Campaign TF Narwick

bardosy - yes, it would be a good idea to do something to stiffen the resistance in the later stages so that the Syrian armour does make an appearance. Maybe more hidden ATGMs? It's a great battle, but slightly anti-climactic at the end. It needs something to worry those Abrams.

Having said that, it's just struck me that although I'm crowing about Total Victories here and elsewhere, the truth is that I usually get a Total Victory after having restarted. ie, in the early stages of several battles I've taken punishment and had to restart, then gone on to Total Victory, which is slightly unrealistic. Without the restart, I'd probably have had less to boast about.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished the 8th scenario. After 3 hours of playing i just had to restart and start with a fresh plan. Momentum is critical in this big

Inf+trenches or otherwise heavy positions are hellish things to beat with 1.07. I had to push with 3 bradley platoons into the city to get enough firebase for my soft troops. That was the easy part, i tried to push into smaller town from its flank (wanted to avoid trench warfare). 6 Abrams blasting at soft targets finally yeilded me couple of clean routes into the hellhole.

Artillery feels pretty useless currently, 122mm howizers barely scratched my enemy. Even some troops at rooftops survived solid WW1 like barrages.

Number five is very tough. I'm really struggling. I'm trying to play a full scenario without restarting or reverting to an earlier save due to losses, and this one is putting me to the test.

A way to go yet, but some great firefights and a couple of incidents that, thought they didn't go according to plan, felt very real in the heat of the moment. For instance, an assault squad blasted through a compound wall, ran for cover in a building, spotted an enemy tank side on, unwisely took an opportunity shot with inf ATs, missed, tank swung its turret and. . . very painful.

Shouldn't have happened, but I can imagine, in the heat of battle, an over-zealous squad leader making that decision, and living long enough to regret it.

I think you've done a great job with this campaign, bardosy. Updating it with just a few little tweaks will make it a classic.

Just finished the first 2 missions, very enjoyable smile.gif I like the idea of having your little recon force and then rest of the company coming up when you've pinpointed the enemy locations.

I found the 2nd mission quite easy though I just had my Abrams crest the hill and any incoming tanks were taken out well before they got within effective range. Perhaps a few ATGM teams could mix things up a bit?

Finished mission 5. Very hard - but that's not in any way a bad thing. Very enjoyable. An excellent scenario!

I took relatively heavy losses and only scored a minor victory, which means having to do it again.

I agree with Seabee that a minor victory is a victory, and should automatically move the player on to the next mission. Don't feel it needs more time, though.

I had a blast playing this. The balance is just right. Great mix of room to room and open air fighting. I made the decision to play through without reverting to saves or restarts, which is why I only got minor victory (I think). Much more realistic this way, having to continue despite your losses. Some squads were virtually wiped out (17 dead in total), others got rattled and refused to move after a couple of particularly hairy encounters. Some great ambushes by the Syrians. Deadly snipers, atgms, and hidden squads. Very well positioned. I loved it, but having to play it again after a victory is a bit annoying.

Originally posted by handihoc:

Wow! Totally ferocious battle (mission 3). One of the best I've played. I got Total Victory in the end, and didn't need the Apache or final wave of reinforcements. Won with 14 minutes to spare, but it was a hell of a fight! Excellent.

CB, I'll let you know when I get there.

have to agree just finished mission 3 and it was a toughy smile.gif ended up with about 10 killed and 30 wounded, 1 bradley lost. Had to resort to destroying enemy hard points with TOW missiles.

bardosy, from my point of view you shouldn't make the scenarios any easier, just because 1.07 provides a tougher opponent. I'm really enjoying the challenge of these missions. The fact that they are tough is what spurs me to keep fighting.

I'm winning, but at a cost, and in a way that obliges me to think carefully about my tactics and about the loss of individual men under my command. That's what I really like.

I've never been in a combat zone (apart from when I was married) but as an authentic representation of real life combat, I totally believe we should be made to fight for every inch of territory. After all, regardless of motive/politics/ideologies etc, this game is about a sovereign nation defending itself against more powerful invaders. We shouldn't expect to find it easy.

Hey guys!

Finally I finished mission 5 with total victory, but I use save/load options... In the 30th minutes I occupy every objective except the CW factory. This is a hell. Finally I can eliminate the syrians in that building where the objective are. And then I stop my guys. I didn't want more losses and I ruled the all objectives.

