British and Marine Modules - Worth it?

SlyBelle

Me, I admit I'm biased in favor.

I have a question for you - do you like the basegame CMSF enough that more sounds like fun? The usual chat board grumblers sometimes 'complain' that Marines are too robust while Brits are too fragile. That means there's a discernable difference in gameplay between modules. That's a selling point. What do the modules add? By a rough estimate, perhaps 90(?) or so additional standalone & campaign scenarios for one thing. Hill fighting, city fighting, rural farmland fighting. The scenario designers have lately taken to referencing Google Earth satellite maps more often, to the point where some scenarios provide precise latitude and longitude numbers so you can visit the actual spot the battle is being fought over! :D

If you had both Brits & Marines you could download my own 3rd party 'Outmanoeuvred TURBOCHARGED' scenario. It's a highly altered Brit module scenario pitting lots of elite quality top-end Challenger 2 (enhanced) against equally elite quality top-end Syrian T-90s (Marine module) on a big open farmland map. Things get blowed-up real good in that scenario. :)

There's been quite a few posts asking this very same question, and the answer is always an overwhelming 'yes'.

- Marines squads are bigger and more powerful

- British squads are less powerful

- playing Brits and Marines require a different style of play.

- lots of interesting new units for the blue sides

- warriors are cool

- AAVs are butt ugly but impressive in their own special way (the sheer quantity of gear you can shove into them, and then the risk if a fully laden one gets hits)

- the Marines gives the reds the T90, almost as good as best blue MBTs, as well as the BMP3 which is both dangerously armed and vulnerable to going up in a blaze of exploding fragments.

- the Brits also gives you a truck to play with (or is that with the Marines module too?)

- the campaign and scenarios are much improved from those that shipped with the original, especially since they are written to take into account the improvements in the game engine.

So, yes, if you enjoy CMSF in the first place, adding the Brits and Marines is worthwhile.

For more comprehensive answers try doing a search.

The Marines Module is most definitely worth it, besides the Marines themselves you get Syrian airborne, and T-90s. While the Brit module gives you IMO the most interesting (from a tactical standpoint) blue force in the game. Besides that you get access to a whole bunch of high quality scenarios.

But this is probably the most useful advice concerning the modules you'll get,

I have a question for you - do you like the basegame CMSF enough that more sounds like fun?

- the Marines gives the reds the T90, almost as good as best blue MBTs, as well as the BMP3 which is both dangerously armed and vulnerable to going up in a blaze of exploding fragments.

A bit OT but scenario designers seem to have ignored both of these units since the Marines release, I think there are only one or two user made scenarios out there that use either. Which is odd as many people remark on the overwhelming firepower advantage that blue has.

Assuming you do like the base game somewhat, otherwise you would not even be considering this. Also since most think the Marines is a must-have, which it is. The next question is this, is the Brits mod worth the extra $10(mod bundle $35) compared to the single Marines mod($25)?

The answer remains the same, yes it is. ;)

Thanks everyone for your replies. To answer the question as to whether I like the base game, yes I do. However, one thing I prefer is much smaller battles. I like it better when I only have a handful of troops to control versus a ton to micromanage. How do the new battles with the modules stack up in this area? Are there a lot of smaller engagements?

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for your replies. To answer the question as to whether I like the base game, yes I do. However, one thing I prefer is much smaller battles. I like it better when I only have a handful of troops to control versus a ton to micromanage. How do the new battles with the modules stack up in this area? Are there a lot of smaller engagements?

Thanks again!

There are indeed a good number, I am not sure I would say a lot, of smaller engagements in the Marines and British modules.

What is for sure, is that, if you enjoy a challenge, small unit Brit missions will give you a stretch - those small squads take careful handling at the best of times and without lots of supporting arms (i.e. HE chuckers, on board or off) are decidedly tricky.

You will like the first few battles of the Marine campaign! They are all fairly small. Later on it gets bigger. There are a fair number of small single scenario's as well.

I have both modules and for me it was more then worth the purchase.

