Campaign TF Narwick

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seabee: yes, you have to win better then minor. Are you sure there is no something between minor and total? (I'm in the office and campaign structure file is at home, so I have to check it).

I have to confess, I had no time to retest every mission in 1.07, so I tested mission 5 with 1.05. But I can imagine how difficult this mission with 1.07. What is your suggestion? May I change to wining limit down to minor? Or you have any other changing suggestion to soften up the mission?

I played the mission 3 in 1.07 at weekend and it was much harder then before (1.05). So I belive you, if you tell, it's impossible to win higher then minor.

Originally posted by handihoc:

*****SPOILER!!*****

Hmm, I gotta disagree somewhat with The Warrior on Mission 2. I found it a bit of a turkey shoot.

Those Abrams are so powerful, all you have to do (all I did, anyway) is sit 'em on the crest of the nearest dune and wait, and they'll pick of everything that shows up, before it even gets a shot off. So I felt like a bit of a spectator in that one. Didn't feel challenged at all, and didn't lose a single trooper.

However, Mission 3 is a different story. You anticipated my gambit perfectly, damn you! My engineers blasted through the perimeter wall and walked straight into an ambush. Seconds later the entire squad was dead. Ouch!

Meantime, snipers picked off my two Humvee machinegunners in the second minute. Ouch again! Result: have to start again.

I love it when I feel I've been outwitted by the designer. It tells me I've underestimated my opponent, and need to get my brain cells into another gear. So Mission 3 is shaping up to be a very tough one.

March on!

LOL. Yea I had the same hard luck in mission three too. I tried the same plan too. :eek:

Originally posted by bardosy:

Seabee: yes, you have to win better then minor. Are you sure there is no something between minor and total? (I'm in the office and campaign structure file is at home, so I have to check it).

I have to confess, I had no time to retest every mission in 1.07, so I tested mission 5 with 1.05. But I can imagine how difficult this mission with 1.07. What is your suggestion? May I change to wining limit down to minor? Or you have any other changing suggestion to soften up the mission?

I played the mission 3 in 1.07 at weekend and it was much harder then before (1.05). So I belive you, if you tell, it's impossible to win higher then minor.

I think I'm just going to have to rethink my strategy on this one. I spent most of the mission time trying to secure the chemical factory (that was a tough nut to crack). Then I have very little time left to get the other objectives, so I had to race my guys over there to try to get some points. I took control of 3 of the objectives, and skipped one (the barracks I think), although I did have a vehicle in the green area. Do I have to remain in the green area until the end of the mission or can I just touch it. At least one of the objectives let me just touch it, while the others did nothing when I touched it.

More time would be cool, other than that I just need to know which objectives are what kind, and I need to rethink my strategy accordingly.

I'll get back to you...

Seabee: I solve that mission with paralel tactics. I used two platoon and few Bradley to clear the factory room by room, very slowly and careful. And the other platoons quick capture the village, the SCUD site... One Abrams eliminate the SAM site and I destroyed with arty the "storage". Then I have to finish the factory. But it's true: the factory is the hardest part of this mission.

If I collect other suggestions/ideas and handihoc do few changes in the briefings, I will publish a new 1.1 version.

So you DON'T suggest to change the win-limit to MINOR victory? BUT rise the time with 10-15 minutes?

Mission 4 is cool. I'm halfway through, and it's pretty tough, dense urban fighting with lots of nasty surprises.

I think I've got it covered, but you can never be sure till it's over, and I imagine bardosy has some more surprises set up for the final minutes - in fact, the briefing suggests as much, so it's cautious progress.

Back into it later today.

I'm in the middle of mission 4.

When I tested it last time (1.05) it was not so "action-movie" like this. Fine!

My first lesson was to break out from the two main street where my forces was jammed. So my troopers infiltrate to the paralel streets.

And when Syrians got pick-up reinforcements, the game started LAG, so I have to change lower the graphical settings.

Fortunatley I did't lost any vehicle yet. Just immobile two. But in the first try I lost half of my force in the fist minute by a suicide bomber.

bardosy, I'm interested to know how this works from a designer's point of view. You speak as if you don't know what to expect, or where the enemy is situated, even though you designed the battle.

How is this? I've not looked at designing, but it seems to me that the designer would have God-like knowledge of where the enemy is, and what weaponry is at it's disposal, and so wouldn't really get the same experience as a player, like me, who has no familiarity at all.

I've seen other designers saying more or less the same as you ie they play their own battles and really seem to enjoy them and find them challenging.

So how does that work?

When I test a mission: Yes. But now I forgot everything. smile.gif When I start retest the whole campaign with 1.06/07 I remember only the last (10th) mission. But now I didn't know what enbemy units are on map and where.

So everything is suprise me too! :D

I think, if you design a single mission, it's different.

Honestly, I have some extra info, what is impossible to forgot (eg. minefields). Err, it's not a good example, because I forgot the minefield in mission 3 (airfield)... but fortunatly I didn't run into it, but when I finish that mission, I read an AAR about this mission and the author ran into that minefiled, what I forgot.

So, the truth is I remember mainly where are the enemy, but - eg. in the mission 4 - I was suprised: I thought I didn't put enemies in a house, but defenetly there was... smile.gif

I can enjoy my own missions (but it's better if I wait a month and THEN try again.)

Edit:

Plus, the new AI (1.07) is much more challanging, then 1.05...

Yes, in the airfield mission I lost two Bradleys and a Humvee to those mines. Very cleverly placed. You really anticipated my moves well.

btw I've been through the briefings again and corrected errors. I won't send them back yet, I'd like to check them again when I'm further into the campaign. If you want them earlier, let me know.

