CM:BN Beta AAR/DAR Bois de Baugin - German side

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I forgot to mention; the Kubel's wheels have independent suspension - as it's going over rough ground they each bounce up and down is response to the ground that wheel is travelling over.

Technically the Kübel and Jeep are supposed to only carry 4 guys total. 2 front seat, 2 rear seat. But we all know in real life they can fit more with comfort and safety sacrificed. JonS posted a funny picture in the Beta area of a Jeep with what appeared to be an entire Platoon packed into it! Kinda like a clown car without the roof :D OK, seriously I think there was something like 10 riding in it, mostly standing up which is of course VERY unsafe.

Therefore, we have allowed most vehicles (even in CM:SF) to have 1-2 passengers more than their rated number, depending on the vehicle. We felt this was a decent compromise between actual seating and combat seating.

Steve

All with the air to proceed well, the actions are splendid, I prefer the context of the Second World War by far. Will the gun flak of 88 be present,

Take a look here for your answer (which is yes ;)) and any other similar questions you might have.

would I like to also know if the pionners have the same characteristics or so innovations theirs are allotted?

Not quite sure I understand your question here, mate. Could you rephrase please? :)

Not quite sure I understand your question here, mate. Could you rephrase please? :)

Just a guess, but I think he's asking whether pioneers/engineers have the same characteristics (organization, equipment, etc.) as vanilla infantry or are they uniquely depicted with their historical capabilities.

Michael

LoL, that is the difference between us, the drooling public, and Steve, my lord and savior ;)

When he looks and a screen shot taken somewhere south west of heaven, he doesn't see wonderful pixeltruppen, he sees missing ammo pouches! Good thing someone is, lol, this DAR is just great, I have spent almost as much time in the BF forums this week as I have spent playing CMSF (which I am playing the Canadian campaign in, good stuff, my respects to Paper Tiger, great missions!)

And....that reminds me. The demo charges that are carried by troops in CMSF are door/wall breaching charges for the most part from what I've seen. Now, I know that the charges used in WWII were, I guess, satchel charges. Like a bag of Compound B with a fuse that can be thrown at a bunker, used to demolish road blocks, etc. Now, will the demo charges be different in CM:BN then CMSF, or similar in power and use?

15: Stalemate

After the furious action that commenced on minute 27 died down around minute 34, things have been pretty quiet for past five or so minutes. We’re still managing to kill each other fairly steadily, but there are no major movements, and no significant attacks.

The surviving Jg.Pz.IV continues alternately sniping at the Shermans on Hill 154, or throwing HE down at the platoon moving up the D-28. Both activities are successful, resulting in a pair of flaming M4A3(75)Ws on the hill, and a bunch of dead guys from an attack going nowhere on the road.

37-boneyard-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

The crew of the most recent kill – to the rear – are just evacuating as fire catches hold, while the crew of the other brew up can be seen fleeing back down Hill 154. These three Shermans were quite tricky because they kept popping smoke, which would hang about then drift slowly away on the gentle north-west breeze. Also, of course, there were initially four of them that crept around the edge of the Bois and they pumped out a fair number of rounds at the Jg.Pz.

37-farming-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

As you can see, though, quite a few of them ploughed in short. Still, there were some hits, leaving it with damaged tracks, optics, and radio. In total the Jg.Pz has claimed five Shermans; three on Hill 154, and two down on the D-28. I suppose that makes him an ace. Huzzah! There’s still a Sherman left on Hill 154, and a couple – maybe a platoon – over on the Hill 144 side of the map.

The ammo for the HMG-42s on Hill 144 (one of them is in the image above) finally starts to run low, around 20 minutes after they first started firing. By ‘low’ I mean they each only have around 5-600 rounds. That’s still enough for several minutes of fire, but not so much that I can just leave them chattering away.

Around minute 40 (just before 1500hrs, game time) the platoon I transferred over from Hill 154 arrives at Hill 144. The map is about 800m wide by 900m deep, and they’ve Quick-ed the 800m in a big bow to stay in dead ground, so it’s no wonder they’re tired after their jog. There are limits to how far you can Quick units.

Down in la Campagne my troops have been having an interesting time. After the heavy artillery strike the dust has cleared and the casualties dealt with. There are three HMGs there, and after a bit of trial and error in different locations I’ve gotten them into some good positions. Most of the route Elvis has been using to move his troops up to Hill 144 is under observation and fire, and like the pair of MGs on that hill I’ve been able to use their great depth of ammo to just keep chattering away. All of them are inside the buildings, keeping a sharp lookout.

34-enjoy-the-view1-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

34-enjoy-the-view2-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

The soldiers intelligently move to the windows to observe there specified arcs. In these and the other close-ups of the Germans you can see the variation of personal equipment.

Some desultory shelling occurs in various spots during this stalemate, causing me to shuffle some men about slightly. The snipers on Hill 144 pull a bit further back around the side of their hill, but they can still cover down onto the D-28, the open fields just beyond it, and at a pinch over to Hill 154.

This is the situation halfway through the battle:

41-halfway-thumb.jpg

(larger image)

Elvis’ two strong attacks on the flanks seem to have stalled. He’s lost six Shermans and a stack of infantry. He can’t push through the woods without prohibitive additional casualties, and his armour can’t really manoeuvre down on the flat because of the dominating presence of the Jg.Pz. Certainly the Sherman on Hill 154 is stranded, as the immolation of its mates proved. My own casualties have been reasonably heavy, but not so bad as to leave me unbalanced anywhere. My forces are pretty well consolidated now, and I doubt there’ll be much movement between the three main locations.

No, the soldiers carry them around visibly till they're used :)

(actually there's a bit of a glitch with that in this build, so I can't actually show that :( But they are carrying around the 'fausts, and the glitch is being - has been? - corrected)

In other news, I'm on the road for the next little while so no update from me for the next couple of days :) There's fifteen posts up so far, each with 3-5 screenies - that should keep you going till I get back :)

What's that? No it won't? Yeesh. Patience, grasshopper :D

Take a look here for your answer (which is yes ;)) and any other similar questions you might have.

Thank you for your answer. :)

I will reformulate my question, I will pass through a friend because I have difficulties with English, I am Belgian

i only see a HMG icon so i supect all those 4 men belong to it. however two of them are not in foxholes. and cues to why that is the case?

second question: is that fellow next to the MG serving in some kind of ammo feeder assistant role (or is he perhaps the HMG squad leader doing some spotting), or is his position and pose just a coincidence? if it's not a conincidence, is there a reason why he is not in the foxhole (one foxhole can take 2 men, right?)?