Noticed something remarkable on RAF Regt. and RM Commando Ma Deuces

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magnifying optics increase the user's ability to spot targets to be able to engage them, they don't extend the effective range of the weapon or its accuracy.

Agree with effective range but I assure you it does affect the users accuracy. I am much more accurate with a scope than with an iron sight.

flaming knives,

In The River And The Gauntlet, Marshall notes that the effective range of machine guns is 600 yards, because of the difficulty of seeing the target beyond that range, yet we all know that a .50 can kill reliably at 2000 yards. It stands to reason that if adding a telescopic sight to a .50 allows the gunner to actually discern a target that far away, then the usable range of the gun jumps accordingly. Carlos Hathcock got a 2200 yard single round kill in Vietnam with a scoped M2 on a sandbagged tripod mount. Target was an armed VC on a bicycle. He killed both bike and rider.

Regards,

John Kettler

The M2 is a awesome weapon. If I recall correctly we regularly practiced on vehicle targets out to 1000m, personel targets 600m for steel on target hits, suppression fires were expected to go out farther. Those were with the iron sights or night vision. I never actually played with any of the newer optics on the M2's.

My biggest complaint with it was the 100 round ready box. We'd jerry rig something usually to hold 200, but it really needs a larger ready box. With motorized turrets on the gun trucks now, you'd think that would be coming. Nothing like trying to stuff a ammo box between a gunners legs so he can reload as rounds are impacting the side of the vehicle.

I think in all my years I only saw a handful of the flash suppressors and they were laying in the back of vehicles or in arms rooms, never mounted.

If we're citing anecdotes, the Vickers MG in .303 was capable of putting effective fire onto target at something in the region of 4,000m, using map predicted fire.

Scopes are all about seeing the target. Usefully they tend to be easier to use, but they don't make the bullets hit closer to the point of aim or fly any faster.

YOu are referring to the MG from World War I?

My biggest complaint with it was the 100 round ready box.

I was under the ignorant civvie impression that the .50 cal Browning tended to overheat and have stoppages if you fired too many rounds through it at once. That much over 50 rounds and it was advised to let the weapon cool. Not to say a 200 round ammo box means you'd try firing all 200 rounds in a single burst.

I was under the ignorant civvie impression that the .50 cal Browning tended to overheat and have stoppages if you fired too many rounds through it at once. That much over 50 rounds and it was advised to let the weapon cool. Not to say a 200 round ammo box means you'd try firing all 200 rounds in a single burst.

Well we fired short bursts, but 100 rounds still goes, really, REALLY fast when in contact. And like I said, trying to stuff a full ammo can up the gunners hole, between his legs, made for some interesting conversation afterwards.

So it wasn't the matter of being able to let a 50 round burst go, but to just not have to reload as often. Whe I was a private we were on M-113's as recon vehicles, and we'd lay rounds out across the intake grill when on our qualification ranges. Just cause reloading took so much of our target exposure time(and we knew we wouldn't have to spin the gun around much). Even a skilled gunner would take 60-90 seconds to get a empty gun putting rounds down range.

This doesn't really pertain to CM:SF, but just obervations on a weapons system.

The above photograph seems to show the MG wearing ear protectors. Is it sensitive to noise? Also, the below photograph shows some water bottles next to the gun. Is this a water cooled version?

The lower pic also appears to have a baby MG clinging to the big gun's leg. Is this a mother gun protecting her young? If so, it's better not to get too close.

Yes we carried spare barrels for the M2, but who wants to climb out in front of the MG unscrew the red hot barrel, then screw in a new one, then try to count the clicks as you unscrew it for head space and timing purposes. I know I'd rather take it slow and steady and just keep the same barrel in. It's not like the button release on the M-60's, M-240's, ect.

Like all the MG's, after time a gunner gets used to it and can walk rounds in at longer ranges. I don't doubt that 1500m is doable but thats probably with a decent spotter helping. Hardest thing at that range is seeing round impacts to adjust to.

YOu are referring to the MG from World War I?

The Vickers MG went out of service with the British Army in the 1960s. It was replaced by the GPMG, which of course is stll in service (despite a batty idea that it could be replaced by the heavy barrelled version of the SA80).

Anyway the art of predicted MG fire was still taught in my time, using a GPMG on a tripod mount. I wonder if it still is, I doubt it, but one never knows.

Yes we carried spare barrels for the M2, but who wants to climb out in front of the MG unscrew the red hot barrel, then screw in a new one, then try to count the clicks as you unscrew it for head space and timing purposes.

Except of course with the newer QCB (quick change barrel) version, you don't need to headspace and time it when you change the barrel.