a windy day in the syrian countryside

Nicdain

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Wicky:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Light – dews – breezes – bloom – and freshness; not one of which... has yet been perfected on the canvas of any painter in the world. (John Constable) sr

Has Charles thought about branching into Myst type worlds.... </font>

Thank you very much for the video!

The grass seem to work very well, especially the way it blends with the ground and moves in waves, apparently modulated by the distance from the viewer.

The tree model does not work all that well for me, unfortunately. It actually looks 'cartoonish' in the way those branches rotate like they are sitting on an axle.

They seem to consist of a cloud of billboard sprites, at least those in the distance.

I think that the cure for this problem in the present system could be the superposition of a horizontal translation component to the sprite center which increases with the height of this center. Thus, the bending of the whole tree can be emulated.

Also, I think that the oszillations are too wild in the video. I guess you wanted to show a extreme situation, but some times it looked simply too extreme.

In this context, I feel that the sprites should rotate less wildly and instead be displaced a little bit to the left or right. With all the necessary maths seemingly in place already I think that should not be too hard to do ...

Best regards,

Thomm

Now that you mention nitpicking: the main reason that the rotating branches look so odd is the fact that the lighting/shading does not change during the rotation. This is not particularly physical.

Best regards,

Thomm

PS: If you want to be left alone with tom w, just say so! ;)

They may look slightly odd up close up, but from further away the trees look frigging awesome. Except the palm trees. Their movement is just plain weird and unnatural.

Now, I realize the focus of the game is Syrians v USA, not trees v wind, but if there is any tinkering with the trees to be done, start with the palms.

Aw heck, I'm a Dutchman, what the smeg do I know about palm trees? Grain, salt, take with.

Looks really amazing! Can't wait to get sucked in. smile.gif

I think what some of the posters are responding too (and that you guys have not doubt observed) is that the top of the palm trees react sort of like a pin-wheel. The entire mass of leaves react as one unit and pin-wheel around the completely stationary trunk. If the trunks swayed slightly as well, it might lessen the contrast. If the palm trees leaves could also be segmented up like the bushes/trees in the foreground and then offset in time, it would add to the overall effect.

Keep up the great work you guys! smile.gif

Gpig