When should we start refreshing for 1.05

Originally posted by Other Means:

You mean Frasier Williams Logistic? They are in the Port of Liverpool building aren't they? I worked in a company called Amaze from out of there. I knew a guy called Alan who works for FWL though. I'll try and remember his last name if you think you might know him.

Other Means,

You are correct, the company I worked for was Frasier Williams Logistics. I also remember that Amaze moved offices and FWL acquired their office space. This must have been back in the 90s sometime.

I did know someone called Alan at FWL but it is so long ago now I can't remember his second name. All I remember is that he played SimCity a lot and kept tropical fish. Is this the same guy?

I parted company with FWL in 2004 when they made half the office redundant. Some time later they went into receivership and ended up being bought out by an Indian company called Four-Soft. I worked there for 15 years before I was made redundant. It's sad how some things just come to an end but I can't say I'm too unhappy about it. Now I work for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) in Wavertree, Liverpool in the games testing department. The money is a lot less but the work is a lot more fun! smile.gif I'm studying web development and hope one day to get back into software development but I'm not holding my breath. At my age (41) I'd probably have to start my own company!

Small world indeed, as they say.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Other Means:

You mean Frasier Williams Logistic? They are in the Port of Liverpool building aren't they? I worked in a company called Amaze from out of there. I knew a guy called Alan who works for FWL though. I'll try and remember his last name if you think you might know him.

Other Means,

You are correct, the company I worked for was Frasier Williams Logistics. I also remember that Amaze moved offices and FWL acquired their office space. This must have been back in the 90s sometime.

I did know someone called Alan at FWL but it is so long ago now I can't remember his second name. All I remember is that he played SimCity a lot and kept tropical fish. Is this the same guy?

I parted company with FWL in 2004 when they made half the office redundant. Some time later they went into receivership and ended up being bought out by an Indian company called Four-Soft. I worked there for 15 years before I was made redundant. It's sad how some things just come to an end but I can't say I'm too unhappy about it. Now I work for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) in Wavertree, Liverpool in the games testing department. The money is a lot less but the work is a lot more fun! smile.gif I'm studying web development and hope one day to get back into software development but I'm not holding my breath. At my age (41) I'd probably have to start my own company!

Small world indeed, as they say. </font>

Originally posted by Other Means:

Well, as an old web developer I'd say go for it. I can put you in touch with some people when you think you're ready.

Email me at my username, @blueyonder.co.uk if you fancy it.

Thanks for your kind offer Other Means. The course I'm doing is the Open University's "Certificate in Web Application Development", a 6 module course covering XHTML, CSS, JavaScript, VBScript, ASP (unfortunately classic, not .Net), MySQL, ColdFusion, and PHP. It also covers a lot of theory on web servers in general, such as security and scalability. I hope to finish it in the middle of next year so I may well send you an email then.

Cheers! smile.gif

[ October 08, 2007, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Cpl Steiner ]

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

Did he keep tropical fish in his underpants?

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

Wasn't 1.04 just released last week? A little too soon for 1.05

Its A LOT too soon for v1.05

They will determine the focus of what they want fixed, (and you never know there may be some debate or discussion as to the focus of the problems that the patch should fix, so they will have to try to limit the scope of the patch, this takes time maybe even a week?)

then they will try to code for that (the focus of what needs to be fixed)

then the beta testers will try to break it, to see if what they think they fixed was actually fixed.

The more successful the beta testers are the longer it will take to release v1.05

right?

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

Wasn't 1.04 just released last week? A little too soon for 1.05

Its A LOT too soon for v1.05

They will determine the focus of what they want fixed, (and you never know there may be some debate or discussion as to the focus of the problems that the patch should fix, so they will have to try to limit the scope of the patch, this takes time maybe even a week?)

then they will try to code for that (the focus of what needs to be fixed)

then the beta testers will try to break it, to see if what they think they fixed was actually fixed.

The more successful the beta testers are the longer it will take to release v1.05

right? </font>

Well the most serious and most awaited 1.05 fix for me is that for the completely broken multiplayer.

It is my major letdown from the start but sadly very few people played and therefore complained about it.It was never really playable but now its not even an option with connection problems, and crashes. It was about time they looked into it. Hopefully the horrible lags and bugs will go away with 1.05.

How can a 2007 game can survive without a proper multiplayer function. Dont you people get tired of the scripted single player missions?

Just musing out loud here, but if BFC could only somehow get the USMC module home by Christmas, bundling it with the 1.05 original game, it could generate a new wave of more favorable reviews and give the ol' revenues a shot in the arm. Even if the AI remains imperfect by then, CM is still light years ahead of its competitors.

Major overhauls like multiplayer would be deferred to the third Allied forces module: say, British 7th Armored, French Etranger and, say, Western-equipped allied forces -- Iraqi Army or Kurdish peshmerga with USSF or SAS advisers and support. All kinds of (ahistorical) Blue v Blue v Red multiplayer mayhem would be possible then.

Originally posted by Ali-Baba:

Well the most serious and most awaited 1.05 fix for me is that for the completely broken multiplayer.

It is my major letdown from the start but sadly very few people played and therefore complained about it.It was never really playable but now its not even an option with connection problems, and crashes. It was about time they looked into it. Hopefully the horrible lags and bugs will go away with 1.05.

How can a 2007 game can survive without a proper multiplayer function. Dont you people get tired of the scripted single player missions?

Yeah, I started complaining about it back in July, and there just weren't that many people who cared. Now that it's completely broken hopefully they will fix the lag and sync issues. I don't play anymore because I don't like the WEGO PBEM at all. I understand that a lot of people do, and that's fine, but the RT game was a lot more fun. I check back here a couple times a week to see if 1.05 is out, but that's it.

Originally posted by thewood:

I am amazed at how few people are complaining about the MP issues. Either a sign no one is playing, or no one is playing MP. Maybe Steve is right, most users are SP people.

I own all CM games, been playing since the beginning, never played a multiplayer game. Biggest reason is not being able to find my friends that would play against me. I did talk one into buying CMAK, and we started a one turn, but work and real life got it the way.

Thats why I am so upset about lack of real good AI, I dont play Real Time or Multiplayer.