CM:BN Beta AAR/DAR Bois de Baugin - German side

hehe :)

Usually I try and buddy aid as many wounded and dead as I can ... just because it's a good thing to do. Patching up the wounded is much harder on defence though, since you tend to lose control of the ground where the bodies are. In this case I got lucky, plus there was the added bonus of being able to swap an 19th Century bolt action rifle for WWII's premier section level fire support weapon. To be honest, I wouldn't have risked it for someone who just had a rifle. Maybe for an MP-40.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you have to look at the 3D image to see what weapons there are with the dead and wounded?

In this case I knew the section had had an MG, and now didn't, and I knew where the three fallen were lying, so it was a case of zooming around until I found the one with the MG and not a rifle lying next to the body. You can see the MG in the first image above, but it's not the greatest angle to get a good view of the weapon. It's in the seond image too, just beside the kneeling guy's knee.

In this case I knew the section had had an MG, and now didn't, and I knew where the three fallen were lying, so it was a case of zooming around until I found the one with the MG and not a rifle lying next to the body. You can see the MG in the first image above, but it's not the greatest angle to get a good view of the weapon. It's in the seond image too, just beside the kneeling guy's knee.

In CMSF, I can barely see the difference between the small squad automatic weapons and the ordinary rifles. (until they start using it).

No big point, but it would add up to the arguments for displaying the casualties in the team section of the GUI in some way.

Cool example of Buddy Aid potentially having an in-game effect besides helping your post-game score.

Getting back to my "outlier" comment earlier and Jon's withdrawal under observation:

What Steve means scottie is that under CMx1 it was nigh impossible to have orderly "cover and move" retreats (or advances for that matter) as JonS has described. The old CMx1 "grid" was too large (20x20 Steve?) combined with the spotting system to allow such manuevering without producing a high number of what we players would term "stupid" outcomes... i.e., (no, no, no idiots!! Not THAT way!! aww shi..) otherwise known as outliers on a probability curve.

Or somefink. :D

You have it right! I'm going to write up a detailed article about this sometime tonight.

Steve

It is great to watch someone else play the CMx2 system, and it has caused me to increase my CMSF time dramatically! In fact, while playing the first mission of the Canadian campaign, I have been able to use this fire and maneuver type of advance (the right way, I know, I know) to great effect. And, as has been stated, when tried in CMx1 more often then not the results weren't the ones I was after. I really, really, really can't wait for Normandy. It's whats keeping me alive, I have dreams about it, LoL, I need a CM rehab I think, but I don't think anyone here has a leg to stand on to force an intervention, so the vicious cycle continues ;)

I need a CM rehab I think, but I don't think anyone here has a leg to stand on to force an intervention, so the vicious cycle continues ;)

Not to mention if we did send you we'd all soon follow...there'd be nothing but cricket noises on this board...

And I wholeheartedly second everything you said...and will add, these DARs are simultaneously killing me and keeping me alive.

Mord.

Cool example of Buddy Aid potentially having an in-game effect besides helping your post-game score.

Getting back to my "outlier" comment earlier and Jon's withdrawal under observation:

You have it right! I'm going to write up a detailed article about this sometime tonight.

Steve

Thanks for the reply steve, gromit , stoex , thats does sound amazing (when explained in layman terms :)) It can be difficult to understand the subtleties of the game engine. Dont get me wrong i love the realism , makes for a better tactical simulation. Must be difficult for BF to explain everything about the product especially to newcomers to the engine.

Hello, I'm Tanya and I was wondering if you all knew that today is JonS BIRTHDAY? Well it's extra special because it's his 40th, yes I know, very old isn't he ... I guess you've got that sinking feeling, why didn't I send a gift? It will never reach him in time now ... gosh, maybe you could still do something ....

How about 40,000 views on this thread?

that would make him VERY happy!

Cheers everyone

Tanya

Hello, I'm Tanya and I was wondering if you all knew that today is JonS BIRTHDAY? Well it's extra special because it's his 40th, yes I know, very old isn't he ... I guess you've got that sinking feeling, why didn't I send a gift? It will never reach him in time now ... gosh, maybe you could still do something ....

Cheers everyone

Tanya

Tell Jon to stop yelling at the kids on his lawn and come in and play some more turns!

Cheers everyone

Tanya

I believe the wine is all long gone now? ;-)

Cheers everyone

Tanya

Buon compleanno JonS !