No. I think it's OK if you (and me) play through (again) the whole campaign before release a new version.

I have to check what Seabee suggested about SCUD mission.

If you have any idea how we (you) could insert info (what Seabee needed) into the briefing, please do it! I mean he wanted info about objectives: touch or occupy. In my opinion it's very difficult to inform the player if we keep the style of briefings.

Bardosy,

My suggestions are to add a bit more time, so slow pokes like me can be all tactical. Also, it would be nice to know what I need to hold and what I need to just touch (is that already in the briefing? Can't remember). AND... I played that mission for the third time... :( , still no total victory. :( Isn't a minor victory still a victory???

Handihoc,

Playing your own missions is fun because the ai doesn't always do exactly what you designed. In "the curve" and "afghani stan", the ai did some things that surprised me, so I had fun.

I've just been beaten on the SCUD mission... I suppose more time would be appreciated but, as I can imagine being under severe time constraints with the whole Turkish government behind my back, I say keep the strict deadline.

Overall this campaign has so far featured brilliant scenarios (elements of mission 4 reminded me of what I've read of Curly, Larry & Moe) though there are some reoccurring minor irritations... in many of the scenarios so far I've been forced to start in positions where my boys then get instantly whacked. This is usually considered annoying at the best of times but in many scenarios I can't even change the deployment locations!

Like I say, brilliant scenarios but you might want to change that particular 'feature' of them... even so I'm looking forward to beating the SCUDS this next time!

Seabee: OK, I added more ten minutes to the one hour and I changed the win level to minor victory. (The original level was not total, but major victory). But you right! Minor victory is also a victory.

In the next version, it will be changed. Sorry.

37mm: Thanks for the feedback! I will add setup zones to every scenario.

[ February 27, 2008, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: bardosy ]

Finished 4. Got a total victory. Great battle.

******SPOILER ALERT!!!*******

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hugely enjoyable urban fighting (though the later stages did give me a lot of lag). Some really well placed enemies caused me quite a few problems for a while. But in the end, overwhelming firepower for the US ensured a relatively easy victory.

I think it would benefit from a significantly bigger Syrian armoured counterattack at the end. From the briefing I was expecting quite a few tanks, but in fact only got 3BDRMs, which I incinerated pdq.

You could even bring Syrian tanks in earlier, get them set up in advantageous positions. As it was, I had my Abrams squadron sitting on Crossroads 1 waiting for anything that showed its face.

Now on to number 5 . . .

37mm - don't understand how you got instantly whacked at the beginning. I haven't found that in any of the missions so far. It's taken at least a minute (WEGO) before I encountered anything. Mission One, I did spot enemies within the first minute, but they weren't in a position to do me any harm until I advanced.

*SPOLIERS*

Scenario 3 began with a RR firing into my sole Bradley... eventually it got so annoying that I 'cheated' and began reacting to it without actually spotting it.

Scenario 4 begins with guys in the middle of the steet... Syrian small arms fire caused me a casualty before they could all get into the nearest buildings.

Scenario 5 had a deployment zone but it's very close to the RPG laden CW factory complex... and a Tank!

Scenario 3, I did get fired on by snipers in the first turn, but they were only effective because I'd opened up my Humvees. When I replayed it, they fired on the buttoned Humvees, but had no effect.

The Bradley spotted the missile team before they fired, and suppressed them. But I see your point, yes. It's true, I was under fire instantly - in all the excitement I'd forgotten this.

Scenario 4. My men got to the nearest building without casualties. However, I lost two on the next turn as I moved them forward along the street. My fault, but again, yes, it would've been better had they had the option to start the mission in a building.

Anyway, Bardosy's taken note and is making required adjustments.

Hey man, Seabee... It's impossible!!! I started the mission 5 yesterday and it's extremly hard with 1.07. Sorry bro!

In the first minute I lost two Bradley. The I blow up the closect wall section and infiltrate with engineer platoon: two squad completly destroyed INSIDE of the buildings. I did everything same as in 1.05 and happened completly different. (That's the challenge handihoc!)

Sorry Seabee! ;) Now I know what did you say.

handihoc:

> though the later stages did give me a lot of lag

Same at my machine too. I had to lower the graphical settings.

> I think it would benefit from a significantly bigger Syrian armoured counterattack at the end.

I don't know what happened (I finish this mission yesterday too) and there was no tank counterattack... I checked the mission in editor and THERE ARE a tank reinforcement on syrian side.

My guess is the US forces eliminate all syrian resistance BEFORE the tanks arrive. But I'm not sure. I didn't find this before: in 1.05 I could completly eliminate all syrian units, if they have reinforcement, they didn't surrend. Maybe it's a feature.

But I know what I will do: those BRDMs I will redeploy in covered area (behind the houses) and maybe they can resists until tanks arrive.

37mm:

Hey, I agree with you about mission 3, but not about mission 4.

I put setup zones to every mission - as you suggested - except the first one. But in mission 4 it's necessary to stay US troops on street, because they arrive at street. OK. I left you very thin space in buildings, but I think, it's not too fun. I didn't got small arms fire in the first minute, just when I arrive to close to the crossroads.

> Scenario 5 had a deployment zone but it's very close to the RPG laden CW factory complex... and a Tank!

I don't understand. There is a setup zone in that mission. If you want you can pull back your units in the setup phase.

I didn't change the setup zone that mission, because I thought you like it. What is your suggestion in mission 5?