Then the next mission (Ebla) was very easy after this inferno. But now in mission 7 is also hard enough. In 1.05 I could save those officers in the first phase, because the highway was covered me. Not now... :( But I agree with handihoc, it's more fun. I have to restart this mission with new and careful plan.

Yeah. Thoose guy in CW factory are extremly motivated syrian commandos. They didn't affraid from a "little iron rain"...

I'm in the middle of misson 7. I spent a few hours yesterday. It's hard, but I think (hope) I stabilize the situation: I rescue the officers, destroy (with F-15s) the possible ATGM locations and capture the houses in the side of town. Today I'll follow to advance into the town and clear it...

*SPOILERS*

My own personal recipe for mission 5 was to silence the nuisance attacks on the left flank and then devote almost all of my infantry into clearing the area around the CW factory. Even though it's the toughest nut to crack, it's also the closest, so you're less exposed to flank fire. It's also the biggest payoff.

Used as much artillery as I could to beat down the opposition in that area. Very tough infantry presence. Moved support Abrams and Bradleys in VERY CAREFULLY. If it wasn't for the 155 support, I doubt I could have cleaned out that nest without heavy vehicle losses.

Used what little time was left to hit a few distant identified targets with the Abrams and then collected a Total Victory when time ran out.

I just finished mission 7 (Ambush) yesterday evening. I lost more men and vehicle, then in mission 5.

But I think the key of this mission: smoke, smoke and more smoke. I used more smoke then rockets.

Once a BMP go into a crater (what caused by a suiced bomber) and when this BMP try to come out from the crater - same method as in movie 'Battle of Bulge' by Savalas - my Bradley hit this BMP's lower side. smile.gif I liked it.

But Syrian AT guys was extremly thought. I had no chance to close them, so F-15s soften up them.

I think the success perameters for the CW mission are flawed. I to have tried every strategy and have been successful (I thought)except it only gives me a draw or minor victory and I can't go to the next mission. The author needs to change this or the campaign is useless. This is a fun campaign but what does it matter if it can't be finished. This isn't dungeons and dragons for christ sake where you get to go to the next level. I was hoping for some reallity and this mission ruins it. You can probably tell I just finished it for the 6th or 7th time only to get to play again with less men. I QUIT, whats the point?

Originally posted by G B Scurlock:

The author needs to change this or the campaign is useless. This is a fun campaign but what does it matter if it can't be finished.

Better too hard than too easy in my view. This is war not tiddlywinks. ;) I would not change a thing in that mission - one of the most memorable I have played in CMSF.

Originally posted by Melnibone:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by G B Scurlock:

The author needs to change this or the campaign is useless. This is a fun campaign but what does it matter if it can't be finished.

Better too hard than too easy in my view. This is war not tiddlywinks. ;) I would not change a thing in that mission - one of the most memorable I have played in CMSF. </font>

You are right, it is not tiddlywinks but it's not war either, its a game. If it were war air power would be used to turn the place into a crater before any troops were committed. Congrats to you as you must have moved on to the next mission. I just want to do that to. My last attempt gave the red force 400 points for enemy casualty level and I had 9 killed and 27 wounded. I was satisfied with those levels based on the difficulty of this mother. Now I get to play again for the umteenth time with my deminished force against a fully rejuvinated enemy. Fun, I think not.

Mission 5: CW factory and Scud site etc -

The author, bardosy, has changed it for a future update, making a minor victory a win so you can progress to the next mission. It'll be released soon, when he's taken into account feedback for the whole campaign and made any other relevant changes.

I had to play it twice to win, but actually, second time is relatively easy. You already know the enemy positions - simply go for total demolition: blast the buildings/locations with heavy weapons, missiles, artillery etc. Then mop up survivors with your inf and Brads. It works a treat.

Glad to hear Bardosy is updating it.

Knowing that some people have finished the CW mission makes me want to beat it as is! But I have pounded that place to hell and back, focusing only on the factory. I then tried to blow everything to rubble with everything else I had. The problem is that I can't see the buildings where the enemy is until I get right up to point blank range. And I have a feeling that the artillery did almost nothing to the enemy.

I have been using the regular artillery rounds: Should I be using the anti-personnel rounds? I was using the regular ones in hopes that I would knock down some buildings, but only one was heavily damaged. I might have to give this another go, just to say I beat that F'n mission before it was changed. :D