What do you "expect" CMx2 to be like?

I thought I'd start a thread on this topic as I'm sure everyone has some idea about what CMx2 will be like, but I bet no two people's ideas are exactly the same.

I'll start the ball rolling: -

CMx1 showed 3 figures for a squad, and 1 for a team. In CMx2, 3 figures acting together (maybe even with a base you can toggle on or off like in CMx1) will instead represent part of a squad, on a 1 figure = 1 man scale. Thus, a WWII German rifle squad might have 3 "bases", 1 for the LMG plus a couple of riflemen, 1 for a manoeuvre base consisting of mainly riflemen, and 1 for the squad leader (MP40) and his aids (couple of riflemen).

Once this design decision is considered, you can extrapolate quite a lot from it. For one, because we are now focusing on smaller units, the terrain will probably need to scale up. Thus, a building in CMx2 will be 2 or 3 times more detailed than in CMx1.

The big change from CMx1 will be that an HQ (now usually a squad leader rather than a platoon leader) can be ordered to take his men towards an objective, and he will give his own AI orders to each team in his squad. This will mean teams will alternately move and cover each other in a staggered fashion.

Apart from these admittedly big changes, I expect a lot of carry over from CMx1, such as in the orders menu system etc.

Anyone have any other ideas? I realise this is idle speculation, but that's all we've got until we get some screenshots or more information.

Rather than flog long dead horses relating to gameplay, I'll venture a wish as to visual "look and feel" for the new game.

In addition to stunning 2000 pixel 3D renditions of infantry in their camouflage, complete with authentic helmet covers, unit badges, sweatstains and five days of beard growth, I'd hope to see them "reacting" like men in combat, not like mannequins in a Christmas window display.

Infantry in combat don't stand like statues pumping rounds into the enemy. They keep their heads down, they run bent double, they flinch and duck when shot at, or after they shoot. Some simple "body language" would add a great deal to the visual appeal and "grit" of the game and place it well in front of even the slickest FPS.

This doesn't have to be a RAM buster. Use the Hanna Barbera rule -- not every figure in the picture needs to be moving at once. About a dozen basic movements, mainly in the head and shoulders, combined randomly, would create a good effect. A figure leans forward and raises his head and rifle slightly, peering out, then returns to the previous pose. A kneeling figure rises to a half crouch, advances a step, then kneels again. etc. etc.

Otherwise, for all the astounding detail in the wireframes, the overall effect will be "Attack of the Clones" (and you know how bad THAT movie was). A breeze ruffling the leaves in the light of the setting sun will not compensate for the wooden impassivity of the figures.

My three cents worth. Pipe dream maybe. It's OK, I'll buy the games anyway.

To clarify what I was getting at in my original post, I believe CMx2 will feel like you've zoomed into CMx1 and cranked up the graphical detail to compensate. I don't expect photo realism or radically altered gameplay. I would love to be proved wrong, but various posts have led me to believe we shouldn't set our hopes too high.

"2000 pixel 3D renditions of infantry"

I recall a few months ago when someone posted a screenshot of a G.I. off a fancy new shooter game Moon turned up his nose with the line "sometimes less is more". What that implies that we probably won't see lots of individual dangling canteens and grenades on soldiers. The design will no doubt be a huge improvement over CM1, but the models will be efficiently done.

My expectations are that the game map will feel a LOT less like abumpy chessboard. The houses will feel a lot less like plastic monopoly houses. Beyond that, its all pure fantasy on my part, probably nothing like the finished product.

Has anybody mention about "Scratch and Sniff" that will be shipped with CMx2. That way you can get the smell of actual combat
Only about a billion times! Not only will there be cordite, blood and guts, FEAR!, and fresh spring meadow, BUT the Space Lobsters of Doom: Guns or Butter module will bring both olfactory experiences to new heights of realism!

Steve is from Maine, dontchaknow and the boy knows his butter.

BFS5