Is this game coming with a WWII scenario...

Hi MadWoman,

There will be one included and it will be based on the giant WWI map that can be found here for online viewing:

http://www.battlefront.com/images/stories/SC2/WW1/WW1_Map/TemplateWebPage.htm

Whether or not it will be included in the initial release or later as an official download or part of the first patch remains to be seen though as we are naturally still putting our top efforts into the WWI portion of the release.

What I can say though is that it is about 50% complete and so it just comes down to how much extra time we have to squeeze it in before the game goes on sale.

I hope this helps,

Hubert

No to worry crispy131313, the WWII campaign will not delay the WWI release at all as it is not even our focus at the moment.

As mentioned it is about 50% there but only because we were experimenting with the WWII mode many months ago and it was more or less a proof of concept at the time. Fact is it hasn't been touched in months and it was only something Bill and I looked at, Betas haven't even seen it as it is really not a priority while we attempt to wrap up the WWI release.

More or less the WWII campaign will be a free bonus when it is completed but we are at the same time very excited about it because it will be put together on such a big map and the biggest so far in the SC series.

All in all I think you guys will really enjoy this release when it is all said and done :)

I can tell you all for a fact that when the WWII campaign is done... and played on the current map we've been testing with WWI... it will set a new standard and bar for SC. Think of true manuvere on a grand scale and you get the concept. On the flip side... the WWI campaign is terrible fun and due to map size there is a lot of strategy, planning and at times a lot of manuvere. Fun stuff.

There are a "lot" of changes. Without revealing too much... I will let Hubert do that... effectiveness of your combat forces is now affected by natioanal morale allowing you to wage another dimension of warefare... to affect your opponents in ways you could not before. It's actually quite fun.

Looking forward to this release. In what ways, though, is the engine different to SCGC? I notice from the manual that there is now a National Morale feature, but otherwise it looks rather like a grand mod of GC.

If I am going to buy it what aspects of the new game are a departure from what we have had before?

Thanks

Alastair

One aspect is that naval warfare is even more interesting/entertaining now. WW1 was the era of the battleship being the trump card. In every game I have played, including some with Abukede, the navy has been an important part of the game. Abukede used the Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian fleets very creatively in one game with me, wrestling control of the Mediterranean away from the Entente.

I am 61 and have played war games since the 1970's. The first time I was this excited about a computer war game was around 1991, when I got my copy of SSI's (Grigsby) Pacific War. I gravitate towards games that allow pbem, and my friends and I enjoyed that game for quite a long time. But it lacked an interesting land component.

Then a few years later, more excitement! Along came the Strategic Command series, and as great as those games have also been for enjoyment and replayability, I have to say that with World War 1: The Great War, Hubert and Bill have hit a home run. On land, sea, and air, this game is a different experience from its predecessors in the SC series, because of the scale, and the nuances that are in the game because of the era in which it is set.

Being retired, I know as well as anyone that people do not have an infinite supply of money. But in all sincerity, Alastair, this is one you don't want to miss :). Definitely not a mod of GC; far from it.

You've both convinced me. 'Nuff said - I'll buy it. The ability to mod to ww2 is also a very important marketing tool and I may well even have a go at my own.

Grigsby Pacific War? Blimey - that brings back memories. I was brought into puter gaming by the Amstrad 1640 and 2 games: Kampfgruppe and Western Front, both Grigsby games I think. For the last 10 years I have been an avid CM1 gamer, but the SC series has added a strategic strand to my gaming life that has been missing since the days of Panzer General, another SSI (and probably therefore Grigsby!) game.

Anyway, back to work...

Cheers

Alastair

Checked out the map. Real nice job on that one. I wasn't sure if I'd buy this one or not but after looking at the map and the possibility of another WWII campaign, I could be sold. (Because you can never have enough WWII games.) Not to say I wouldn't play the WWI campaign, because it would be nice to play something different. But looking at that map also reminds me of Gary Grisby's War in Russia. (The big open spaces in Russia)

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to this.

are the map tiles moddable? I would love to see traditional counters and a boardgame style map.

Speaking of which, the first thing I noticed that kind of disturbed me was the large unit base that covers the entire tile. Don't suppose there is the ability to reduce the base size for the units and show some of the underlying terrain???

No to worry crispy131313, the WWII campaign will not delay the WWI release at all as it is not even our focus at the moment.

