Thank you for CMx2 WWII ETO!

This is may be the game most here are looking forward to:

Combat Mission set in WWII

We won't be talking much about this project until after CM:SF is released for the simple reason that we can not afford to be distracted by something we aren't actively working on yet. What I can tell you is that the setting for the main title will be WWII set in western ETO 1944-45 timeframe. Like CM:SF the player will be in command of a task force based around US forces. Follow up Modules will cover other Allied forces and settings within the same WWII western ETO setting.

This one could be a REAL Gem after they work out all the bugs in the CMx2 game engine while finishing CM:SF!

There has been plenty of bitching and moaning this afternoon about the first title.

How many folks here have said "Thanks!" the second title sounds GREAT!!! smile.gif

Well let me be the first!

THANKS! BFC the Second title will be the one I will be MOST looking forward to!

smile.gif

-tom w

Originally posted by juan_gigante:

Tom, I applaud your positive attitude. Even though you didn't go whole hog for CM:SF, you didn't make predictions of BFC's collapse, you didn't accuse BFC of abandoning their customers, you didn't do anything irritating. There are those who should learn from your example.

Hear, hear! Thanks Tom. smile.gif

I think its great they're doing something different, although I detest playing a 'near future' (aka Sci-Fi) combat game; especially in the Middle East.

Whats with this 'near future' BS anyway? Close Combat developers seemed to have jumped on this bandwagon a while back when announcing CC6 will be 'Red Phoenix'...basically NATO vs North Korea..."in the near future".

Have to agree with Tom tho...at least the WW2 title will arrive after the marketing fodder is absorbed and lessons are learned from the first title.

GO BFC!!!

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

This one could be a REAL Gem after they work out all the bugs in the CMx2 game engine while finishing CM:SF!

This mirrors my thoughts. I'm not ecstatic about CMSF, but I'll enjoy it, I imagine. However, as much as I loved BO when it came out, it sucked compared to BB and AK. Same thing here, I suspect. SF will be revolutionary and all, but the ETO game will get the benefit of everything BFC learns from SF and will be an order of magnitude better than it would have been as the 1st release.

Is it just me?

The thought that every CMx2 game released in the next two or more years will be almost entirely American focused leads me to thinking I'll be looking into what the competition is offering. CMx2 will probably be a good game, but as soon as I read about the subject matter of the first two releases, I definitely started thinking that the CMx1 trilogy will be staying on my hard drive for years to come.

Yes, but unless you're terminally inattentive, you'll have noticed that each title will have a number of modules that add extra troops.

The initial troop-set will be US because that's the biggest market.

I fail to see how that decision could possibly be a shock to anyone.

As long as, in each case, the Commonwealth/British/some other bods get covered before minor US additions like the Marines, the better.

common060.gif

Originally posted by BigDog944:

Is it just me?

The thought that every CMx2 game released in the next two or more years will be almost entirely American focused leads me to thinking I'll be looking into what the competition is offering.

That look is going to take you all of five minutes at this point is my guess, and then it is back to twiddling your thumbs while waiting for the release of the Commonwealth module to CM:x2 WW2 in about 3-4 years.

Sorry.

All the best

Andreas

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BigDog944:

... leads me to thinking I'll be looking into what the competition is offering.

That look is going to take you all of five minutes at this point is my guess, and then it is back to twiddling your thumbs while waiting for the release of the Commonwealth module to CM:x2 WW2 in about 3-4 years.

Sorry.

All the best

Andreas </font>

• 2 months later...

I've been a loyal follower of the CM series since I first heard of it way back when. I bought all three games within weeks of thier going on sale. I probably won't be buying CmX2 until it becomes CMx2WW2.

The modern thing is just too . . . eh, what's the word I'm looking for . . . sterile? I remember trying to enjoy Steel Panthers when they went modern, but the hi-tech weaponry just literally killed it for me.

But, as has been stated, I hope it does well so that when they return to thier roots this grumpy old gamer will see a dream come true.

How about a Korean War add on, if not a whole game? Heck, you could do the historical war with the old gear, then you could do a modern, theoretical version with all the whiz-bang stuff.