Holiday Bones, Norman Style

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

souldierz,

Combat Mission: ETO (European Theater of Operations)

Combat Mission: Liberation of Europe

Clavicula_Nox (really appreciate seeing your service pics and remarks!), MarkEzra, Smaragdadler,

Good ones!

Piecekeeper, (Do you carry off game components? Couldn't resist!)

I like Combat Mission: Normandy as a title very much, but I'm pretty sure Steve said that wouldn't be used. OTOH, that might've been disinformation for the "benefit" of potential competitors.

Regards,

John Kettler

The first WWII game will cover the Western Front from just after Overlord to just before the winter weather arrives, so the name has to be something appropriate to represent that time frame. It also has to be something marketable and something that hasn't been used before.

The first WWII game will cover the Western Front from just after Overlord to just before the winter weather arrives, so the name has to be something appropriate to represent that time frame. It also has to be something marketable and something that hasn't been used before.

And what does THAT have to do with Cowbells!? Could you stick to the topic pleeeeze :D

The sequels would be CM: Cease and Desist and CM: The Lawsuit

I wonder. Last I heard you couldn't copyright a title, although the law on that might have changed during the intervening years. Registered trademarks are also another kettle of fish. If the studios went that route, then yes, they have it locked up.

Michael

I wonder about that. For example, I know of two seperate books titled The Forever War. Caused a considerable amount of confusion when all I wanted to read was some Sci-Fi.

There is that. A lot of books share a title. But more germane to this discussion is that during the '70s a whole lot of boardgames took their titles from books covering the same topic Lost Battles being but one example.

Michael

I wonder about that. For example, I know of two seperate books titled The Forever War. Caused a considerable amount of confusion when all I wanted to read was some Sci-Fi.

The other book is non-fiction about Afghanistan civil war, apparently. I think this is within limits - eg. there are many books titled "Star Wars" that are all about Reagan's political gimmick, the SDI. Or maybe George Lucas should have sued the White House.

Incidentally, back when Lucas Arts released their Star Wars Battlefront game, they negotiated an agreement with Battlefront.com that BFC won't go sueing them if Lucas Arts puts a link to BFC's website on the SWBF website. So it goes...

There is that. A lot of books share a title. But more germane to this discussion is that during the '70s a whole lot of boardgames took their titles from books covering the same topic Lost Battles being but one example.

Michael

But film industry is, especially in these days but already in the 1980's (ET, anyone?), far more concerned about their intellectual rights over a given franchise. They make a lot of money by selling licenses to game publishers who then proceed to make games that have very little to do with the film. :D