off they probably would take out the vehicle as well, so there's not much chance of this mattering much.

The problem we have is that when an ERA block is hit it explodes and disappears. Literally. But with skirt armor, if it was knocked off by something we'd have to animate it falling off or people would likely gripe. Best to leave it as it is.

Steve

This reminds me of a funny story.I was an FO in the Army(13 Foxtrot)back in the early 90's.We had an M981 FISTV we called "The Frog".For anyone that doesn't know or is not familiar with it,The 981 is basically an M113 with a "hammer head".It looks similar to a TOW variant only the hammerhead houses a Laser designator.

Anyway,the point of this story is,One time we were having fun putting foliage on the Frog and we got so carried away that we had about 10 whole trees worth of foliage on the vehicle.We went to the field kitchen for chow,and when we came back we couldn't find the Frog for like an hour due to all the heavy brush we were in and all the foliage we put on it.

The Lt. came buy and was wondering why we were all walking in circles thru the brush when he told us over an hour earlier to drive the Frog up to a certain Grid coordinate.He was not happy when we told him we hid it too well and could't find it.Ahh,good times.:D

In theory we could add foliage like that, but it chews up a ton of polygons and that's generally not a good thing.

Dude! you just broke the heart of every WWII diorama modeler, and I hear the revered ashes of Yoshio Tamiya turning in the family shrine!

We don't care if there's an in-game concealment effect and we promise to quash the whiners if it just falls off (vanishes) when the vehicle moves. It just looks right, especially for a SPG in a static position. DO NOT underestimate the power of that immersion thing in selling this game!

This reminds me of a funny story.I was an FO in the Army(13 Foxtrot)back in the early 90's.We had an M981 FISTV we called "The Frog".For anyone that doesn't know or is not familiar with it,The 981 is basically an M113 with a "hammer head".It looks similar to a TOW variant only the hammerhead houses a Laser designator.

Anyway,the point of this story is,One time we were having fun putting foliage on the Frog and we got so carried away that we had about 10 whole trees worth of foliage on the vehicle.We went to the field kitchen for chow,and when we came back we couldn't find the Frog for like an hour due to all the heavy brush we were in and all the foliage we put on it.

The Lt. came buy and was wondering why we were all walking in circles thru the brush when he told us over an hour earlier to drive the Frog up to a certain Grid coordinate.He was not happy when we told him we hid it too well and could't find it.Ahh,good times.:D

Well, you said to camo it. :)

The Lt. came buy and was wondering why we were all walking in circles thru the brush when he told us over an hour earlier to drive the Frog up to a certain Grid coordinate.He was not happy when we told him we hid it too well and could't find it.

Why didn´t you just double click your Lt. and then look for the pulsating green base under your vehicle?

;-)

A similar situation happened over here in Finland only it was winter and it was a Pasi wheeled APC covered by a camo net that got snowed over.

Hell, a lot of stuff gets lost when it snows. A grunt in another squad found the crapping hole that the pioneers occupying the positions had used. The CV90 crews wouldn't let the poor smelly guy in so he had to walk some 6 clicks to the base for a shower. :D

A similar situation happened over here in Finland only it was winter and it was a Pasi wheeled APC covered by a camo net that got snowed over.

Hell, a lot of stuff gets lost when it snows. A grunt in another squad found the crapping hole that the pioneers occupying the positions had used. The CV90 crews wouldn't let the poor smelly guy in so he had to walk some 6 clicks to the base for a shower. :D

Now that is BAD day. Complete with helpful comments from the whole squad I am sure.

Happened to me too in a parking lot outside of a bar. I went in at noon. I walked out (if you can call it walking) around closing, I couldn't find the car anywhere. I had to wait until there were less than 3 cars in the lot to find mine.

I know the feeling, went downtown for Halloween a couple years ago and took over an hour to find my car. A clear sign one should not be driving when unable to find ones car. Though I did meet two girls who did the same thing. So we immediately had that connection of "Hey I'm a drunk dumbass too!". The rest is history! :)