Campaign TF Narwick

Point targeting also works (usually) and is best for those buildings where you know the enemy is waiting. I used General ordnance. I don't think Personnel is all that effective against buildings, but not sure.

I also find the TOWs on the Bradleys are particularly effective, as well as Javelins and of course, the M1A1s. Follow those with a twin inf + Brad assault (one blasting through the nearest compound wall - take a couple of Brads with you to backup your squads- the other going in carefully through the first entrance.)

Smoke's useful too, as there are still some atgms and rpgs about.

At the same time you can send a couple of M1A1's and Brads to deal with the Scud site. Leave a couple of Brads and the snipers overwatching the village, to take out anything that tries to come out of there.

When all that's done there's only the storage site, which you should still be able to demolish with remaining artillery, tanks and missiles. At that point I got a surrender and Total Victory.

Good luck, CB et al!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mission 6 is easier - though you can still get caught out in the early stages if you're not careful. It's a really good battle, but you've got more than adequate forces at your command to see it through.

I'm about to start 7. By all reports it's a b*****

[ March 08, 2008, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: handihoc ]

Mission 5 had a bug for me, finally defeated everything, but didnt get the CW factory points, no enemy left alive there. Not sure where you have to be to trigger the points. And same for the scud site, didnt get the points there either, altough I did touch it the green mark, rode around on it, jumped on it, everything, it didnt trigger for me. So I got minor defeat arggghhh..

All in all very nice campaign so far, but this seems to be a show stopper.

Don't know why that's happening. It sounds like a bug, yes. But it IS possible to get total victory in this battle. Hard, but possible.

And, as I said, in the update a minor victory will be enough to move you forward.

To get the CW factory points I think (not totally sure) you have to occupy the building where the CW designation is.

[ March 09, 2008, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: handihoc ]

Originally posted by handihoc:

Mission 6 is easier - though you can still get caught out in the early stages if you're not careful. It's a really good battle, but you've got more than adequate forces at your command to see it through.

I'm about to start 7. By all reports it's a b*****

just given mission 7 a quick go and yep it's nasty =( think I might get a few casualties in this mission as those ATGMs hurt bad.

Yes, this one sure is a toughie. I've taken severe damage. Had to revert to saves more than once, even though I'd promised myself not to do that any more. It's ATGM hell out there!

I think I may need to restart and try out a whole different strategy. The enemy has such damned good LOS from hidden positions. Very deadly.

It's gotta be a restart. Damn difficult this one. Enemies everywhere. I'm thinking patience may be the better part of valour here. Going to go in very very slowly while pounding the town with every available air and artillery asset provided.

Anybody else completed 7?

There's no update yet. Bardosy's waiting for feedback on the full campaign so as to make all necessary changes in one swoop.

The current version is highly recommended, though v challenging in places. It's on CMODS. Get it now and have fun, or postpone the fun and wait a couple of weeks. Whichever you choose, I think you'll be fully rewarded.

It's not a bug! It's a feature... ;)

These two objective (Scud and CW factory) is not touch objective, but occupy. So you have not jump on it, but leave a single soldier on it. Or a humvee... or any useless unit.

But in the next version (1.1) there will be only one occupy object (CW factory), all others will be touchable.

It's gotta be a restart. Damn difficult this one. Enemies everywhere. I'm thinking patience may be the better part of valour here. Going to go in very very slowly while pounding the town with every available air and artillery asset provided.

Anybody else completed 7?

I just finished 7 which I think is Ambush. To me this one has been the hardest so far and my losses were heavy but still pulled out a minor I believe. I advanced to #8 anyway which I havn't started yet. I was afraid of a restart but lucked out. Lost numerous Brad's and both M1's to the damn ATGM's. I was not my usual careful attacker in this one.

This campaign has been loads of fun!

# 5 is tough but I got a major with some losses and a surrender. I blasted a breach in the CW wall closest to the start zone and just put everything in there as it was available. I kept a few Brad's as overwatch on my left.

I never used air or arty in the CW, just Brad's and eventually M1's and pounded the CW endlessly. I pounded the SCUD sites with air/arty latter and once CW was 100% captured this caused the auto surrender. I lost maybe 6 or so Brad's though this and various infantry. Nothing compared to my losses in # 7 though... Yikes.

Thought I should add I play in RT too.

[ March 10, 2008, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: jhdeerslayer ]

There's no update yet. Bardosy's waiting for feedback on the full campaign so as to make all necessary changes in one swoop.

The current version is highly recommended, though v challenging in places. It's on CMODS. Get it now and have fun, or postpone the fun and wait a couple of weeks. Whichever you choose, I think you'll be fully rewarded.

Got it! ;)

-

Still trying to beat mission 7 :( So far i've realised trying to advance on the left of the highway is suicide. I'm now trying to push into the town on the right and trying to keep my guys out of LOS of the ATGMs. I've currently got a foot hold in the city however I've lost a few bradleys and squads to ATGM fire pushing in. Will pick up later and see if I can push on through to the suspected sites clear them of ATGMs and rescue my officers. Time is ticking and I'm not hopefully. has anyone else cleared this mission and want to share some hints?

Originally posted by bardosy:

> Scenario 5 had a deployment zone but it's very close to the RPG laden CW factory complex... and a Tank!

I don't understand. There is a setup zone in that mission. If you want you can pull back your units in the setup phase.

I didn't change the setup zone that mission, because I thought you like it. What is your suggestion in mission 5?

