Thank you for CMx2 WWII ETO!

I must say I find this negative attitude towards SF somewhat odd. Why is it such a terrible thing that not every CM game is WW2? Why is it so bad that US forces are included, even at the expense of, say, UK forces? Why is it a tragedy that CMx2 will add real-time play when WeGo is still included?

Don't get me wrong: I very much enjoy the WW2 setting, and I think the WeGo system is brilliant (and for serious wargaming undoubtedly vastly superior to anything else, including real-time).

I'm not American, nor am I particular pro-American (at least not in the "flagwaving patriotic" sense), but I really don't have any problem with the virtual soldiers under my command being American, and I strongly doubt BFC will stoop to representing US forces as infallable "patriotic heroes" and their Syrian opposition as "terrorist-supporting axis of evil".

In short, I just like to shoot people and blow stuff up, game-wise, and few games does that better than the CM series. So lighten up people and enjoy the fact that there is at least one company that is dedicated to making decent wargames.

Not real comfy with that space-lobster idea, though...

I really hope they are going to have some European country in the first module. The thing that would be really cool to have is European Rabit Deployment Forces (can beat any hamsters out there...) as that way one could play with almoust any European military. But I don't think it is going to happen,as modelling the units in ERDF is propably more work than the modelling of units in CMBB was. The great think will be playing some European country vs the US.

Originally posted by luderbamsen:

[QB] I must say I find this negative attitude towards SF somewhat odd. Why is it such a terrible thing that not every CM game is WW2?

It's different.

Why is it so bad that US forces are included, even at the expense of, say, UK forces?

It's different.

Why is it a tragedy that CMx2 will add real-time play when WeGo is still included?

Guess.

Not real comfy with that space-lobster idea, though...

Hmm, I wonder why.

;)

Seriously, though: I'll be buying CMSF ASAP, but my feelings toward the modern setting aren't, I think, all that different from TheBlackHand's. I'm looking forward to novelty of CMSF. I've played very few modern games. I'll be surprised if I buy many, or even any, modules for CMSF, but I'm looking forward to SF itself. (Err... I'd probably buy a module depicting a Space Lobster Fast Response Force moving into a major American city after a coup, though.)

[ December 17, 2005, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Tarquelne ]

Where would you prefer CM: ETO to start?

I personally can't stand the idea of more bocage fighting with brand-new factory-painted Shermans. With BFC's hard work representing house-to-house fighting I wouldn't mind starting things with the liberation of Paris. It would please the anglophobes to no end out there if irregular Free-French forces (along with civilian crowds?) were a major component. Fighting Panthers with pistols and molotovs.

Yeh, yeh, some of you still hope to replay the war day-by-day from the opening moments of D-Day to the final shots of VE-Day. Basically, redo CMBO but push it back to the beach.

Yeh, yeh, some of you still hope to replay the war day-by-day from the opening moments of D-Day to the final shots of VE-Day. Basically, redo CMBO but push it back to the beach.
BUT as we have all been told now with their new "limited scope" design philosophy the concept of from "the opening moments of D-Day to the final shots of VE-Day" is nothing more than a pipe dream.

BUT yes, bring on the civilians and the free french and the MOUT and FIBUA (depending on your nationality) in the cities and towns of the ETO of WWII! :D

-tom w

I really like this one;

Origionally used by fytinghellfish in this thread:

"In fact, Papua-New Guinea is thinking of offering two platoons: one of Infantry and one of engineers. They want to eat any Iraqis they kill. We've got no issues with that, but State is being anal about it."

LTC on OIF coalition-building.

I don't understand why the BFC's couldn't do a CMx2 'Korea' that is US centric if they are really so serious about being so myopic or in a positive sence manage CMx2 through such a limited scale and scope. Then do a CMx3 WWII ETO 44-45 that has at the very lest British & Canadian Forces that the player can go besides going the US, although going the Germans might be actually really be cool too!!! :cool:

Isn't it obvious that the WWII title will handle Operation Market Garden? We will have plenty of urban combat (especially in Arnhem and Nijmegen), a multitude of cool troops (paratroopers, SS divisions, Fallschirmjägers and so on) plus a lot of cool equipment that appeals to the large public(Tigers, Kingtigers, Shermans and so on).

All this put together with a good campaign game and I'll think we'll have a real winner, the most obvious campaign would be the Red Devils at Arnhem but there are several possibilities on both sides during Market Garden.