So everyone hates this question.. but...

I haven't played CM:SF since before the expansions... Maybe 6 months after it was originally released...

As far as content, I know what the expansions have added...

But as to gameplay, which was underwhelming and buggy... has it been improved, changed, fixed, etc to a significant degree? have the expansions added gameplay features or just content?

Can anyone hit the hightlights for me?

Thanks,

Javaslinger

Well the game has been pretty solid from v1.10 IMO and has only improved since. There are still minor niggles like excactly how long it takes to set up an ATGM :) but the bugs are pretty much ironed out to a degree that would satisfy any big name title.

The expansions themselves are worth getting. The US Army is a bit too uber for my taste, play with the Marines or better still with the Brits and you have a proper fight on your hands! My preference is still Red v Red though, an old school RvR fight feels a bit like CMBB and a more modern one like in my AAR is a balenced, bloody fight!

Or, as Steve would say - Play the Demo!

The US Army is a bit too uber for my taste

i dont know when you joined the CMSF "club" but version 1.01 and 1.02...thats where blue was "über"! you could do TF thunder mission 1 without ever disembarking anyone from the strykers.

thats much harder now...i think i is quiet fine.

I think CMSF engine is already better than CMx1 when you count the features that are included in both - except quick battles. You can't purchase units and it's difficult to get equal units for both players. This is by far the biggest remaining problem in current features.

Some players prefer real time mode, but I think you need to play enough turn based games to really appreciate the little details. Especially short distance infantry battles can be fun to watch.

The version changelogs are readily available.

Seriously, it's going to be faster and more accurate to just download the updated demo/patch your game and give it a try.

This forum seems attracts everything from rabid fanboys who think that CMSF is the best thing since chess, to nattering nabobs who believe CMSF is the biggest disaster since Gallipoli. I'm more toward the fanboy side of the spectrum, but I really don't think you're going to get a very useful idea of the current state of the game by reading a thread like this. Just give it a try and decide for yourself.

i dont know when you joined the CMSF "club" but version 1.01 and 1.02...thats where blue was "über"! you could do TF thunder mission 1 without ever disembarking anyone from the strykers.

thats much harder now...i think i is quiet fine.

I think I started with 1.08 because of reading all the bad reviews. I kind of wanted to mess around with modern systems to see what they could do. If the US army was stronger than that they must have been pretty über! (Thanks for letting me copy/paste the ü :D)

To be fair I havn't really played with them since Marines came out so I can't really form a good opinion on them recently. Still a javelin is a javelin and they massively unbalence H2H play.

I'll stick with the other, less javelin heavy armies thanks!

You could also play mostly urban maps to take away most of the Javelin's advantages. I've found that Marine squads tend to perform the best in urban environments, compared to the Army and Brits, due to their large squad size. A single squad can occupy 3 different buildings with plenty of firepower in each to provide cover fire for eachothers' movement.

You just have to make sure that you disembark from the barn-sized AAVs and MTVRs well out of sight of the enemy!

I haven't played CM:SF since before the expansions... Maybe 6 months after it was originally released...

But as to gameplay, which was underwhelming and buggy... has it been improved, changed, fixed, etc to a significant degree? have the expansions added gameplay features or just content?

Thanks,

Javaslinger

java, I am right there with you. I have just started playing a couple of games again (played at about the same time you did), and it definitely isnt as buggy. I dont see that the gameplay has been changed to a significant degree (from what I remember).

I do chuckle when I see the occassional "uber" comments. They're usually next to the thread about having to restart 'scenario X' 3 times before getting it right, and the complaint about how lethal MOUT battles are.

Marine and Brit modules have something like 80(?) new standalone and campaign scenarios between them. And the scenario designers had considerable practice since the original release. Haven't iphone apps improved since the original 'Hello Universe' app was first released? :D

have the expansions added gameplay features or just content?

Additional gameplay features have been added during the development of each module but the way the game is built the features get retro fitted to every version so even if you only have the base game you will benefit from these enhancements.

Thanks,

Javaslinger

Thought about grabbing the latest demo and seeing if that addresses your concerns?

Uh oh... I have no idea where I bought this game from... so I can't figure out where to log in and re-download it... oops....

Was it purchase-able and download-able from Battlefront.com? It doesn't seem to recognize any of my usual user names...

Pretty sure if you bought the original digital download version from BF then your download has expired. If so then you have to start a support ticket.

http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php

Grrr.. looks like after 365 days your download expires... I have to 'rebuy' the game for $5....