Well in this case I didn't mind starting so close to the CW factory as i could imagine being rushed for political reasons... besides I just launched dozens of TOW's pre-emptively until the CW complex was a ruined mess.

However there is a static tank that can shoot at the rear of your deployment zone (the first time I played the battle this caught out my reinforcements... was that intended), I dealt with this through a small Javelin armed unit but it does seem unlikely that your units would rush by a tank without spotting it.

I'd either keep the tank in its current location but write a label on the map... or move it slightly further around the CW complex (this would have the added benefit of punishing any early outflanking moves).

Either way I definitely liked the mission! Indeed I've enjoyed everyone so far (I've just finished #7).

Originally posted by Darkmage:

Still trying to beat mission 7 :( So far i've realised trying to advance on the left of the highway is suicide. I'm now trying to push into the town on the right and trying to keep my guys out of LOS of the ATGMs. I've currently got a foot hold in the city however I've lost a few bradleys and squads to ATGM fire pushing in. Will pick up later and see if I can push on through to the suspected sites clear them of ATGMs and rescue my officers. Time is ticking and I'm not hopefully. has anyone else cleared this mission and want to share some hints?

You can push on the left and I did so with my first platoon of Bradley's however you MUST keep as close as possible to the raised highway... this move safely secured my officers though I suffered casualties attempting to take on the ATGM positions with my dismounted guys.

The rest of the battle involved me sending platoons one at a time into the city (I can only really concentrate on one platoon at a time)... infantry loaded up with Javelins occupied the heights of buildings, any spotted enemy units were soon hit with TOW's (fighting was still incredibly fierce I had one Bradley immobilized by FOUR RPG's hitting it point blank in the rear).

All artillery & most of my Javelins were concentrated on the enemy ATGM positions & once I felt that the enemy had been gutted I brought in the Abrams.

The enemy surrendered for a Total Victory with a few minutes to go... I'd fired virtually every TOW!

Still I suffered 50 casualties & lost 4 Bradley's.

[ March 10, 2008, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: 37mm ]

Darkmage:

My suggestion for mission 7:

1., Use predefined arty srtike on closer ATGM pos.

2., Use smoke to cover the setup position and try to left the highway soon.

3., All units to the right.

3., Use brads to supress fire to the buildings near the closest buildings and unload inf with Javelin and occupy the closest buildings top floors.

4., Take position with units on right flank and wait (don't advance). Shoot to every known or suspected enemy units and positions. Use arty and F-15 continously on two ATGM pos. And use Brads to destroy the other enemies on the town. (Wait for the reinforcement)

5., Save the reinforcement (with smoke) and left the highway soon.

6., Advance with reinf very careful! House by house. Try to keep close to the highway (don't try to enter small ambushes in the far end of the town) but avoide from the main ATGM positions.

7., When two F-15 destroy comletly most of ATGM positions. Overrun it with infantry.

That's it.

Oh, BTW: Try to save those officers!

I used a Brad with lot of smoke and godspeed.

But syrian MGs will come in the middle of time and they can kill the officers and it's a lot of point to the Syrians.

Ops! That could be nervious...

But it could be happen some good to in this mission: I just position my units and once a suicide bomber car coming... A Brad started shoot it and it's blowed up and killed lot of thought siraians, who are waiting for me... :D

F-15 caused problems me in campaign Ghost 1st mission. ;) Same problem.

They colled it "friendly fire", but I called it "bloody murder". smile.gif JK.

Hurrah - made it through Mission 7 last night - only lost two Bradleys. The F-15 flyboys were bang on target this time. A vehicle IED was taken out amidst some Technicals :D

Just the briefing for Mission 8 frighted me - and then I saw the map ;)

[ March 13, 2008, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: Melnibone ]

Finally completed mission 7. What a massive struggle! Got a total victory, but only after reverting to saves several times. Still had 26 men dead (one entire squad wiped out by a mis-aimed F15 bomb) and 6 vehicles destroyed. The Syrians were just fanatical- and extremely devious - in their defence.

Bloody hell, I'm exhausted. Time for a cuppa.

Some feedback from someone running CMSF on a slightly lesser machine (1.5GHz Dual core, 1 GB RAM) - After battling my way all the way to "Suburb Hamah", I've had to give up. The game has been reduced to 1 frame every 10 seconds in this scenario. The huge numbers of vehicles and long lines of sight are probably the cause...

I've really enjoyed the battles that I've played up to this point, but have one or two small suggestions. In a few battles, reinforcements appear in regions that are under LOS of enemy units - nice fireworks when it's enemy BMP's under fire from my M1's...but it shouldn't happen.

Secondly, some of the maps are very, very flat. Some small variations in the elevation across the map would add to the realism, and give the player a few more options.

A great, challenging campaign - a pity I had to give up before the end.

Sorry!

I created this campaign in my previous PC, and I completed the official campaign (TF Thunder) on that same machine. And when I create missions, I try to keep the LAG-problems under the official campaign, because I thought, all player finished the official campaign.

In my PC the two last official missions was much more laggy then my missions. But I really understand you, because I had to buy a new PC...

Your suggestions:

1., I guess you think about mission 2 (Azaz gap). I know it. And I studied it. In next time I'll not make this same mistake.

But the other missions (like Crossroads) I changed it (hide better the enemy's reinforcement) and I will publish it in the next version.

2., I create the maps from real maps. And this region is so flat. Or more flat. Because - for the better gameplay - I created elevations just for fun.

Thank you for your feedback!