Steve's recent CMx2 Bones

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compliments for hte starter of this thread for his work on bringing up a lot of wee bones from Steve. smile.gif

Keep up hte good work ! smile.gif

And BFC have my full support on what they are doing with CMx2. Modules or no modules, I still would like to place my preorder, such is my faith in them. smile.gif

And especially] if it is about Space Lobsters of Doom. :D

Jim, never said it would be before the end of 2005, so no surprise to me ;) Last speculative date, posted last winter IIRC, was for a release next winter. We still hope to hit that target, but we'll only know better when we get into the winter itself.

fytinghellfish, [homer]mmmmmm.... Boddingtons.... garalarlarlarl...[/homer]

:D

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Jim, never said it would be before the end of 2005, so no surprise to me ;) Last speculative date, posted last winter IIRC, was for a release next winter. We still hope to hit that target, but we'll only know better when we get into the winter itself.

Steve

Steve

Sometime after the end of Janauary would be good.....I have an ongoing bet with Kip Anderson that it won't be ready until then, anyway. :D

Forget demos and screenshots, the only thing I (not to mention the rest of the world and his uncle) would like to know is: WW2 or no :confused:

Steve

I've got a case of it sitting here for you if you'll tell me something about CMx2 I don't already know. ;)

"Follow command" to be looked at for CMx2 ...

Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted July 27, 2005 02:06 AM

There is an inherent difference between "user friendliness" and "realism" and "playability". Here they are...

Realism is what governs CM's overall character. We look to see what is realistic, and what is not, and simulate things accordingly. This is our Prime Directive

Next comes playability. How well does that feature work in the context of all other features in the game. Does one run into problems with another and reduce overall realism, or does it allow for a gamey cheat, etc. etc. etc. If so, then we try to fix it so that it is compliant with the Prime Directive.

Last comes useability. Is the feature, which is realistic and playable, present unreasonable user interface issues for the player. If so, we redesign the user interface so that playability and realism are not harmed.

Other games do things the other way around... the make the game simplistic to use, simplistic to play, and realism.... well, not even the remotest of concerns for most games. The ones that do care about realism to some degree usually stop short at graphics and names of weapons and so forth.

The issue being argued about here SHOULD be argued at the useability level. But that isn't the case. Instead it is being argued about at the realism level. People might THINK they are asking abtou useability or playability, but in fact they are asking for compromises to realism. Because the interface is dead simple to use (sorry folks, it really is) and not that hard to master (most people don't have a problem) WITHIN the confines of realistic behavior, I see absolutely no reason to change anything. It's working just fine.

Now, something like Follow... there we have a real issue. Units should be realistically able to coordinate their movement based on the unit directly in front of them. If the unit in front stops, so should the one behind it and the one behind that, etc, etc. That is not possible in CMx1, mostly because of the difficulty in programming such a thing from an AI standpoint (given the nature of the engine's existing code). The ramifications of no Follow command are unrealistic and do limit certain types of tactics and tactical scenarios from behaving the way they should. So the argument for the Follow command is primarily about realism, but it is also about playability (vehicles do crazy stuff that increases their chances of getting knocked out), and useability (there is no easy interface for a work around, not to mention to get the behavior directly). That means the Fix O Meter tilts strongly in favor of us doing something about this issue for CMx2.

Hopefully by illustrating these two side by side you can see there is a HUGE difference between the two and our reaction to them.

Steve

Here are a few notes/bones on LODs (level of detail in graphics zoom outs and zoom ins)

KwazyDog

Administrator

Member # 302

posted July 26, 2005 06:51 PM

Sirocco dont worry, we *should* be able to have detailed running gear with suspenision, etc.

Something to keep in mind is that its amazing just how quickly you can remove details from a model as it moves away from screen yet have the human eye not be able too tell the differnce in game.

Dan

Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted July 27, 2005 01:49 AM

I don't know what the LODs will be like in terms of reductions. But the furthest out LOD will likely be something like 4 or 6 polygons like in CMx1. When something takes up, literally, 2 pixels on screen any more than a few polygons is a complete and utter waste. I'm going to guess that detailed suspensions will go away on the third LOD out from the highest. Just a guess that is when we can get away with wiping it off the model without the eye detecting it. The most close and next to most clolse will likely both have working suspensions.

Steve

[ July 27, 2005, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

• 4 weeks later...

Indeed, Tom. What else can we do? Begging is not on my list.......yet!

I fully understand BFC not wishing to give out details and screen shots of a project which still seems to be a work in progress, if this recent post is anything to go by:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The short answer is... we still aren't sure what we will simulate. Oh sure, we have a design that says what will be in, but this is something that hasn't been coded yet ... --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, while I am quite happy to wait "for as long as it takes", I really would like to know what I am waiting for. It is really very difficult to root for something without knowing what it is :(

I don't understand what harm it can possibly do to tell us, if nothing else, what the first release is going to be; unless, of course, that hasn't been decided on either :eek:

In which case, allied to the above statement, a release in six or seven months seems massively unlikely.

"I don't understand what harm it can possibly do to tell us, if nothing else, what the first release is going to be; unless, of course, that hasn't been decided on either

In which case, allied to the above statement, a release in six or seven months seems massively unlikely."

TOTALLY!

-tom w

Originally posted by fytinghellfish:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

[qb] Jim, never said it would be before the end of 2005, so no surprise to me ;) Last speculative date, posted last winter IIRC, was for a release next winter. We still hope to hit that target, but we'll only know better when we get into the winter itself.

Steve

I've got a case of it sitting here for you if you'll tell me something about CMx2 I don't already know. ;) </font>

Steve

Just to clarify - Steve never said end of 2005. Moon, however, said in this post:

"CMX2 is scheduled for, uhh, late 2005."