While it's not a lot of dough, it is pretty pathetic... I download all of my games online precisely so that I don't have to keep a CD around and I can download whenever I want for convenience sake...

This is the first time I've ever seen this 'expiring'....

I do chuckle when I see the occassional "uber" comments. They're usually next to the thread about having to restart 'scenario X' 3 times before getting it right, and the complaint about how lethal MOUT battles are.

Marine and Brit modules have something like 80(?) new standalone and campaign scenarios between them. And the scenario designers had considerable practice since the original release. Haven't iphone apps improved since the original 'Hello Universe' app was first released? :D

See my comments on being annoyed at ridiculous battles where no sane BLUFOR commander would continue advancing without support. I prefer a strait fight and the US Army is too good at them :) Each to their own though - some people like the 'puzzle'.

I agree about scenarios improving though. The Marines and Brit modules have some excellent ones. 'Edge of darkness' for example was both balenced in terms of force numbers and challenging for the Blue player, lots of fun! (More ammo would be nice though!)

People are pretty interesting... I have always ordered a cd with my download (silly me, I could have just burned the file on a cd myself) because I don't want to rely on outside forces to install the game.

As I've said to others asking this question, I had a hard time getting into CMSF. Honestly, I had a hard time playing all the CMx1 titles in single player. After I discovered pbem sp didn't cut it. The biggest problem I had getting into CMSF was that pbem didn't work. With it working now the majority of my playing is pbem, but I plan on playing through the campaigns and scenarios (both BF and player created) before I hit the beaches, er... or not, of Normandy.

Then there is the huge learning curve about modern weaponry... I have taken is slowly, playing against a couple of other players, one newer than me and one old hand. I just learned that helo's can/will acquire targets of opportunity within their strikezone (I found this out on the receiving end). All this time I thought their strikes were like arty.

For me, usually each revelation makes the game better. Sure there are times that the limitations of the game are revealed, but since I'm getting up there in age I'm used to things that are imperfect.

Bottom line, if you're looking to really give it a shot drop me a pm and I'll send you my email address for a match.

The patches are worth the $5 bucks.

To answer the original question...

Things are much more solid and less buggy. OK, you know the additional units you get with the add-on modules, but what you don't know is that they can change the way you play the game. You will learn/use different tactics if you're using a fully armed USMC platoon vs. using some British recon unit. The modules multiply the games value. Not to mention all the great scenarios you won't be able to play if you don't get the modules ;).

No, I'm not saying that...

just said you make it sound like that, that does not mean you said it.

I'm only saying that this game is the best of it's type, so the money is worth it if you like this type of game.

i even think it got a monopol, there is nothing like it. they could charge what they want and it will be bought. and yes its worth it...after all, i got em all and i dont see me ending up with any of the CMx2 games/modules missing as the price is, well not nothing but its a good price for the play time i can sqeeze out of the games.

Spend the $5, and BACK IT UP! Save it in a file you can remember. Burn it to a disk. Add it to your external hard-drive archive. Ensure your network server has a copy. Stick on the thumb-drive on your key fob. C'mon, it's 2009; digital memory is cheap. $5 is cheaper yet. Then patch it and play it. Your call after that. (v1.21 is heads and shoulders above the pre-v1.10 game.)

Ken

While it's not a lot of dough, it is pretty pathetic... I download all of my games online precisely so that I don't have to keep a CD around and I can download whenever I want for convenience sake...

This is the first time I've ever seen this 'expiring'....

Then you're not doing much online shopping for software, because only few companies are offering "digital storage" and if they do, then usually only for a limited time and at an extra cost (sometimes quite a whopping amount, too). With us, you can download for up to 365 days or up to 10 times at no extra charge. But to be honest, this is really mainly needed for people who have problems with their connections. Usually, you don't have to download more than once, since you can then copy the file(s) you downloaded to disc or anywhere (we are not using any kind of copy protection).

"Download" is just another delivery method like "mail", and once you have the game, it's "delivered". Expecting it to be re-delivered on demand anytime you want and as often as you want is unreasonable.

Perhaps we'll offer this kind of service/storage for your games at some point. But if so, then it certainly won't be for free.

The one-time (!) $5 "re-buy" is a service to our customers that have forgotten to backup (or never thought of doing it) because so many have requested it, and we didn't want to have them to pay for the same thing the full price twice. But after you get your $5 re-download, PLEASE BACK UP YOUR game.

Martin