As mentioned it is about 50% there but only because we were experimenting with the WWII mode many months ago and it was more or less a proof of concept at the time. Fact is it hasn't been touched in months and it was only something Bill and I looked at, Betas haven't even seen it as it is really not a priority while we attempt to wrap up the WWI release.

More or less the WWII campaign will be a free bonus when it is completed but we are at the same time very excited about it because it will be put together on such a big map and the biggest so far in the SC series.

All in all I think you guys will really enjoy this release when it is all said and done :)

Hubert, this is above and beyond the all too ordinary way of doing things, as far as I am concerned.

In my long gaming experience, I can certainly, and quite confidently say -- VERY rarely will any game-developer go to these generous and extensive lengths to satisfy new and old customers.

And, NEVER, nope, IMO -- not EVER... has any game-developer created the kind of tremendous Editor that allows the same sort of... experimentation and exploration. That has been true since the very first game, SC1. It is even MORE true today.

This WWI game will be well worth any serious -- or even occasional gamer's time -- and yep, I am quite fortunate to have been granted an advance look at it -- and I'd very highly recommend that everyone buy it and try it out. Over the years I have not usually been a WWI kind of cat, but... I surely am now. :)

There'll be plenty of time later on down the glory-road to try out some other spin-offs, mods or permutations.

Speaking of which, the first thing I noticed that kind of disturbed me was the large unit base that covers the entire tile. Don't suppose there is the ability to reduce the base size for the units and show some of the underlying terrain???

Hi Jestre

This is an option included in the game, as there are three settings: full counters (as per the screenshots); limited counters (just a small coloured ring around the base) and no counters at all.

All can be quickly chosen in the Options so you'll be able to use whichever you like the most! :)

Bill

Looking forward to this release. In what ways, though, is the engine different to SCGC? I notice from the manual that there is now a National Morale feature, but otherwise it looks rather like a grand mod of GC.

If I am going to buy it what aspects of the new game are a departure from what we have had before?

Thanks

Alastair

Hi Alastair

Although the game started off using the same base engine as the Global game, many months of thought and development went into amending and improving the engine to ensure not only that it works very well for a WWI game, but also to enhance the WWII gaming experience too.

WWI games will include aerial reconnaissance missions which we've never had before. So now, if your Recon Bombers don't fly over enemy lines, you'll get no intelligence of enemy preparations for an attack. This is a major change from the past where if the enemy were within your aircraft's spotting range, you could automatically see them whether or not your aircraft flew a mission.

In the same way, Seaplane Carriers can help join the hunt for enemy U-Boats, and they can come in just as handy during a major naval battle when knowing the position of the enemy's fleet could mean all the difference between victory and defeat.

Shell Production is a new feature which really means that your offensives require a bit more planning. Build up your stock of shells and you may be able to punch a big hole in the enemy's line. But if you don't invest in improving shell production, your opponent may do this first to you... and you don't want to be the one suffering from a shell shortage when all hell breaks loose! :eek:

As well as National Morale, which is a really major addition as it can be used to trigger all kinds of scripts, from riots and rebellions to full scale revolutions, there are retreats (these are fun! :)) and a number of changes to scripts relating to the formation of new countries so that we can recreate something like the Russian Revolution or the collapse and defeat of Austria-Hungary.

Unit upgrades now have some customization, so that if you want HQs to be able to upgrade with Motorization and/or Anti-Aircraft Defense, this can now be done.

In the same way, Infantry now have the potential to upgrade with Anti-Aircraft Defense. This should give enemy Tactical Bombers a tougher target in WWII games!

Plus of course there's that giant map of Europe, North Africa, the Middle East and the North Atlantic. It can easily be chopped up by modders looking to play (say) just a WWII campaign set in the Mediterranean and North Africa, or the Eastern Front, or the breakout from Normandy. One campaign using just part of this map is already in progress, and there may be more to come... ;)

These are just a few of the many changes that have been introduced, but hopefully they serve to show you that we have been busy. Very busy indeed! :)

Hi Jestre

This is an option included in the game, as there are three settings: full counters (as per the screenshots); limited counters (just a small coloured ring around the base) and no counters at all.

All can be quickly chosen in the Options so you'll be able to use whichever you like the most! :)

Bill

Great!!!! options are always a welcome addition. Course I already pre-ordered so any new-to-me features are gravy :D

Its funny but when I was young, teens to 30's, I hated WWI, was my least favorite period of military history. Now it is my most favorite period in history, not only WWI but the period around 1890-1930. Absolutely fascinating period and I believe the most formative period in modern history.