First impressions

Wow! Brits are a great addiction.

Only two things are disappointing: I have a glitch with shadows, they seem a saw, never seen before (Nvidia 9800GT with 190.38); and I really dislike the illumination when firing in dark scenarios (Piccadilly Circus is one), all houses are flashing no matter if there is a line of sight from the firer... please make this effect optional, I hate it.

CMSF is THE game :)

CptWasp,

Odd... we haven't changed anything with the graphics code for several builds now. I can't think of why it would all of a sudden stop working for you.

Shadows are optional already. You're the first one to complain about the illumination effect so I hate to say that doesn't bode well for us making a code change.

Glad things are good otherwise!

Steve

Battlefront: strange... I never noticed it before.

When a weapon fires it illuminates ALL the buildings; if the weapon has an high ROF it's tiring for the eye and visually ugly. This happens only in dark missions. I think it's a glitch, and maybe on ATI cards it works well...

Today I discovered a new, similar glitch!

Night scenario: an enemy tank is hit and burns. ALL the houses (from the direction of the burning tank) are lighted up, even very far from the source. If I move the camera out from the tank (the burning tank is no more in my view) ALL the houses revert to "dark" (it seems that the light source disappears suddenly). If I go back to the tank illumination suddenly returns.

I would say that the glitch is the same: it seems that the light has no "radius", it keeps the same intensity near and far. This never happened before.

When a weapon fires it illuminates ALL the buildings; if the weapon has an high ROF it's tiring for the eye and visually ugly.

hehe i have that too on my GTX275, but i wasnt bothered by it, as i figured it had to be the drivers. i have the 190.something drivers loaded, iam not in the mood to revert back right now, but i will mostly likely at a later point.

my Impressions in short;

- new hunt animation is fine but the new vehicles exit animation is even better!!!

- it seems soldiers can now board and exit vehicles without the vehicles unable to fire, awsome! at least i saw it working playing with BMP-2´s yesterday.

- new smoke hang time is great, feels much more natural, less artificial.

- dust/muzzleflash spotting fix, the best!

- i feel the rooftops are a little bit too "glassy" now. you can spot crawling man on a rooftop with high wall from 300 meters or more without them doing more then crawling. stationary "lookouts" on rooftops are absolutely impossible when you want them to be there long time and dont like to give a "?" counter to the enemy after about 1 to 2 min.

- i see TC´s are still staying unbuttoned after a full turn of incomming fire, i hoped this would be fixed at the same time as the humvee behaviour got tweaked. I hope this is catched for NATO maybe.

OK, looks like it's the new nVidia drivers. Gee... anybody here think I'm shocked to find that out? Anyone? No? Good, because I'm not :(

I don't know if there is anything we can do to fix this or not, but we'll take a look into it.

Steve

:)

Happy to know that this is only a driver issue, and not a CMSF problem. It is very annoying.

New animations are really OK.

• 3 months later...
OK, looks like it's the new nVidia drivers. Gee... anybody here think I'm shocked to find that out? Anyone? No? Good, because I'm not :(

I don't know if there is anything we can do to fix this or not, but we'll take a look into it.

Steve

That would explain why I've never seen it, I haven't had any reason to upgrade from 181.22 which seem to be the most stable drivers in a long time.

For the record I also have an NVidia 9800 GT, don't remember the driver offhand, and I am having a problem running large PBEM battles. About half the time the file won't run, "video card out of memory." Turning down all quality settings and/or a computer restart seems to help sometimes, but not always.

Sucks, huh?

If you guys at BFI can suggest a work-around, I'm very interested.

just to recap since I also had these issues up to recently.

1. in XP, NVIDIA drivers 186.18 is the last one which renders night illumination correctly. Nvidia changed something in the 190xxx series which screws up night illumination.

2. 186.18 also renders shadows correctly, nice and square.

3. there is also a persistent problem with reflections on certain tanks at certain times showing up as solid white stripes.

I solved all these issues by switching from a 8800 gt to a ATI 4890 card (catalyst 9.10) a few weeks ago, now issues #1 and #3 are fixed..;)

For the record I also have an NVidia 9800 GT, don't remember the driver offhand, and I am having a problem running large PBEM battles. About half the time the file won't run, "video card out of memory." Turning down all quality settings and/or a computer restart seems to help sometimes, but not always.

Sucks, huh?

If you guys at BFI can suggest a work-around, I'm very interested.

Is it video card or system memory?

I am also playing a huge PBEM game for a tournament, Red v Red, a battalion each side, using GeorgeMC's "Armour Attacks" map. Each turn file is between 40-45 MB each.

I can only get CMSF to run it if it is the first file I load after I start the game. If I try to run it after I have already played other PBEM turns, I will get a "out of memory" message while it is loading. This worked with my old 8800 gt which has 512 mb of onboard memory, but I have 2 GB of DDR 2 memory in my system (win XP).