I'm patient, so do I play 1.03, 1.05, 1.1 or what??

LeBlaque

I've purchased CMSF and it sits now idle on my hard-drive, not yet played.

I have spent (too much) time lurking on the forums, reading the positive improvements with each patch interation as well as the continued difficulties with graphic cards, FPS, Infantry TacAI, remaining bugs, etc., etc.

I would like opinions, from those that can be subjectively-objective :D , and not naysayers or "fanboys," if the product is worth playing yet, particularly since I'm willing to wait and play when it is in an "state of true readiness."

Ultimately I am interested in creating some scenarios and campaigns, as I did for CMBB, and thus am anxious to get into the Editor. However, again I am willing to wait until there is a general sense it is worth my (limited) time and effort at this point.

Feedback much appreciated.

Regards,

LeBlaque

Not worth it jumping into 1.03. You'll just burn yourself. Wait for 1.04 and see what it fixes (and what's the feedback like here). At this point no one knows if that's the version where CMSF starts being really enjoyable to play, or if that's not going to happen til 1.05, 1.1 or whatever.

I can only speak for myself. V1.03 is frustrating for me to play. It is much more playable than v1.00 through v1.02 and I know some of my old CMx1 opponents are having fun playing the game.

It just doesn't really work for me right now. But, if you've already got the game why don't you just try it? If it is not fun in it's current state quit playing for a little while (like me). If it is fun in its current state then future patches are just a bonus.

Only you can tell if it is fun for you.

Note that this reply is different than if you had not yet purchased CMSF.

If you want to design scenarios then the game has been ready since it was released.

If you want to play scenarios real time then I would say the game is ready.

If you want to play scenarios wego it sounds like you should wait one more patch.

It you want to play quick battles then I don't know when they will have improved it (I believe they said months down the road).

All just my opinion of course.

I finished playing a game last night. It had a small village with lots of open terrain. Things seemed fine to me. I didn't notice any weirdness. the units did what I wanted...I kept an eye out, and with using smaller way point jumps in amongst buildings and tight areas, things went well.

I've held off playing any scenarios that seem like they'd need really complex movement orders and the like but have had a great time just screwing around making test battles, checking out units, terrain, all that kinda stuff.

The editor is a blast, well worth jumping into. It's light years beyond CMX1 in control and flexibility. It's just as easy to use but more complex in what you can do with it. It will take some getting used to.

Give it a whirl, like Lurker said, if you don't like it don't play. But there is a ton under the hood that you really don't realize until you start messing with it. The detail alone for unit UI is surprising, it seems almost spartan, and then you start learning the interface and you are like, wow, there's a ton of info here, just presented in a manner different from CMX1. It's like the manual says you have to unlearn. In my opinion there is an onion effect just like CMX1 had...so, even if you don't want to play battles you could familiarize yourself with all the new fangled additions.

Mord.

FOr me the 1.03 is a step father into enjoying CMSF and its the First Patch where i started out to have some Fun. Till 1.03 it was weird and no Fun. You had to micromanage Everything. Now its getting better and gives me more hope for further Patches. If 1.04 does such a Great Step from 1.02 to 1.03 then 1.05 or 1.06 will be the Point where you can start playing WeGo or TCP/IP or Multiplayer.

Things that need fixing:

- ATI&NVidia Performance Problems

- TacAI Improvments

- More flexible and faster Reacting Infantrymodell (taking cover on Walls, going into Building straight from teh Strykers back aso.)

- More Realistic Spotting (better Unit Spotting - lesser Identifying)

- Real Moral System with Units falling back, dont fight till the End

This isn't exactly a question of when to schedule an appointment for spinal surgery. Its just a frickin' computer game! If there's nothing to watch on TV tonight crack the package open and entertain yourself. If you're 'profoundly disappointed' for some inscrutable reason you can always shut off the computer and return to watching 'Dancing with the Stars".

Originally posted by MikeyD:

This isn't exactly a question of when to schedule an appointment for spinal surgery. Its just a frickin' computer game! If there's nothing to watch on TV tonight crack the package open and entertain yourself. If you're 'profoundly disappointed' for some inscrutable reason you can always shut off the computer and return to watching 'Dancing with the Stars".

LOL... well NO, it's not, but it isn't the ONLY computer game on the planet either. If this one ain't yet working well, I can always play Civ IV, Forge of Freedom, Carriers at War, blah, blah, blah.

Originally posted by bwgulley:

Hell, you paid you're money just play the darn thing. Is it perfect no but what game is. I've played through the campaign 5 times and had fun every time. Did some dub stuff happen yes but, so what. I still had fun. It's only a freaking $45 game. Everyone needs to lighten up.

Outstanding post. Pragmatism rules.

Originally posted by Blazing 88's:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by LeBlaque:

LOL... well NO, it's not, but it isn't the ONLY computer game on the planet either. If this one ain't yet working well, I can always play Civ IV, Forge of Freedom, Carriers at War, blah, blah, blah. </font>