Trying to like it, but not there yet...

Hi Guys

What scenarios would you recommend for a new guy to truly experience the good points of CMSF?

Since I've installed it on sunday, I played trough the training campaign, three quick battles and three times the same default small unit battle (one platoon vs. another over a small city centre, don't remember the name).

The impression I have right now is that on the US side, I always win - overhelming firepower from Strykers and Bradleys in Overwatch, Squads that quickly un-pin, Javelins and other assorted goodies to take out the trash with. Playing on "Veteran" level - medium difficulty - this is too easy.

OTOH, playing the Syrians is hell. In that small city battle scenario, you have squads you can't split, they get pinned and panick almost instantly, they never seem to spot the US troops even when being fired upon from across the street.

One side is too easy, the other too hard. May be realistic, but I guess there must be scenarios set to even out the playing field. Recommendations?

Few casualties for blue side often turn a victory in a defeat, regardless territorial objectives, in good designed scenarios; IMHO this is realistic.

With more advanced stuffs for red side with "Marines" module, i think is possible to have more balanced scenarios.

Saluti and sorry for my english...

I am prety sure that you'd enjoy almost anything done by a scenario designer called George Mc. He's made quite a few challenging missions. Names off the top of my head...

Al Amarah (comes with the game)

Hammertime

Rescue

Cry Havoc

Armour Attacks (BIG)

Just another day

You can find these at

www.CMMODS.com

you'll have to register to download anything but free and it's worth it.

I am prety sure that you'd enjoy almost anything done by a scenario designer called George Mc. He's made quite a few challenging missions. Names off the top of my head...

Al Amarah (comes with the game)

Hammertime

Rescue

Cry Havoc

Armour Attacks (BIG)

Just another day

You can find these at

www.CMMODS.com

you'll have to register to download anything but free and it's worth it.

Just played "Cry Havoc" last night and managed to get a Total Victory as the US on Elite setting. It wasn't a walk in the park though! Lost a couple of Bradleys and had about 22 KIA with around the same number of WIA.

George Mc's scenarios are definitely lots of fun!

The impression I have right now is that on the US side, I always win - overhelming firepower from Strykers and Bradleys in Overwatch, Squads that quickly un-pin, Javelins and other assorted goodies to take out the trash with. Playing on "Veteran" level - medium difficulty - this is too easy.

I played many an interesting battle during beta testing for the Marines module, because:

*) Javelins teams are rare (have to be assigned specifically, do not come with every other vehicle)

*) AAVs die very easily when exposed to RPG fire, as opposed to Strykers.

*) Less M1 tanks.

*) Hopefully more challenging mission design.

Best regards,

Thomm

Not to toot my own horn but the 3rd party Red-on-Red battle "King Copper Mines" in cmmods.com under the MikeyD listing may be a nice introduction. Meeting engagement. A combined arms battle with lots of armor to play with but not too overpowering, the forces are pretty well balanced, and that old Soviet cold war technology doesn't overwhelm the battlefield. And unlike 'Blue assault'-type scenarios the AI forces do a lot of scampering around during the game.

D'oh. I wanted to post a screenshot of the game but can't get my Photobucket site to open. :(

Welcome to a great game! Here are some of my favorites:

All of GeorgeMC's scenarios - all well balanced, fun, and plenty of vehicles.

Dawn Raiders

OPPW - infantry squads trying to make it up to an observation post.

Rock around the block - a difficult urban battle.

Fistful of doodads - a western style shootout.

Afghani Stan (mine :)) - for some special forces action.

The Curve (mine :)) - iraq convoy.

Death on the Sand (min :)) - 1991 gulf war tank battle, semi historical, but pretty easy.

Most of the single battles that came with the game are good.

Many more.

edit: can't forget mark ezra's scenarios. very good too.

For a real blue vs red challenge, try Hold the Line v3. This is one where you really just need to hold on for your dear life just to survive the onslaught. Same with Assault on Precinct 13.

Really though, I think your best bet is to download ALL OF THEM! There are a few that aren't all that great, but trust me, most of these missions are great in one way or the other. Just don't download my scenario "Zarqawi's Last Day". It's not too good unless you really hated that guy (like me).

As far as campaigns go, play ALL of them! Task force thunder, the one that came with the game, is easy but has some great battles. Also, In Search of a Ghost - a tough inf campaign. Hasrabit has some great missions. Perdition, I think, is being remade, so keep an eye out for that the next month or two.

I have every scenario on cmmods, and I would recommend 90% of them.

Welcome to a great game! Here are some of my favorites:

All of GeorgeMC's scenarios - all well balanced, fun, and plenty of vehicles.

Dawn Raiders

OPPW - infantry squads trying to make it up to an observation post.

Rock around the block - a difficult urban battle.

Fistful of doodads - a western style shootout.

Afghani Stan (mine :)) - for some special forces action.

The Curve (mine :)) - iraq convoy.

Death on the Sand (min :)) - 1991 gulf war tank battle, semi historical, but pretty easy.

Most of the single battles that came with the game are good.

Many more.

edit: can't forget mark ezra's scenarios. very good too.

For a real blue vs red challenge, try Hold the Line v3. This is one where you really just need to hold on for your dear life just to survive the onslaught. Same with Assault on Precinct 13.

Really though, I think your best bet is to download ALL OF THEM! There are a few that aren't all that great, but trust me, most of these missions are great in one way or the other. Just don't download my scenario "Zarqawi's Last Day". It's not too good unless you really hated that guy (like me).

As far as campaigns go, play ALL of them! Task force thunder, the one that came with the game, is easy but has some great battles. Also, In Search of a Ghost - a tough inf campaign. Hasrabit has some great missions. Perdition, I think, is being remade, so keep an eye out for that the next month or two.

I have every scenario on cmmods, and I would recommend 90% of them.

"The Curve" is a great one - Tough SOB -

Do you advise dismounting early?