CM:BN Beta AAR/DAR Bois de Baugin - German side

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got me thinking. The PAK shooting at this distance at moving target partially visible (in tall grass) without any near object to easily judge its speed and distance hitting with first round. Hans that's some fancy shooting. ...or is there some forgotten CMSF fire-control system. ;)

This Die Deutsche Wochenschau Newsreel gives an idea of tank destruction and explosions.

1941 Minks-Bialystock Pocket. At 3:51 the idea of tank turrets blowing off as unrealistic and more the realms of fantasy is settled. Also ammo cooking off at 4:31.

http://www.youtube.com/user/skoblinI#p/u/193/qAkdkLm0kqM

gun349.jpg

PAK firing at 3:49

turret350.jpg

Explosion 3:50-3:53.

Could well be a a wrack fired till explosion for Wochenschau Newsreel team after the battle.

cookoff431.jpg

Ammo cooking off at 4:31

Nice find, but I don't think it proofs any thing for or against commonness of blowing off tank turrets within battle.

I do not remember stating the commonality of flying tank turrets or turrets blown off by explosions only that it did occur. All war newsreels footage is propaganda. We have an embedded press regarding military conflict coverage. Although I very much doubt that they had their own blue screen team with them. Are you worried that customers will demand more special effects like fire which your revolutionary software engine cannot handle? Thanks for making me choose Panzer Command Ostfront. At least they understand customer relations.

I do not remember stating the commonality of flying tank turrets or turrets blown off by explosions only that it did occur. All war newsreels footage is propaganda. We have an embedded press regarding military conflict coverage. Although I very much doubt that they had their own blue screen team with them. Are you worried that customers will demand more special effects like fire which your revolutionary software engine cannot handle? Thanks for making me choose Panzer Command Ostfront. At least they understand customer relations.

They made you choose Panzer Command because of thier bad customer relations?How did anyone make you choose anything?If you make a choice,then by the very action of you making a choice you cannot claim that someone else made you choose.If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.Wait,isn't that from a Rush song?I confused myself again.Damn,What were we talking about?:confused::confused::confused::D

Turrets flying off could certainly happen. But it's already been mentioned that Soviet tanks might have been more likely to loose their turrets for three reasons:

1. Soviet design emphasizes very small turrets. Less weight, more contained space for explosive force, etc.

2. Soviets packed their ammo into the turret space without much regard to safety. More likely to get a lethal ammo hit, more likely for the ammo to cause a catastrophic explosion.

3. I am pretty sure previous posters are correct that many of the Soviet tank designs did not have the turrets locked in. Which meant that a weak link in containing the explosion would be the turret ring.

Given the smaller size of the turret, greater proportional force of the explosion due to small size, and the weak point of the ring... yes, I think Soviet tank turrets blowing off was not necessarily a rare thing. But that's we're not doing the Eastern Front yet, so that's not relevant :D

On the Western Front, most photos I've seen with torn apart tanks attribute the damage to air attacks. There's a lot of pictures of Normandy area German tanks that are scattered all over the place. I don't recall seeing many, if any, pictures of Allied tanks with their turrets missing. This despite the fact that the Germans were hitting them with proportionally more force than the Allies were hitting Germans with.

Steve

Are you worried that customers will demand more special effects like fire which your revolutionary software engine cannot handle?

If we were concerned about customers being unreasonable and irrational we wouldn't be making games at all, not to mention wargames :D

As for what the game engine can handle... it can handle anything reasonable graphics effect we care to spend the time coding. So far we've felt our time is better spent on other graphical elements (like the terrain) and the game itself. I've seen Panzer Command and I think it's kinda funny to imply we're somehow behind the curve graphically compared to them.

Thanks for making me choose Panzer Command Ostfront. At least they understand customer relations.

Well, each to his own.

Steve

Back to the AAR's latest turn.

JonS, I think I can tell you something without spoiling anything on Elvis' side. And that is... he wasn't very happy when his Deuce was blown up. Not happy at all :D

Moving mounted troops around in this sort of tactical setting is one of those things which has a pretty hefty risk:reward equation. Meaning, you usually get a huge payoff if things work out right, but you tend to get hurt really badly if they do not. As Jon said, Elvis could have advanced dismounted and probably achieved better results, though more slowly.

This is why so much effort, post WW2, was put into making infantry carrying vehicles that could withstand at least moderate anti-armor threats. The vehicle designs were supposed to weight the risk:reward more towards reward and reduce the extreme results of the risk. One can argue how well that's worked out given the dominance of overkill AT weapons in the hands of infantry.

Steve

JonS, I think I can tell you something without spoiling anything on Elvis' side. And that is... he wasn't very happy when his Deuce was blown up. Not happy at all :D

hehe - I'd already received that feedback :D