a module french army ?

RommL

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd LOVE French Army module, all those cool big gun ACs rolling around. Heck, I'd settle for the Lebanese Army making an appearance just to see their AML ACs and M113 APCs! Which side would Lebanon be fighting, though? These days the government would be with the Allies against Syria, but if its Hezbollah militia it'd be with the Syrians against the allies. Hmmm...

I'm afraid history may not be on our side for the French module. BFC's been hinting about a fat NATO module, and DeGaulle made a point of keeping France out of NATO :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

How likely would France be to commit to a war in Syria I guess is the ultimate question. In addition to the question of how likely is it that Steve will get a free set of camouflage fatigues for his collection?

I understand , but they can't put France in the blue camp under the flag of ONU ?

I think to a large degree the modules are being determined by sales potential. The U.S. is obviously Battlefronts biggest customer. The U.K. customers are the next we were once told. The potential Dutch/German/Canadian module covers alot of ground and sales using a lot of the same equipment. The French would entail a whole new set of vehicles and the work to go with it and I don't think French sales were ever strong. My only surprise is that there won't be a Finnish Module. ;)

By the way, one interesting historical tidbit about the Légion Étrangère is that in the years right after 1945, between 35-50% of its membership (depending on sources) was made up of former german soldiers. I am sure a lot of former SS troopers found it a convenient place to be forgotten.

Originally posted by Sgt.Joch:

By the way, one interesting historical tidbit about the Légion Étrangère is that in the years right after 1945, between 35-50% of its membership (depending on sources) was made up of former german soldiers. I am sure a lot of former SS troopers found it a convenient place to be forgotten.

One of them served in our regiment here. I understand he's in hospital right now. Was a fallschirmjäger, then Foreign Legion, then Canadian Army. I think he was denied veterans benefits in Germany, so the story goes, and was so pissed off he boxed all his medals and mailed them back to the government there. He wore German parachute wings on his Canadian Army uniform but none of his other decorations.

Given CM:SF's hypothetical casus belli, multiple dirty bomb attacks in European population centers, I would say the French would be about as likely to participate in any multinational coalition response as any other European nation.

I agree that French forces and equipment would be a very interesting addition. As noted, though, from a Marketing standpoint, since they share comparatively less equipment with other Western powers, my guess is that their inclusion is less likely. If BFC does UK forces as the primary additional for module I, and then Germans as the primary addition for Module II, they basically get the Canadians and Dutch and probably a few nations for free.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

How likely would France be to commit to a war in Syria I guess is the ultimate question. In addition to the question of how likely is it that Steve will get a free set of camouflage fatigues for his collection?

With Sarko in power it wouldn't be that rare.

Originally posted by Vanir Ausf B:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the story behind CMSF involve a UN authorized intervention? If so French participation would be almost certain as they are a permanant member of the UNSC and have many historical ties to Syria.

it is true that beginning of CMSF strats thus. ;)

the France is member of the united nations and if an important confict burst , the France would align with US and free nations. :D look in 1991 the Daguet division was present in Irak. ;)