RAMADI (Iraq): Mother of All MOUT Maps

I have version 1.21 never bothered getting the latest as dont have nato yet what patch do I need?

I never bought Brits or NATO either -- I just own Marines (although if BFC offers a Brits + NATO discount I may reconsider). There are 1.31 patches specific to the Marines and Brits modules, and the patch has a lot of useful tweaks (e.g. lower volume of hand grenading).

Basically, once you edit a map on a machine that uses a specific patch, it no longer shows up on any machine not yet patched to that level. You can run maps created in an older version though. No idea why that is.

Any chance of uploading this to the Repository? I can't seem to register at GaJ's.

I submitted the scenario along with the 2 mods I recommend (shopfront building and Islamic cemetery) to the Suppository this morning, but I am now going through some major agita since the stupid friggin form defaults to your real name not your screen handle. I am fairly paranoid about publishing my real name on the Net. Hopefully this will get resolved.

In the meantime though, PM me with an email address and I'll send you the files.

LLF, thank you this! I'm totally bogged down right now, but I will download and play this at some point.

Regardless, you have shown how a dedicated player/designer can create an incredible map with the tools in the editor.

Thanks,

Ken

Basically, this goes for me too. I'm spending all of the little free time I have for CM working on BN, but once it's out the door this is on the top of my "to play" list.

I have been playing this Joker 3 several times over. I cannot get better than a draw every time. However, each time I play, I get more and more efficient in clearing a path to joker 3’s elements. I can truthfully say I have not put so much thought into trying to win a scenario as I have this one. It’s like LLF said, “One sniper can become a serious problem.” The bad guys seem to be in every house, on every corner, behind every wall, and hidden under the trees. You think you have control of the situation and suddenly there’s enemy contact to the front, flank, or rear.

What I like most about this scenario is the hummer becomes a priceless ammo carrier and weapons platform. The Ma Deuce and the Mark 19 become highly effective weapons. The M240G machine gun teams become important assets to whatever squad they’re with. The SMAW makes the bad guys shiver. I have played CMSF since its initial release. I have played most if not every available scenario. Yet, I have never seen any of these systems being truly equal to their real life counter parts. However, in this scenario, they come to life. I cannot wait for your next scenarios LLF!

I never found a good use for the SMAW teams (other than using their charges to blast thru walls). They didn't seem that accurate at longer ranges and I was scared of using em too close to the enemy as I felt they were too valuable while carrying the charges.

I split em and simply used them for cover fire (LIGHT).

How did you use em?

As you say, they're pretty much a ranged weapon. They provide a pretty good overwatch for the Humvees across the cemetery or up Michigan. They have pretty decent one-shot-one-kill capability on RPGs in buildings. Once you get into the backstreets they're less useful unless you can find a safe rooftop at a T-junction.

Erwin, have you played this scenario. The SMAW teams are seriously effective. You can hit snipers with eye shots (just kidding). I've just found them useful in this one. I just have them work along with a fire team. When contacts made - Wham! The enemy's position is silent and the element can advance another few steps down the street.

Played it twice. I was too nervous of getting them so close to the action as I thought them too valuable to lose. I wonder if you play RT? That might make a difference. (I played WEGO.)

Am thinking that whenever anyone comments on tactics they need to make clear if they play RT or WEGO. Huge difference in tactics.