CMBN preview, Liverpool UK 19th Feb

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else thinking of going to Liverpool from the London area?

If so please get in touch re possible petrol costs sharing...

Sandy

sandydoteisenatbtineternetdotcom

Wotcha Sandy,

I am going to be driving up on the saturday morning staying overnight and coming back on the Sunday. If you want a lift I am happy to oblige.

It went really well. We met at 1 and played for about 6 hours - yes, with beer. The guys seemed very impressed. Two are local and two are travelling back home today so I suspect they'll put their impressions up tonight.

We played a single player QB which unfortunately didn't have an AI plan, so it just camped on the objective. Still, it let us get first impressions in.

I set up a HtH of Barkman's Corner over TCP/IP which was a blast - found an annoying issue with the map I'll write up.

Couldn't do that again - our hearts weren't strong enough. So we played "A Strange Awakening" and had a grand old time. A real "I've got this - no I'm losing - no I've got it" game.

I've just remembered I left the fridge in work cranked up. Bugger. Hope the milk doesn't freeze.

Really wish I could have made it....would have been great to meet up with other wargamers...even better I could have met two other lads who live near me...knowing it went on for six hours does make me realise I was best staying away as the missus would have been even more mental when I'd have got in...

Good to hear it went well...

Big thanks to Other Means for making the preview happen (and supplying the beer).

Starting at about 1.30, we played part of a Quick Battle with Other Means talking us through what we were seeing, then split into teams and played a LAN game and finally regrouped to play a scenario - which was still going on when I left at 6.30 (as was the drinking). That we didn't notice the time tells you everything you need to know about just how immersive the game is.

The visuals are tremendous : the lush landscapes, the fields of wheat (ploughed or unploughed), the rivers, the collapsed bridges, the bocage, the Norman churches and the sight of the troops marching in columns across the landscape (with, in one case, the blast shield of his schreck appearing to catch the sun). Simply magnificent.

And then there was the fighting. I can't recall the name of the scenario (Bachman's defense ?) that we played in the LAN game but it was gripping, pitting Blackcat and Sandy as the Americans against Kilgore and I as the Germans (we were defending.) A quiet start descending into mayhem with some great moments - we had what was left of one squad pickup a shreck from a wiped out squad and let loose at a sherman - a satisfying but futile gesture (he missed and died shortly afterwards). We forgot about rhinos (oops), so tanks appeared where they had no right to be and in the ensuing choas fausts were flying everywhere with our lone tiger destroying four shermans before being knocked out by a dastardly shot from behind.

As you can probably guess, I loved it: the rich visuals pull you in and the fighting keeps you firmly gripped. One of us declined the idea of a second lan game because the first was too stressful....