And MikeyD, i'm playing your Turbocharged mission in PBEM now, as Red. Nerve wrecking!

Considering purchasing these additional modules, just curious on people's opinions if worth it? What are the good and bad of them? Do they add enough to the game to warrant the purchase?

Thanks!

I was also hesitant about purchasing the two add-on modules considering the steep price - but it was worth it. The quality and challenge of the scenarios versus the vanilla campaign is night and day. They also come with dozens of other scenarios separate from the actual campaign.

And MikeyD, I'm playing your Turbocharged mission...

You inspired me to touch it again, myself, for the first time in ages last night.

Playing Red in realtime, 3 minutes left on the clock all my elite T90s are burning. Just one lone BMP-2 left to tackle the last remaining Blue tank - a Marine Abrams who has half his optics shot away. I pop smoke, pull my BMP into the perfect position and wait for the smoke to clear to launch my ATGM. Now two minutes left on the clock, the smoke parts, the missile fires... and corkscrews off to the left! Damn damn damn, I had forgot all about the Marine Abrams' roof-mounted jammer! Aaaagh! Boom goes my BMP. That was the most thrilling game I've had in ages. :D

MikeyD,

I remember how confused I was when I saw those on Marine tanks during OIF in Baghdad. At first, from a distance, I thought they had M1A2s, which simply didn't fit the late adoption model that characterizes most Marine equipment (Marines still had 105mm gunned M1s during Desert Storm). Later, I thought I was looking at something like LRAS. It took a bit before I found out, here, I believe, that the box housed a beacon tracking jammer.

Regards,

John Kettler

I purchased the Marines+Brits Bundle and never regret it. The Singleplayer campaigns are worth the Money. I played through the Marines Campaign.

My two Reason why i bought it was:

1. To support BFC for further releases in WW2 Scenarios

2. Get a look on thoses T-90 and Syrian Airborne

@MikeyD, Marine Abrams in outmaneuvered? Heck I'm still waiting to take out that 1st Challenger! Already lost 2 T-90's to Javs (got 1 trooper though) and 2 to Challengers, partly because a wrong placed cover arc screwed up my flanking move.

Now extra Abrams wasn't really what I was hoping for! :(

My shiny AT-14's will have to save this dark day. My opponent will return from his holiday soon, so hopefully I can harvest a Challenger as a late Christmas present! :)

I just got the Marines and Brits bundle and I'm very satisfied and happy that I got those 2 Mods.Completely different game and a whole new world of tactical play opens up that allows you to try out different maneuvers,at least that's what i find.I'm loving it so far and I think it's well worth the buck.

Marines have awesome troop firepower and many men to scatter around the map.Makes them very effective at assaulting and surrounding enemy positions and forming multiple firing locations quickly.Playing with all that fire power makes for 1 hell of a show and is very fun to control and watch.Glad i got it.

British are more of a challenge for now and I'm still trying to figure out how to use all their assets properly.Ive only played 2-3 missions with them.The Brits deployable MK19, MG's, Snipers and mortar fire provide good suppressive fire for the assault teams to move in or flank.With the Brits, the moves need to be very precise and cautious because they do not have overwhelming fire power, but enough to win the firefights 1 on 1.I like this because it forces me to be more clever in my approach to problem solving.

Marines can do it fast and sloppy where as the Brits can do it slow and thorough but it all comes down to your style of play.You can be fast and aggressive with both or slow and thorough with both but its obvious that 1 can be more aggressive then the other.The tactical variety is what makes me give 2 thumbs up to BFC for these Mods.Both Mods are a good buy for tactical lovers and i would not be able to tell you which one i like more.I recommend anyone who likes this game and does not have the mods to get them.

Here's a little somethin quick and dirty for ya

CMShockForce2009-12-2923-25-31-90.jpg

CMShockForce2009-12-2923-12-05-98.jpg

CMShockForce2009-12-2923-03-10-50.jpg

CMShockForce2009-12-2923-26-43-26.jpg