Ouch. Tom Chick holds forth on CM:SF

Originally posted by metalbrew:

For me, personally, I'm OK with a flawed release as long as it's patched soon.[/QB]

Sorry, but i have to disagree.

The developers work years on a title.

They play the game over and over again.

The testers play the game over and over again.

The beta testers play the game over and over again.

After that a reviewer play the game and after a few hours of gameplay he said "AI doesnt work good, pathfinding doesnt work, and so on".

It´s ok if the game has some minor bugs but if a reviewer find bugs that kills the game it´s alarming.

@Panzer76:

It´s not very popular, but i thought the same.

The reviewer said "best game ever 8/8" and developed maps/scenarios for the company that developed the game he has to review.

If there is a conflict between the tester and the game he has to test ?

I dont know, but it doesnt matter for me, it stinks.

@Battlefront:

I preordered the game and it will be great.

It will get better and better with every patch.

But there is one point i cant understand.

Most discusions wont appear if there is a demo.

The customers can see how great the game is.

Release a demo with the preorder start and most peoples will be happy.

If i remember right, for the first Combat Mission was a demo first (4 Weeks before release ?).

Combat Mission 2 (Road to ...) has a demo first.

A picture say more then 1000 words (reviews), release a demo first next time.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me Achim, you might've missed the part where Steve explained how they did things. It seems to me they lay down ALL of the game first and tries to implement all they can in the beginning. Then, closer to release they do the great bug hunt. Now, it also seems to be that the wrong version got out to the reviewers. From my knowledge, that 1.01 was crucial. The guy who gave it 8/8 played that version and the guys called the game broken didn't. That speaks volume to me.

But who is to blame? Well, this seems to me to be a problem of communication between Battlefront and Paradox. It's sad that this kind of thing would happen, but there is no preventing it now. All we can do is hope that reviewers are informed of this incident and that they get the hand on the 1.01 before setting their opinion in stone.

Originally posted by Achim:

Most discusions wont appear if there is a demo.

The customers can see how great the game is.

Release a demo with the preorder start and most peoples will be happy.

If i remember right, for the first Combat Mission was a demo first (4 Weeks before release ?).

Combat Mission 2 (Road to ...) has a demo first.

A picture say more then 1000 words (reviews), release a demo first next time.

You are getting the demo and the game when they are ready. If you absolutely must play the demo four weeks in advance, by all means DL the demo (tomorrow?) and wait with buying it for four weeks. Problem solved!

Most discussions wouldn't appear if people would get over their petty wishes and think about it from the other side.

PS

If you knew anything about the Beta process you'll know that it's more likely to breed a deep hatred for the programmers then it's going to bribe you into writing up a glowing review. :D

Originally posted by Razer:

Now, it also seems to be that the wrong version got out to the reviewers. From my knowledge, that 1.01 was crucial.

Actually the version which went out to the revievers was the 1.0 version. Exactly that version went out to the publisher for global release too.

Exactly that version you will find on the shelves in stores and exactly that version will be the one most people on the world base their judgement on.

Now tell me what went wrong here ?

cheers

The DesertFox

Now, keep in mind that if you download the game from BFC you'll get the 1.01 version. Only Paradox (which I will be buying tomorrow) will have that version.

I've heard the patch will be out tomorrow too.

Yes, there is a problem with the initial version beeing bugged. But hopefully BFC will be able to urge the consumers to get the game patched in one way or the other.

Originally posted by The DesertFox:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Razer:

Now, it also seems to be that the wrong version got out to the reviewers. From my knowledge, that 1.01 was crucial.

Actually the version which went out to the revievers was the 1.0 version. Exactly that version went out to the publisher for global release too.

Exactly that version you will find on the shelves in stores and exactly that version will be the one most people on the world base their judgement on.

Now tell me what went wrong here ?

cheers </font>

"Now tell me what went wrong here ?"

All that happened is after a bit of extra tinkering the game got better! And after a little more tinkering it will be better still. BFC's going to be pouring their heart and soul into this game engine for years to come. Advancement after advancement.

I'm currently typing on a mac running OSX 10.4.6 Do people say OS9 or OS8 were 'gravely flawed' out of the box because they weren't OSX 10.4.6 at the outset?

Originally posted by Moon:

The Desert Fox, that is not quite correct. Battlefront and Paradox/Gamersgate are going to launch v1.01. v1.0 will only be on the shelf in some European countries (with the v1.01 available right away for those customers).

martin

Still you will see a lot of complaints about this 1.0 version. Something that should have been avoided in the first place.

1 month more work into the game and you most likely would have avoided all these negative waves from reviews already out.

cheers

Originally posted by The DesertFox:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moon:

The Desert Fox, that is not quite correct. Battlefront and Paradox/Gamersgate are going to launch v1.01. v1.0 will only be on the shelf in some European countries (with the v1.01 available right away for those customers).

martin

Still you will see a lot of complaints about this 1.0 version. Something that should have been avoided in the first place.

1 month more work into the game and you most likely would have avoided all these negative waves from reviews already out.

cheers </font>

Originally The Desert Fox:

martin

cheers

Ah yes and imagine the feedback when Steve says “Oh we have decided to put the release back to 27 August”!

Are you willing to wait until 1.01 is ready, how about 1.02 or 1.03?

The they have said they are in the job of continuous improvement and every title they have released has had more than one post publication patch to make things just that bit better.

As I said pages ago before this thread went off on a magical mystery tour, BTS/BFC finds its between a rock and a hard place.

[ July 26, 2007, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Well, it would have been equally avoided if Paradox hadn't sent out 1.0 copies for review. [/QB]
I take it the responsibility to release a game for going to the DVD presses of the publisher is with the developer no ? And if the reviewer gets exactly the same version the customer gets out of his box the reviewer is in the position to write a fair review no ?

cheers

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Are you willing to wait until 1.01 is ready, how about 1.02 or 1.03?

Call me old fashioned but yes I am. I am no fan to get an unfinished product out of the box where I have to search or wait for fixes which should have caught in Q+A in the first hand and integrated in the release version.

Unfortunately more and more developers/publishers seem to think that it doesn´t matter if they release an unfinished product with obvious problems to the unwashed masses.

Well then I suspect you will never buy anything (mobile ‘phone, car, computer, etc.) as the latest model always includes improvements on the previous version.

Which of course is entirely your prerogative, just like you can wait until CM:SF 1.06 comes out (whenever) before buying.

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Well then I suspect you will never buy anything (mobile ‘phone, car, computer, etc.) as the latest model always includes improvements on the previous version.

Which of course is entirely your prerogative, just like you can wait until CM:SF 1.06 comes out (whenever) before buying.

Exactly, if it doesn´t meet my expectations I ain´t gonna pay for it. The demo will show what is the case here.